Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a front end guy--question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 11:41 AM
Sail fast, live slow!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Not a front end guy--question

2007 Screw, 170,000 miles. Got new Hankook Dynapro ATM tires on a month ago. I also had this slight vibration before the new tires so here goes............at about 72-74 I get a ever so slight vibration in the steering wheel--really nothing big but still bothers me because I usually do about 74 in a 70MPH zone.

When I go around a slight, slight curve the vibration goes away. Is this possibly a wheel bearing? No noise comes from the anywhere either. Oh and I brought it back to the tire dealer and had them balance them again just in case I lost a weight or they didn't do it correctly the first time. Could it be possibly that I asked them to use the inside stick on weights instead of pounding the weights on the outside of the rims--maybe that method isn't as good. Not sur eon any of this.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

could be a loose frt end part like a tie rod or ball joint. could also be a wheel bearing loose. have seen them loose before with no noise. when you go around the curve you put pressure on the bearing/frt end part and takes the play out of it.
best to get it checked out. most places will check your frt end for free or very min charge.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:47 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

You didn't mention if its RWD or 4WD. If 4WD you could also have a CV going bad. You said you had the vibration prior to replacing the tires, so its one of the other components that are turning causing it. That leaves wheel bearings, or front axles. When the tires were replaced, did they move front wheels to rear, or put the same wheels back on the same spot? Have you tried swaping front to rear to eliminate a bad wheel?
Old 03-23-2017, 04:22 PM
Sail fast, live slow!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't tried swapping front to back and this is in 2WD and dry pavement.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:31 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

But is it a 4WD truck? Even in 2WD mode, unless you have locking hubs, the front axles are still spinning, they just aren't connected to the transfer case. If you have auto lock hubs, those have been known to stick in the locked position, spinning the axles.