Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Looking for reliability advice on buying an F150 vs Tundra vs Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie Looking for reliability advice on buying an F150 vs Tundra vs Ram 1500

I am a Newbie to the forum and have never owned an F150 before. My last truck was a 2015 Ram1500 that I had to sell due to personal reasons. I am currently contemplating buying a new truck, possibly an F150 or Tundra. Things that attract me to the F150 are the 2.7L Ecoboost, how fast it is and the Panoramic moonroof option and all the technology that F150 offers. What is keeping me from moving forward is many youtube videos of transmission issues, electrical problems etc. faced by new owners. I definitely need something extremely reliable and last for a long time. This will be my daily driver and will put anywhere from 15k to 20k miles per year. I am not going to tow a whole lot with it and if at all very light loads. I'd like to hear about your experiences as far as reliability and problems (if any) that you have experienced with the truck. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
UncleG (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 04:59 AM

Received 357 Likes on 262 Posts

If you want it proven to last, get the 5.0. Also, the 2.7 eco is not "faster" than the 5.0. The Tundra gets 15 mpg, unladen.

BRING ON THE CRAZY FUSSING AND ARGUING !!!
Old 03-02-2018, 07:45 AM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

It's the number one selling truck for a reason. Not to be a bias fan boy (you are on an F150 Forum, after all).
FIL owns a 15' Ram, it's pretty nice. I personally wouldn't get a Tundra. You're safe with all of the engine options in the F-150. You'll probably start getting opinions from the purist and self-certified experts on which to choose. I would drive them all and pick your favorite.
If you do buy a Ford, be sure to post pictures and hang around. Good group of knowledgeable people here.
idrive (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 08:19 AM
Veteran, retired Navy..

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,704 Posts

You should get the Tundra,.........................then you'll know better the next time !!
Old 03-02-2018, 08:37 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I've always been a Toyota truck person, but Toyotas come with a "tax." I was not about to spend $7k for a 20 year old pick up in beat condition, but the general public loves them because they have proven to be reliable.
I wanted a reliable truck for a fair price, so Ford was the obvious option. Based on your requirements with the truck, I would consider the Tacoma over the Tundra. While the Tundra is a fair comparison with the F150, it seems like overkill unless you just want a "bigger" truck.

You've owned a Ram, so you know what to expect there. Looking on the roads here, the only 10+ year old trucks that I see are Fords or Toyotas. No Chevys, rarely Dodges. But since you're looking to buy new, you won't be dealing with the ridiculous used Toyota prices and you'll be getting a warranty on either truck.

If I were you, I'd make an appointment at a Carmax to try and drive newer models back to back. Then go to the dealers to play with the brand new models.

Of course, this forum will be more biased towards the F150. So I hope you started a similar thread on a Tundra forum as well.
Now if you were buying a used truck, I would rep the F150 the whole way. The used price difference would easily save you enough for maintenance and some mods in the F150, for a truck that I think is just as reliable.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:41 AM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

Please, don't compare Ford with Toyota when it comes to reliability. If you're looking for a reliability, get a Toyota. I'll get bashed for saying that because people here only swear by Ford, but let me tell you that my F150 is my first American brand vehicle, and by far, the less reliable I've owned (I've visited the dealership at least 1x per month since I bought it brand new in August 2018).

Numbers don't lie - Toyota has always been more reliable than Ford. However, I still prefer my F150 over the Tundra, and do believe that the F150 is a better pickup truck than the Tundra, but not more reliable.

Last edited by Eduskator; 03-02-2018 at 08:45 AM.
bassJAM (03-09-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 09:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken
I've always been a Toyota truck person, but Toyotas come with a "tax." I was not about to spend $7k for a 20 year old pick up in beat condition, but the general public loves them because they have proven to be reliable.
I wanted a reliable truck for a fair price, so Ford was the obvious option. Based on your requirements with the truck, I would consider the Tacoma over the Tundra. While the Tundra is a fair comparison with the F150, it seems like overkill unless you just want a "bigger" truck.

You've owned a Ram, so you know what to expect there. Looking on the roads here, the only 10+ year old trucks that I see are Fords or Toyotas. No Chevys, rarely Dodges. But since you're looking to buy new, you won't be dealing with the ridiculous used Toyota prices and you'll be getting a warranty on either truck.

If I were you, I'd make an appointment at a Carmax to try and drive newer models back to back. Then go to the dealers to play with the brand new models.

Of course, this forum will be more biased towards the F150. So I hope you started a similar thread on a Tundra forum as well.
Now if you were buying a used truck, I would rep the F150 the whole way. The used price difference would easily save you enough for maintenance and some mods in the F150, for a truck that I think is just as reliable.
I'll point out that I see a ton of older Chevy/GMC trucks on the road around here. I also see a bunch of old Fords as well. A lot fewer Toyotas but I suspect that has more to do with the fact that they didn't sell as many to begin with. I don't see very many Dodges. Thing is, each brand has some issues from time to time. Even Toyota (remember the disintegrating camshafts?) And when it comes to online research, you're only seeing the people who have had problems and are complaining. Not very many people start big long posts about how great and trouble free their chosen vehicle is.

By in large, Chevy/GMC, Dodge, Ford, and Toyota make good trucks that will last a long time given proper maintenance. There are some that require some more significant maintenance than others and you may end up with a big repair bill at some point for a specific problem with a specific truck. If you're honestly worried about it, put some money down on a good extended warranty from a reputable company. If something happens, you're covered.

So drive all of the brands you want to look at, figure out which one you like better, and go with that one.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:53 AM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeroCool
I'll point out that I see a ton of older Chevy/GMC trucks on the road around here. I also see a bunch of old Fords as well. A lot fewer Toyotas but I suspect that has more to do with the fact that they didn't sell as many to begin with. I don't see very many Dodges.
90% of the old beat up trucks i see around here are gm, some fords. i haven't seen a dodge or toyota over 10 years old in forever.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:13 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SCrewYou
90% of the old beat up trucks i see around here are gm, some fords. i haven't seen a dodge or toyota over 10 years old in forever.
I see an old stock looking T100 tooling around town from time to time. And some older Tacomas (as well as the pre-1995 US branded "Toyota Pickup" that are just rebadged Hilux's) built up for off roading.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:30 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've worked for a company with a fleet of 250+ light and heavy-duty AWD and 4x4 vehicles for the last 12 years. I'm the Director of Accounting and see the repair bills. We have 40-50 full sized half-ton pickups at any one time and have purchased some new and some used over the years. These trucks are driven by technicians, some of which go long stretches of time without supervision, so the trucks are not lovingly cared-for in the same manner as your beloved truck.

On average, our Nissan and Dodge trucks are worn-out (i.e. become not worth the repair costs) around 120k-150k miles. Ford and Toyota trucks are worn-out (using the same definition) around 250k-275k miles. These trucks idle a fair amount, do not see a lot of "highway" driving and are routinely taken off paved roads. Strangely, have not owned many GM products. We quit buying Nissan and Dodge trucks a few years ago.

I would not worry about Toyota or Ford reliability. You can still get a bad apple, of course, but the odds are in your favor.
Hotrod-Realtor (05-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Newbie Looking for reliability advice on buying an F150 vs Tundra vs Ram 1500