General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tire glitches

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tire glitches

Hello all. Just replaced the tires on my 15' F150. Same size 315/70R17, different brand. Ran this same size for the last 40k miles with no issues, never recalibrated the speedo. Everything seemed fine driving around town after install, but once I got on the freeway I started getting a bunch of messages on my dash. "Hill Decent Control Fault", "Service AdvanceTrac", "ABS" light is now on, "Hill Start Assist Not Available", and even when I got home and backed into my driveway a "Check Rear Park Aid" light came on. Tire shop of course says it couldn't have anything to do with their work. Never had any issues like this since 2015 and 90k miles. Any ideas what could have happened at the tire shop or why changing the tire could cause this?

Last edited by BloydEcoBoost15'; 07-18-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:09 PM

Any ideas anyone? I use a GPS speed check app to verify my speed as compared to the speedometer. I thought maybe these tires are slightly larger because it's a different manufacturer, but using this shows me that the percentage my speedo if off with these new tires is the same as the old tires. I asked the tire shop if possibly damaging one of the sensors inside the tires could cause this, and they told me if the sensor was damaged or fell off, I would basically be getting a flat tire notice, which I'm not.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:13 PM

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts

A couple of things come to mind. "Same size" tires can vary by manuf. from 1/2 to 3/4." Look at the actual diameter of the old vs new.

The shop could have also disturbed a sensor. Take a look under the truck
Old 07-18-2019, 12:46 PM

Received 540 Likes on 449 Posts

wheel speed sensor may have come disconnected. As mentioned by @ztman check connections at hub.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:08 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Did you replace all 4? If you didn't that's the problem.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:16 PM

I'll look around for disconnected wires under the truck. Yes I replaced all 4 tires.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:27 PM

So after digging around a bit under the truck I found something that didn't look right. As you can see in the picture, the drivers side has a cable routed high with very little room for wheel clearance. I guess when the tire shop reinstalled this wheel they must have pushed the cable up and wedged it against the rim/wheel. After driving like this for a short period of time it wore right through the cable and both conductors inside. At this point I just spliced the conductors back together as a band aid till I can get the cable replaced.

I also included a picture of the passenger side cable. As you can see on the passenger side they routed the cable lower (mounting bracket facing down) leaving plenty of clearance. On the drivers side they routed the cable high (mounting bracket facing up) with very little clearance. I don't see any reason why someone would route it so close to the wheel. I was very easy to flip the mounting bracket 180 degrees to gain more clearance. Does anyone see this same installation technique under their trucks?

Quick Reply: New tire glitches