Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie, advice on 8-foot bed

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie, advice on 8-foot bed

Hello, boys and girls.

I’m a Ford truck guy through and through, but haven’t had one in several years for several reasons. (My wife is one of those reasons. Sigh.) I leased a few in the past, but I’m a recently retired old fart now and looking for a super-cab with an 8-foot bed. I want to put an A.R.E. topper on it and make a cool truck camper.

Now, I wouldn’t mind getting something 2, 3 years old with acceptable mileage, but you can’t find the damn things in South Florida. In addition, going online, you can hardly find any new super-cabs with 8-foot beds on the dealership lots either. It’s a configuration no one wants, I guess. So I guess I’m going new with a custom order.

I haven’t walked into a dealership yet to inquire about doing this, because I don’t have the cash in my pocket right now and don’t want to waste their time; I’m waiting for a legal settlement to come in between now and the end of August. (And yes, I’m paying cash, no financing.)

My first question is, having to do a special order, can I expect no deal at all off MSRP? My next questions have to do with configuring a custom order, like eliminating the stuff I don’t want or need while getting the stuff I do. I’m also curious why some 2019 F150s on the lots still have the 6-speed transmissions and not 10. My truck will be used for ultra light duty, no hauling or significant towing. Just a lot of miles.

Thanks for your insights!

—Ira

Last edited by Ira7; 07-11-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel your pain. Dealers around me have nothing but rows and rows of the 4 door trucks with the baby beds. That goes for GM and Dodge too.

As far as your transmission question goes: An observation I've made from a few conversations with owners is that these days most people don't seem to know or care what's under the hood. But if true, it explains why almost all dealer stock I've seen has the base V6 paired with the 6 speed. Keeps the base price low so they can raise the sticker with interior options, or at least that's my guess.

Like you, I'll just have to custom order what I need. And wait for wife approval first lol
The following users liked this post:
Ira7 (07-13-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 06:40 PM

Received 110 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Ira7
Hello, boys and girls.

I’m a Ford truck guy through and through, but haven’t had one in several years for several reasons. (My wife is one of those reasons. Sigh.) I leased a few in the past, but I’m a recently retired old fart now and looking for a super-cab with an 8-foot bed. I want to put an A.R.E. topper on it and make a cool truck camper.

Now, I wouldn’t mind getting something 2, 3 years old with acceptable mileage, but you can’t find the damn things in South Florida. In addition, going online, you can hardly find any new super-cabs with 8-foot beds on the dealership lots either. It’s a configuration no one wants, I guess. So I guess I’m going new with a custom order.

I haven’t walked into a dealership yet to inquire about doing this, because I don’t have the cash in my pocket right now and don’t want to waste their time; I’m waiting for a legal settlement to come in between now and the end of August. (And yes, I’m paying cash, no financing.)

My first question is, having to do a special order, can I expect no deal at all off MSRP? My next questions have to do with configuring a custom order, like eliminating the stuff I don’t want or need while getting the stuff I do. I’m also curious why some 2019 F150s on the lots still have the 6-speed transmissions and not 10. My truck will be used for ultra light duty, no hauling or significant towing. Just a lot of miles.

Thanks for your insights!

—Ira
They're gonna try to sell you what they got, first. Lots of little dealerships will do special order with pretty good deals. I, too, wanted something they don't stock much, XL, standard cab, 8' bed, with 4x4 and 5.0. Found a little dealer in Loganport, Louisiana to order it.
Ira7 (07-13-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
They're gonna try to sell you what they got, first. Lots of little dealerships will do special order with pretty good deals. I, too, wanted something they don't stock much, XL, standard cab, 8' bed, with 4x4 and 5.0. Found a little dealer in Loganport, Louisiana to order it.
What’s the difference between XL and XLT?
Old 07-12-2019, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by mechanizeddeath
I feel your pain. Dealers around me have nothing but rows and rows of the 4 door trucks with the baby beds. That goes for GM and Dodge too.

As far as your transmission question goes: An observation I've made from a few conversations with owners is that these days most people don't seem to know or care what's under the hood. But if true, it explains why almost all dealer stock I've seen has the base V6 paired with the 6 speed. Keeps the base price low so they can raise the sticker with interior options, or at least that's my guess.

Like you, I'll just have to custom order what I need. And wait for wife approval first lol
My dealers have mostly 10-speeds, with the odd 6 here and there.

Do you think Ford simply had 6s left over, and threw them in some trucks until they ran out and go 100% to 10? And for light use, do you think there’s a big difference?
Old 07-12-2019, 07:00 PM

Received 110 Likes on 64 Posts

What’s the difference between XL and XLT?
XL is lowest trim level, lots of overlap between XL and XLT depending on options. Mine has carpet, power windows and locks so maybe only grill.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:55 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

You might want to re-think paying cash. You're more likely to get a better price if you finance, and with good credit you could get a rate in the 2-3% range. It depends, but car dealers often have incentives for that sort of thing. You can always pay the loan off in one big chunk in a few months after you get the deal. Keep an open mind about that.

I COULD have paid cash for my truck, but my trade covered almost 1/2 the cost and I got a 2.2% loan for the rest. The money I have invested is earning me between 3% and 8%. I'd have lost money to have pulled it out and paid for the truck. I earn more more in 2 months off that money than I'll pay in interest on my truck over the life of the loan.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:55 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Finance with Ford, enjoy the rebate(s), pay it off or refinance to a credit union with lower rate after you get the first statement. Too easy.
blkZ28spt (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 02:44 PM

Received 432 Likes on 374 Posts

My dealers have mostly 10-speeds, with the odd 6 here and there.

Do you think Ford simply had 6s left over, and threw them in some trucks until they ran out and go 100% to 10? And for light use, do you think there’s a big difference?
The 6-speeds only go with the base 3.3L now. Everything else is a 10-speed.

The 3.3 will probably suit you just fine, though. Funny that you find some, because I’ve seen Houston area dealers that have almost nothing but 2.7 Ecos up to a certain price point.

Last edited by Johnny Paycheck; 07-13-2019 at 02:46 PM.
06screwlariat (07-15-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Paycheck
The 6-speeds only go with the base 3.3L now. Everything else is a 10-speed.

The 3.3 will probably suit you just fine, though. Funny that you find some, because I’ve seen Houston area dealers that have almost nothing but 2.7 Ecos up to a certain price point.
I never checked the matchup between the tranny and engine, but now that you say this, I’ll keep my eye out for that.

Quick Reply: Newbie, advice on 8-foot bed