Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW TRUCK! list of things ford forgot.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 07:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Post NEW TRUCK! list of things ford forgot.

So you just got a new truck. NOW WHAT? Please share inspiration for the action and Pictures/How to keep your truck running as good and looking as pretty as that first day.

This is a list of Items that new truck owners want to pay attention to prevent issues down the road. This is not a MOD thread to show off your new LED bed lights!

I am going to try my best at keeping the list up to date and on the first page for easy reading. I am starting this thread for people like myself who love there truck. think of it as kind of a knowledge sharing tool for the beginner truck owner. Turning wrenches is my hobby and anything I can take off and clean, paint, wax, fix I will. So I have compiled a Check list of sorts of what to look for when you get a new truck.

Reason: To share all the things we learned the hard way!

Now this obviously depends on the amount of time, energy and effort your willing to commit, where you live, and how you use your truck.

1. Check the rust level, new truck low, old could be a lot. (got it home do a detailed inspection at your own pace, mine was about 2 beers an hour)
2. OIL INSIDE OF DOORS and wheel wells. (all those spots you see rust after a couple years)
3. Valve cover bolts removed and painted. (so they don't rust off after 3 years like mine did)
4. Spare tire condition. (just a good idea, you don't want to find out when your on the side of the road)
5. Check under the hood/dash any loose wiring, from aftermarket parts they took with them. (loose wires BAD)
6. Paint undercarriage front to back with gloss spray paint. (paint does not plug drains like rubberized undercoating, gloss is less sticky)
7. Paint or rustproof Calipers and Rotors. (keep the rooters from flacking and the calipers looking good)
8. Wheel well gap fillers/boots to prevent water damage to engine. (bolts and steering control arm)
9. Wrapped the Unwrapped portion of the AC line under the hood. (https://www.f150forum.com/f38/write-...better-217596/)
10. Remove steps and add a heavy coat of something to prevent pitting. (underside makes a "C" for debris to collect)
11. Check under the dash for steering control arm rust.
12. Inspect engine compartment for missing plugs or grommets plugging the firewall.
13. Remove plastic bed liner, clean & clear coat spots that are bare metal. then cover those spots with rubber membrane to prevent future rubbing. (rubber barrier tire inter tube pieces, spray glued to hold it in place during reinstallation of bed liner)
14. Ford replaced 4 of my lug nuts because Ford uses "chrome caps on there lug nuts" and 4 of mine were broke.

Last edited by jpetrach; 05-21-2015 at 07:35 PM. Reason: always adding more information!
The following users liked this post:
willow514 (05-19-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 07:26 PM

2013 5.0 valve cover bolts. while at the ford dealer getting turned down for this to be under warranty I say that the 2015's are using the same hardware and have the same front wheel well gaps.

This is the boot I fabricated from heavy vinyl.

These are the coil pack bolts on the top of the engine. I removed cleaned and painted black with VHT high heat paint.

Last edited by jpetrach; 05-19-2015 at 06:11 PM. Reason: add information.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:37 PM

Last edited by jpetrach; 05-19-2015 at 06:10 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 05-18-2015, 11:51 PM
Addicted to Oil

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well hell let me check my valve cover bolts.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:51 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

you'll be surprised under the dash (steering wheel column) surprised there's rust down there

oh ya double check grommets and simple screw on the outside of truck
Old 05-19-2015, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpetrach
This is a list of Items that new truck owners want to take care of to prevent issues down the road. This is not a MOD thread to show off your new LED bed lights!

I am going to try my best at keeping the list up to date and on the first page for easy reading. I am starting this thread for people like myself who love there truck. think of it as kind of a knowledge sharing tool for the beginner truck owner. Turning wrenches is my hobby and anything I can take off and clean, paint, wax, fix I will. So I have compiled a Check list of sorts of what to look for when you get a new truck. Everyone has to learn something for the first time.

Reason: I have a friend who just got his first new F150 and he waxes it all the time. So I ask what else have you done to make your truck stay beautiful. His response was what do you mean.

So what is on you check list is information of myself and others experience and how it was dealt with.
Now this obviously depends on the amount of time, energy and effort your willing to commit.

So you just got a new truck. NOW WHAT? Please share inspiration for the action and Pictures/How to keep your baby and pretty as that first day.

1. Check the rust level, new truck low, old could be a lot. (got it home do a detailed inspection at your own pace, mine was about 2 beers an hour)
2. OIL INSIDE OF DOORS and wheel wells. (all those spots you see rust after a couple years)
3. Valve cover bolts removed and painted. (so they don't rust off after 3 years like mine did)
4. Spare tire condition. (just a good idea, you don't want to find out when your on the side of the road)
5. Check under the hood/dash any loose wiring, from aftermarket parts they took with them. (loose wires BAD)
6. Paint undercarriage front to back with gloss spray paint. (paint does not plug drains like rubberized undercoating, gloss is less sticky)
7. Paint or rustproof Calipers and Rotors. (keep the rooters from flacking and the calipers looking good)
8. Wheel well gap fillers/boots to prevent water damage to engine. (bolts and steering control arm)
9. Wrapped the Unwrapped portion of the AC line under the hood. (making the air colder)
some good advise for sure, but some of these things might not apply to all do to geographical location, here in Las Vegas, NV we don't have much rust issues, My 97' F150 4x4 I just traded in had no rust anywhere
Old 05-19-2015, 10:41 AM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm glad Ford didn't add anymore to my truck. It's expensive enough.
beetlevegas (05-21-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by crzyjarmans45
some good advise for sure, but some of these things might not apply to all do to geographical location, here in Las Vegas, NV we don't have much rust issues, My 97' F150 4x4 I just traded in had no rust anywhere

I understand this is not for everyone but some issues stretch out side of the rust belt. the front fender boots are also great for mud. I was looking for this type of post to help me out many years ago.

Last edited by jpetrach; 05-19-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eco-Mica
you'll be surprised under the dash (steering wheel column) surprised there's rust down there

oh ya double check grommets and simple screw on the outside of truck

can you explain the grommets and screws so I can be more specific at the top?

Last edited by jpetrach; 05-19-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:10 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jpetrach
can you explain the grommets and screws so I can be more specific at the top?

ended up checking out the fuse box under the front passenger side. looked up and I could see daylight. (circled) its below the larger grommet. I do notice a smaller 1/4 hole where the arrow is showing but nothing plugging it. do need to ask about that. the screw's were missing on the wheel well by the door corner holding the small plastic edge.

Name:  k1p6CjE.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  189.0 KB
jpetrach (05-19-2015)

Quick Reply: NEW TRUCK! list of things ford forgot.