The OFFICIAL Steel vs. Aluminum Fact-Checking Thread - Page 6 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans



The OFFICIAL Steel vs. Aluminum Fact-Checking Thread

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2016, 03:29 PM   #51
Junior Member
 
MrMeeseeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 22
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixShooter14 View Post
howdy. Nice to see a fellow ME.

I assume you're in the metallurgical field? Can you say where you work?
I'd rather not say where I work but metallurgy is a big part of it just not the only part.

ETA: It's not for Ford
MrMeeseeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:32 PM   #52
Official HTT Greeter
 
SixShooter14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,098
Thanked 133 Times in 106 Posts
Default

I hear ya.

I'm in the automotive industry. I work mostly with the Japanese mfgs.
(yes we have done business with Ford)
SixShooter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #53
Junior Member
 
MrMeeseeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 22
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixShooter14 View Post
I hear ya.

I'm in the automotive industry. I work mostly with the Japanese mfgs.
(yes we have done business with Ford)
Cool, as an ME? The automotive industry is where I intended my path to go but it didn't turn out that way.
MrMeeseeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:14 PM   #54
Official HTT Greeter
 
SixShooter14's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,098
Thanked 133 Times in 106 Posts
Default

yes. We design, fab, install, and service conveyor systems for Auto plants.

I've been lucky enough to see a lot of pre-production models. Pretty cool stuff at times. I am currently providing feedback to a couple Japanese mfgs about how to more efficiently assemble their new models. Suggesting small changes and pick-points. As close as I expect to get to designing cars...I'm hoping to move on soon and try for my PE license.
SixShooter14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:49 AM   #55
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 54
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Fantastic thread. Very informative.

Thanks to all who are contributing with insight.
mechanicaladvantage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mechanicaladvantage For This Useful Post:
MrMeeseeks (02-17-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #56
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 37
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Great thread with great info.
Thanks to all who have contributed their insight and knowledge
NightRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NightRodeo For This Useful Post:
MrMeeseeks (02-17-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 10:42 AM   #57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Here's my opinion, aluminum is much lighter than steel obviously, and I think aluminum is much expensive than steel. Durability wise aluminum win since aluminum is anti rust but I think steel is good coz steel is strong. So in my opinion I think aluminum and steel cannot be separated. Cheers
jameswafford034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 300
Thanked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBaudio View Post
The new ford f150 aluminum is pretty weak .i have seen many trucks brand new from other people and they complain about the same thing,I actly looked at their trucks,comes right from the factory or dealer like this on new 15,16,2017 trucks
#1 right around the door handles you see dents
#2. The front f150 emblems on the fenders come loose
#3 side of top quarter panels you can see outward dents like weld spots,seen lots.
#4 corner of bed by rear window meta is different on both sides where they press it to gether,so if the use a tonne cover it will never fit right ,you will get a leak,does not fit flat because of the metal out of wack.


I cannot imagine how thin that crap is. I put some noico on my door panels last weekend and was shocked at how crappy thin the metal was.
Speedfreak400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #59
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
Martian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pawnee, IN
Posts: 12,574
Thanked 1,137 Times in 825 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak400 View Post
I cannot imagine how thin that crap is. I put some noico on my door panels last weekend and was shocked at how crappy thin the metal was.
As already addressed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMeeseeks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBaudio View Post
The new ford f150 aluminum is pretty weak .i have seen many trucks brand new from other people and they complain about the same thing,I actly looked at their trucks,comes right from the factory or dealer like this on new 15,16,2017 trucks
#1 right around the door handles you see dents
#2. The front f150 emblems on the fenders come loose
#3 side of top quarter panels you can see outward dents like weld spots,seen lots.
#4 corner of bed by rear window meta is different on both sides where they press it to gether,so if the use a tonne cover it will never fit right ,you will get a leak,does not fit flat because of the metal out of wack.
****ty craftsmanship is not the aluminum's fault.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martian For This Useful Post:
MrMeeseeks (02-17-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 08:35 AM   #60
Member
 
Hawks-n-Sox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 33
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

MrMeeseeks:

Thanks for jumping on here!

I'm a naval engineer by trade. Galvanic corrosion is a major concern in my world. You've discussed corrosion to a minor degree. When you combine two different types of metals and create a cathode/anode, what would normally be the cathode and anode between a 600X grade aluminum and the type of steel used in the frame? We all assume the aluminum will be the site of corrosion. Is it possible that any contact point may accelerate the corrosion of the steel frame?
Hawks-n-Sox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawks-n-Sox For This Useful Post:
MrMeeseeks (02-28-2017)
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Small aluminum pieces in driveway Georgia Terrapin 2015 - Present Ford F150 11 10-10-2016 11:32 AM
Cast aluminum wheels Ckhris Ford Raptor Forum 0 10-08-2016 04:08 PM
vacuum problem ddaugh Introductions 0 10-07-2016 11:05 AM
Finally an "official" member Bandera Introductions 1 10-06-2016 02:34 PM
2015-Present Grille bug/rock deflector DIY Trek007 Custom Fabrication Department 2 09-28-2016 08:49 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:20 AM.


Copyright 2006 - 2017 F150Forum.com