General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New purchase wasn't inspected

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New purchase wasn't inspected

So I purchased a 2017 F-150 and transferred tags over from a trade in. I was given the temporary registration to use in case I was pulled for any reason. Then about 2 weeks later when I called to see why I had not received the new registration yet I was told that I needed to bring the truck in because they never inspected it therefore couldn't send for the registration.

How pissed should I be that I was sold a brand new truck that had not been inspected. Anyone know what the normal procedure for a dealership is with new vehicles and inspections? It seems to me that Ford would be liable for something that may go wrong. For example, what if lugs on a tire were not on tight and a tire came off?

The dealership offered me a tank of gas for my trouble. Should I be more upset that this oversight happened? Is there something I should have done or known to make sure it was inspected?

Any info will be helpful.

Thank you
TarheelF150
Old 05-09-2017, 10:17 AM

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I think you are overestimating the value of this inspection. It's likely just a state requirement, although I don't know where you are located.

I'd say call it a free tank of gas and a win. Make sure you go in on empty
Old 05-09-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 322 Likes on 237 Posts

Disclaimer: This is based on my experience in California, not sure how it applies to other states.

I don't think you should be upset or concerned, sounds like a very minor oversight by the dealership. I think you are thinking of 2 different 'inspections'. Whatever inspections and checks ford does on all their new vehicles I am confident ford has done and you have nothing to worry about safety wise.

The inspection which wasn't done was the state inspection, and most likely this was just paperwork that didn't make it to the DMV. The state inspection is literally just some dude walking around your truck with a clipboard looking at tags and a couple other things. I wouldn't be concerned at all. Its an inconvenience that you had to get this done yourself, but sounds like ford tried to make it right with a free tank of gas (hopefully you have a 36 gal tank and it was empty).

Last edited by redranger04g; 05-09-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the feedback. I do understand the difference between the initial Ford inspection and the State inspection (I live in NC). I have to imagine that Ford will inspect the vehicles before putting them on the lot which would cover any potential serious issues. If it is actually just the state inspection then a tank of gas seems worth it. And yes, I do have the 36 gallon tank. And yes, I will be delaying the visit for a few more days to take full advantage. A free $75 fill up is always good.

Thank you both for your quick responses.

Maybe I just need to back off the ledge a little and enjoy the fantastic truck that I am strutting around in.

THF150
Old 05-09-2017, 11:10 AM

Received 322 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by TarheelF150
Thank you for the feedback. I do understand the difference between the initial Ford inspection and the State inspection (I live in NC). I have to imagine that Ford will inspect the vehicles before putting them on the lot which would cover any potential serious issues. If it is actually just the state inspection then a tank of gas seems worth it. And yes, I do have the 36 gallon tank. And yes, I will be delaying the visit for a few more days to take full advantage. A free $75 fill up is always good.

Thank you both for your quick responses.

Maybe I just need to back off the ledge a little and enjoy the fantastic truck that I am strutting around in.

THF150
Enjoy it!

For what it's worth, to get your registration from the DMV they could care less about the quality control inspections car manufacturers perform on their new vehicles. That inspection has been done on your truck so have no fear.

A quick google search for NC state inspection showed the 'inspection' ford forgot to do covers the following: "This inspection determines whether the vehicle is road worthy. Items inspected include headlights, accessory lights, directional signals, foot brake, parking brake, steering and windshield wipers."

Like I said, it's a joke, you can go do this inspection yourself in 2 minutes. Enjoy the truck and the free tank of gas!
The following 2 users liked this post by redranger04g:
Ricktwuhk (05-09-2017), RLXXI (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 11:31 AM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Be patient. It took 4-5 weeks before I got my tags due to the county waiting for paperwork.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

When we did pre delivery inspections before sale it was no more than removing transport protection tape/plastic, make sure everything worked, lights, wiper/washer etc, check all fluid levels, tire pressure, reset from transport mode where applicable then give each one a short test drive to make sure there were no NVH issues then they got washed and put on the lot.
The following users liked this post:
JAMADOR (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 06:21 AM

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

^ What he said
Old 05-10-2017, 06:59 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by TarheelF150

THF150
This last sentence is what wraps it up. A dealer that calls you, apologizes for the inconvenience with a full tank of gas? They get a star for that one, and at the very least, a warm handshake from you for the good service they just did.

I recently read in another thread on this site how we only read the negative things about our trucks or the dealers that sell/service them. No one of course takes time out of their day to state how well a truck runs, or how well they were handled. In your case, the dealer handled it very well. Kudo's to them.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 05-10-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:00 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Big difference between required state inspection and Ford pre-delivery inspection.