General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oem jack junk

Old 05-30-2016, 08:57 AM
jim

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default oem jack junk

Has anyone used the stock jack? What a pos, tried to jackup truck just to see if if worked and WOW! the small shafts bent and twisted like a pretzel. Now I need new jack that will work, any suggestions...and what can I used go get spare tire down?
Old 05-30-2016, 09:16 AM

Received 173 Likes on 116 Posts

you talking about the rod that goes to the jack, or the jack itself?

the jacks are always 'emergency use' - you have to be sure the truck/car is not going to move at all (chock the diagonal opposite wheel) and that you're on level ground or they'll bend and fail for sure

I haven't had any problems with the jack handle/rod part but I only use that for the winch on the spare. either get a new one at a junkyard, or try to fashion one with some round bar and a grinder
The following users liked this post:
WestsydeGuy (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 11:48 AM
Cowboy of the Skies

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

The jack is sufficient for its intended use, which is if you get a flat tire.
Its not meant for use as a shop jack to do services and be used a lot.
When you're home use your professional floor jack and stands.
If on the side of the road jam some rocks or whatever in front and behind the tires on the opposite side of the truck first.....then loosen all the wheel nuts on the flat tire about 1 turn, jack up that corner, and change tire with spare.
It is more than sufficient for that IMO.
Ricktwuhk (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 12:37 PM
jim

like I said I was just testing it out for a trip I'm going on in about 2 weeks, I've seen many on that highway changing tires and thought " I should check mine out." good thing I did, it wouldn't lift the tire off the ground and as I twisted the neat lug wrench/jack crank the smaller bars twisted like a candy cane. going straight up under the location in owners manual on flat ground, good thing I wasn't on the crazy highway, or under any stress of speeding texters driving by not paying attension. you'd have thought that safety would be a concern, but like you said it's just for emergencies, but just once!!!! after that you're on your own!
Old 05-30-2016, 06:10 PM

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Can't use mine even if I wanted to, put a 4" lift kit on my truck. Road side assistance came with my truck for the life span of the powertrain warranty, and yeah they will come out and change your flat with the spare. Wife has had to do so 3 times already. No charge.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:27 PM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I bought a really nice little 3 or 4 ton (don't remember which ) floor jack at Sears to keep in garage. Comes in a nice little hard plastic case to keep under the seat. I keep it in the truck now, in case I get a flat on the boat. It wasn't bad, like 59 bucks or something. Just a thought.
floater212 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 03:56 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

And to lower the spare tire, you assemble the rods, insert the end that has the flat blade into the hole by the license plate (has a cover on it), and rotate the rod handle to lower.

It's all in the owners manual. If you don't have one, google your year and "owners manual", and you can get a free PDF version.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mod (Ret.):
Ricktwuhk (05-31-2016), WestsydeGuy (06-03-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 01:15 PM
jim

I know how to lower the spare, it's just now what do I do now that the jack's shafts are ALL twisted and you need them to lower the spare. guessing i'll have to buy more of ford's jack junk. all is was saying is you'd think it would be sturdier than the cheap junk they put in the truck for "emergencies".
WestsydeGuy (06-03-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 01:32 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Lol I have used my OEM jack at least 20 times. Use it to do tire rotations, use it to install wheel well liners, hell I used it to install my leveling kit! I actually feel like it is an incredible little jack! Has never failed me and works really well, has more lift than any of the floor jacks I've used and its super light and compact.
The following 3 users liked this post by berty:
floater212 (05-31-2016), Ricktwuhk (05-31-2016), WestsydeGuy (06-03-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 02:23 PM

Received 482 Likes on 354 Posts

I've used my 2014's OEM jack a few times already myself, and used the one from my 2008 F150 multiple times when I owned that truck. While I'm not in love with either, both worked perfectly fine when I used them. Further, the little "bars" you have to assemble to work the jacks and/or lower the spare have been fine too. I can see the basis of the complaint that the bars are a little flimsy, but overall they are more than fine if you just exercise a little caution in not forcing them to do something they don't want to do (ie: keep them in line w/ the rotational axis, etc.)

I also have a 2000lb floor jack at home to use when I work on my truck since it's much easier to use and much easier to get to vs. pulling all that stuff out from under the back seat ... but when I've had to use the OEM jack(s), I never worried about it and never had an issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wiggum:
floater212 (05-31-2016), WestsydeGuy (06-03-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oem jack junk