Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Truck Died (heading towards a Lemon)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 03:44 AM

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Default New Truck Died (heading towards a Lemon)

OK i need some insight for you guys on this issue.

I was heading in traffic towards Seattle for the Seahawks Super Bowl Parade today. come to a light in heavy traffic. Truck completely dies. No warning lights, no noise. nothing. everything went dark. was not able to restart nothing.

I sat blocking traffic for about 10 Min. I couldnt even turn on hazards. after about 10 min the truck refired and i was able to continue on, not to the parade but to Ford Service ( missed the parade).

Truck has 600 miles on it. Dealer did some testing with their PC said a Cell on the battery shorted out. can this be true? i had not battery light come on before the truck died. Dealer was not about to pull any codes. When truck refired nav did a full reboot so im guessing so did the truck.

why would a bad battery cause a complete power loss on the truck? with no warning?

Little back story, after buying the truck 50 miles out from dealer the TPMS light came on. went back to dealer they changed the TPMS controller and Body control Module. picked up truck and it repeated 70 miles out from Dealer. then Big Blue Ford gets involved and we find out the truck was built missing a TPMS sensor in the truck, thus the light. Ford says the light should have come on right away but it didnt.

Little freaked out buying a new truck and 2 major issues in under 600 miles.

Just think of the problems i would be in rolling down the freeway at 65 and i loose power? no hazards to alert other drivers. No power steering, No power brakes. I could man handle it off the road if i have time and i got the E-brake. NO feeling confident in Ford right now.

MY truck is a NEW 2013 F150 FX4.

any ideas guys?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:13 AM
Zax
♫♪ I Hold On ♫♪

Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts

To me it does sound like a battery. I can understand your concern and all but Ford does make good trucks, stick with it just a bit longer before giving up. I agree that these problems shouldn't happen but it does, with any brand.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:34 AM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

While it's certainly no fun to have troubles with a new truck. It sounds like your dealer is trying to resolve things as they happen. I wouldn't be too alarmed, I've owned many trucks over the years and a couple that had early issues. Once those annoying issues were resolved the rest of the time I owned those trucks were trouble free.

I know it's hard not to wonder what's next but just drive your truck and try not to worry that something may arise. Don't let a couple issues ruin things.
The following users liked this post:
Wanted33 (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 07:35 AM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mecha
OK i need some insight for you guys on this issue.

I was heading in traffic towards Seattle for the Seahawks Super Bowl Parade today. come to a light in heavy traffic. Truck completely dies. No warning lights, no noise. nothing. everything went dark. was not able to restart nothing.

I sat blocking traffic for about 10 Min. I couldnt even turn on hazards. after about 10 min the truck refired and i was able to continue on, not to the parade but to Ford Service ( missed the parade).

Truck has 600 miles on it. Dealer did some testing with their PC said a Cell on the battery shorted out. can this be true? i had not battery light come on before the truck died. Dealer was not about to pull any codes. When truck refired nav did a full reboot so im guessing so did the truck.

why would a bad battery cause a complete power loss on the truck? with no warning?

Little back story, after buying the truck 50 miles out from dealer the TPMS light came on. went back to dealer they changed the TPMS controller and Body control Module. picked up truck and it repeated 70 miles out from Dealer. then Big Blue Ford gets involved and we find out the truck was built missing a TPMS sensor in the truck, thus the light. Ford says the light should have come on right away but it didnt.

Little freaked out buying a new truck and 2 major issues in under 600 miles.

Just think of the problems i would be in rolling down the freeway at 65 and i loose power? no hazards to alert other drivers. No power steering, No power brakes. I could man handle it off the road if i have time and i got the E-brake. NO feeling confident in Ford right now.

MY truck is a NEW 2013 F150 FX4.

any ideas guys?
A battery can fail at any time. That is why you have roadside assistance. Concerning the TPM, that won't keep you from kicking the tires and light the fires. You issues are pretty minor compared to what could go wrong.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:40 AM

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by little nail
A battery can fail at any time. That is why you have roadside assistance. Concerning the TPM, that won't keep you from kicking the tires and light the fires. You issues are pretty minor compared to what could go wrong.
agreed minor to some extent.
but after putting a huge chuck of change of a new truck i dont expect it to start falling apart soon as i drive off.
all this stuff happened within 600 miles of driving off the new lot.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:59 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Had the same thing happen with my 2000 Tundra, stopped at a light and it went dead. Turned the key to restart it and nothing, tried again after a few minutes and it started. I limped to the shop and they said it was a shorted cell in the battery. They replaced the battery and it never happened again. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:52 AM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

You are not eligible for lemon. That takes unresolved problems. Unfortunately yours has a different problem every time.

Sucks. But I doubt battery was the cause very much.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:58 AM
Beach bumming it...

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Oddly enough it seems to be a problem with the 2012 - 2013s. Search it a little. I don't know if Ford put the wrong battery or whats happening.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/dead-battery-189666/

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/31...d-battery.html

http://www.f150online.com/forums/200...overnight.html

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...ead-again.html

Last edited by Saltlife; 02-06-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:15 AM

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Don't get too worried. My dads Mercedes was built with two batteries. A main and a auxiliary. 1000 miles from new, the Auxiliary failed catastrophically. Left the car stranded as it did something to the main too. Dealer fixed it in 30 min and from that day we never had a problem again.

Now that may be Mercedes but it gives you an idea that it happens to many brands, even the ones marked as high end. Chances are your truck will be completely fine.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Mecha
...Little freaked out buying a new truck and 2 major issues in under 600 miles...
Hi Mecha,

I updated your case with this information and brought it to the attention of your regional customer service manager. Please keep me in the loop and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Crystal

Quick Reply: New Truck Died (heading towards a Lemon)