Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil additives

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Sep 08' TOTM Winner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Oil additives

Do you guys use any? I just put some Restore in when I did the oil. Since I did that is ok to use some Sea Foam in the gas?
Old 06-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Amatuer Lumberjack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ford tells you not to use any oil additives.
Im not a fan of Sea Foam either. I tried some once and all it did was make the, "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light come on.
I use Lucas upper cylinder lubricant as an injector cleaner and thats it. I used to use Valvoline injector cleaner and complete fuel system cleaner but for some reason I cant find it anymore, so I started using Lucas...
Old 06-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Sep 08' TOTM Winner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you notice any difference between the Lucas and Valvoline?
Old 06-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Amatuer Lumberjack

Not really. I guess the main difference is that the Lucas is more oily, whereas the Valvoline was like water.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sea foam has always been a good injector and fuel line cleaner.
I also have used seafoam to clean oil paths.. i had a truck with 150K on it and oil pressure started going down... i was worried about an oil pump... i figured i had nothing to loose so i put in a can of seafoam ( in crank case), ran truck to work and back and then changed oil and put on new filter... oil pressure went up to correct place and did so until i sold truck with 239K miles on it..

lucas makes an equally good injector cleaner. redline makes a real good injector cleaner also. just watch the ingredients.... some are solvent based and others are detergent based.... solvent based cleaners will eventually play with your seals etc...

Last edited by crazykarl; 06-24-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Octane
Ford tells you not to use any oil additives.
Im not a fan of Sea Foam either. I tried some once and all it did was make the, "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light come on.
I use Lucas upper cylinder lubricant as an injector cleaner and thats it. I used to use Valvoline injector cleaner and complete fuel system cleaner but for some reason I cant find it anymore, so I started using Lucas...
i have alwasy felt that if you use a good oil you shouldnt need addtivies... however if your vehcile is very high mileage and rings are worn and you just need to keep running it then yes lucas, restore etc will help to stop burning oil...
Old 06-24-2008, 09:26 PM
mmmm.....

Originally Posted by 94'snap
Do you guys use any? I just put some Restore in when I did the oil. Since I did that is ok to use some Sea Foam in the gas?
that is the biggest joke ive ever seen. i tryed it once... made my truck worse if anything.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:44 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I used Seafoam as a gas additive, one of it's many uses, and I couldn't tell that it made any difference, good or bad. Truck ran the same as before I used it.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:54 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Sea foam is a good cleaner. I use BG MOA it not only helps the engine by making the oil slicker (thats the best way I can think to describe it) but it cleans the oil passages really really well.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Amatuer Lumberjack

Originally Posted by crazykarl
i have alwasy felt that if you use a good oil you shouldnt need addtivies... however if your vehcile is very high mileage and rings are worn and you just need to keep running it then yes lucas, restore etc will help to stop burning oil...
I tried Restore once in an old Toyota 4Runner I had when I was in highschool. I couldnt tell that it made any difference.
IMO, if you engine is due for a rebuild, there is no additive that is going to fix it.
It kinda goes along the same lines as people who put thicker oil in their engine because it burns oil and knocks.

Quick Reply: Oil additives