General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie...Fog Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Newbie...Fog Light Question

This morning I was in my truck waiting in a line of cars. I decided to play around with my external front lights by looking at the reflection in the car in front of me. I've got a 2015 F-150 XLT Sport edition.

I turned the light dial all the way to the left and see the lights go off (off position).
I then turn it right to the next icon and see the parking lights come on.
I turn it again and the headlights come on.
I turn it once more and it's in 'auto' mode.

When in 'auto' mode the fog lights would not turn on. They only turned on when the lights were manually set to headlamp mode. Any reason why that is?

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-21-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Because "auto" decided by the light sensor that the lights didn't need to be on.

If in auto once it gets dark or you're in a tunnel everything will turn on as normal.
The following users liked this post:
patrickwitherow (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by JC-Lariat
Because "auto" decided by the light sensor that the lights didn't need to be on.

If in auto once it gets dark or you're in a tunnel everything will turn on as normal.
Thank you for clarifying that! In what conditions does it automatically turn on the fog lamps - when it gets to a certain darkness?
Old 09-21-2017, 09:33 AM
music man

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

I do not believe the fog lights are part of the automatic setup.

I believe they must be manually operated.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Pigman67
I do not believe the fog lights are part of the automatic setup.

I believe they must be manually operated.
Thanks. So they can only be turned on when lights are not in 'auto' mode?
Old 09-21-2017, 10:00 AM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

No, at least my 2017, they will turn on with auto position if you set them to be on.

With the switch in auto, when the lights turn on you'll need to turn on your fogs for the first time. But after that they will turn on/off with the auto switch.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:02 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

if you leave the headlights in Auto mode and turn the fog lights on while the headlight are on, they will continue to come on each time the headlights are automatically activated.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

If the fogs light switch is on with the headlight switch in auto, then the fog lights should come on when when it's dark enough for the headlights to come on.

How does the fog light operate in the 2015? In my 2012, the headlight **** pulls out to activate fog lights. If headlight **** is turned to the off position, then it must be pulled out again when the headlights are turned back on.

On a 2017 Explorer I was test driving this past weekend, the fog light switch was a push button separate from the ****. IIRC, if the fog lights were on with the headlight **** in the "on" position, they turned off when the **** was switched to the "Auto" position. Pushing the fog light switch after the headlights were in auto turned on the fogs.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by jp360cj
If the fogs light switch is on with the headlight switch in auto, then the fog lights should come on when when it's dark enough for the headlights to come on.

How does the fog light operate in the 2015? In my 2012, the headlight **** pulls out to activate fog lights. If headlight **** is turned to the off position, then it must be pulled out again when the headlights are turned back on.

On a 2017 Explorer I was test driving this past weekend, the fog light switch was a push button separate from the ****. IIRC, if the fog lights were on with the headlight **** in the "on" position, they turned off when the **** was switched to the "Auto" position. Pushing the fog light switch after the headlights were in auto turned on the fogs.
Thank you. Yes, my fog light switch is a button - so you can't really tell if they are on or not while driving (unless you look at your reflection like I did earlier). I'll try starting from the headlight 'on' position then to the 'auto' position to see if that works.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by patrickwitherow
Thank you. Yes, my fog light switch is a button - so you can't really tell if they are on or not while driving (unless you look at your reflection like I did earlier).
There should be an indicator light when the fog lights are on. Either on the gauge panel or near the headlight switch. Not sure which for your truck. Also, if it's at night, you should see a noticeable difference with the fogs on vs off.

I'll try starting from the headlight 'on' position then to the 'auto' position to see if that works.
That shouldn't be necessary. When the headlights are on Auto (and it's dark enough for the headlights to turn on), just push the fog light switch to turn them on. Then, the heads and fogs should both turn on automatically when it gets dark.