Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane level and the ecoboost engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 09:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Octane level and the ecoboost engines

Hi all,
I am still waiting on my truck to come from Ford but I am on this site so much its almost like I have it already. I am just curious what type of gas everyone is putting into their ecoboosts. Is it ok to use regular 87 octane?
Old 03-26-2018, 09:12 AM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

Turbocharged engines should always run on premium fuel (91), that's a rule of thumb. A quick google search will explain why.

Ford says it's OK to run regular (87) in your truck. Why? Because people wouldn't buy EB engines if premium fuel was mandatory. Why buy a more fuel efficient engine (not really, but whatever), if you need to spend more $ at the pump?

Ford also says you should run premium fuel (91) for intensive usage (heavy towing, for instance). Premium fuel will also provide better MPG, but the increased MPG is not worth the extra $ you'll pay at the pump.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:02 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

You can run either, as mentioned. When I got my 3.5, my salesman, another olde gearhead, and I got talking about that. To get the full performance out them, at least the 3.5, 91 or better should be used. After the dealer prep, he told me that they are directed to fill with 87, but recommend using 91+. After my second tank of 93, I could notice a difference. I have no thought about going back to 87, I did pick up a slight .5 mpg, but the performance made more of a difference to me.
Is it worth the additional cost? To most people likely not. I'm more on the performance side opposed to economy, so it makes sense for me.
Your owners manual also has a few words about it.
The following users liked this post:
Brayden Thurman (12-02-2019)
Old 03-26-2018, 10:09 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I know that a modern engine will pull timing when it detects knock from lower octane gas. Does a modern turbo engine also cut boost in response to detonation?
Old 03-26-2018, 10:11 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Depends on what you want out of it. If you want to be speed racer, or happen to be doing a lot of hauling/towing, then Premium, but if you are just going to be doing a lot of driving day in and day out, then 87 will be just fine. On mine, I see no advantage to running 91/93 octane, I see no better MPG, and the performance gain is negligible. To get it to be, I would install my 5* tune, but not during the winter, pedal is too sensitive and I learned my lesson long ago not to have too touchy a pedal when it is slippery out.

SO the answer is, no, you do not need to run Premium, only if you want to.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:11 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Good question, I don't know either, regarding the boost.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:13 AM

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Depends on what you want out of it. If you want to be speed racer, or happen to be doing a lot of hauling/towing, then Premium, but if you are just going to be doing a lot of driving day in and day out, then 87 will be just fine. On mine, I see no advantage to running 91/93 octane, I see no better MPG, and the performance gain is negligible. To get it to be, I would install my 5* tune, but not during the winter, pedal is too sensitive and I learned my lesson long ago not to have too touchy a pedal when it is slippery out.

SO the answer is, no, you do not need to run Premium, only if you want to.
^^^ This is the case for me as well. I tried and would be willing to continue to use 91/93 but didn't see or feel any difference. I do mostly highway driving. For sure if I had to tow something then yes I'd follow the manual and put in premium.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:20 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Originally Posted by Rey L.
^^^ This is the case for me as well. I tried and would be willing to continue to use 91/93 but didn't see or feel any difference. I do mostly highway driving. For sure if I had to tow something then yes I'd follow the manual and put in premium.
Same here. I can tell you from experience that if you are towing, especially up grades at higher elevations you MUST use premium or the engine will overheat. Been there, Done that!
Old 03-26-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 564 Likes on 402 Posts

I've noticed slightly better fuel economy and a much peppier, smoother running engine using premium.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:47 AM

Received 462 Likes on 251 Posts

What about using mid-grade? (89)

Do you get a little of column A and a little of column B?

Quick Reply: Octane level and the ecoboost engines