Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil recommendations

Old 07-18-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil recommendations

Just bought a 2006 Supercrew 4x4 5.4. I am getting ready to change the oil. I know that ford recommends 5w20. I have talked to other ford owners and they have told me to run anything from HD30 to 10W30 to 10W40. I live in VA. where thr temp can be 100 or as low as in the teens. I have always changed my oil at 5,000 when synthetic and 3,000 with conventional. I am probably going to run coventional oil only because I am not sure what the previous owner ran. I have heard more negative things when changing over to synthetic to conventional oil than possitive. Also I saw a little blue smoke from the exaust the other morning when I started it up. I haven't seen it since. Any suggestions?
Old 07-18-2008, 06:58 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

First, a belated welcome to the site! Doggone - I leave the country for a few weeks and there's a whole bunch of new members!

Suggest to stick with the OEM recommendations on viscosity. Strongly recommend to avoid single viscosity oils, and to be sure the API rating - SF, SG, SJ, or whatever - at a minimum, aligns with your vehicle's specs.

I'm a dino-person myself, but many members prefer various brands of synthetic or semi-synthetic. Not sure about any issues with jumping back and forth between types.

IMO, the key issue is to change the oil at appropriate regular intervals - the intervals you mention are good rules-of-thumb. Synthetics are probably something to strongly consider if you plan on keeping the vehicle over 200,000 miles. But - everyone has their own opinions, and I'm just offering up mine.

Blue smoke is typically oil, but sometimes can be a rich mixture. Suggest to monitor your oil consumption, and to 'sniff' the oil occasionally to verify that fuel is not draining down in the crankcase.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:52 PM

Welcome back! Thanks for the feedback. My gut is telling me to to stay with 5W20. I will be keeping an eye on the blue smoke.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:32 PM

There's no ill effects from flip flopping from synthetic to conventional and vice versa. As far as blue smoke in the morning, usually comes from oil seeping past the valve seals down the valves into the cylinders.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:06 PM

i would run secfide weights but run a synthetic . tv show trucks had a deisel unit showing them dyno the truck with reg oil and then put royal purple in and gained 8horses. im not sure if there is onefor your year is way better than redline crap
Old 07-29-2008, 05:05 PM
My girlfriend is white.

Originally Posted by fldave
There's no ill effects from flip flopping from synthetic to conventional and vice versa. As far as blue smoke in the morning, usually comes from oil seeping past the valve seals down the valves into the cylinders.
Well.... If the truck has over 80,000 miles on it I would run conventional oil if that's always been in it. I'll tell why.

When you get higher milages like 80,000+ you get sludge build up... now that's not a problem because it's minimal at that point. But you see if you start running synthetic your going to a high detergent oil that breaks that crap up and can cause problems. It can cause clogged oil pump pickups and make gaskets starts leaking. Some of your gaskets get plugged up with sludge deposits and the synthetic washes it out.... next thing you know you got a oily spot on your driveway and you slip and fall in it. Or worse, you step in it and track it in the house. The wife will be complaining and freaking out. You probably will be going without for a very long time if you know what I mean.

If the truck has lower milage then go ahead and run synthetic.... but don't flip flop back and forth. Run it or don't.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:41 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Agree with what has been said. Pretty much! I would definitely stay with Ford Reccomended 5W20, do not be concerned about your temp, am sorry forgot the state, I'm in Las Vegas. We haven't seen daytime temps below 100 since early June. Absolutely no problem with consumption. 172K, 4.2 V-6, pulling a 21 foot boat up a 2900 foot grade over 14 miles. I'm locked in second gear, running 3000 RPM, and no problems. Obviously, I would prefer a larger engine, but I got what I got. The oil does not break down, as we used to believe back in the 50's. Time will tell if your new truck has been used or abused. Glad you are aboard the site.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil recommendations