General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner

I just bought a 1997 F150 4.2 and I am having a real problem I can drive about 4 miles and the temp gauge is pegged out. I replaced the thermostat but this did not fix the problem. The top radiator hose is hot and really under pressure, the bottom hose is barely warm.does anyone have a solution or a way I can test if it is the radiator or a waterpump.

The coolent level is full but I don't have any heat coming out on the inside.

Thanks in advance
Don
Old 03-11-2011, 11:19 PM
I luvs my trucks

Take out the t-stat and see if it does the same thing. You have a restriction of water flow somewhere.Check for a clogged radiator or a blockage in a hose.Or, the water pump itself may not be working.Good luck!
Old 03-12-2011, 10:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As said above, looks to be restricted. The cheapest way to test is to disconnect the top hose, drain the radiator and then disconnect the lower hose. Use a garden hose to flush the radiator and see if there is a restriction. If you get proper flow then you have a stoppage or restriction somewhere else. Also, just because you have a new t-stat doesn't mean that it works, place it in a pot of boiling water, you will hear it click if it is in working condition.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:07 PM

I had the thermomstat changed at a shop. We thought of that the mechanic put in a second one, it still got hot. I just talked to the original owner and he said that he had used bargsleak because there was a water leak it was the water pump. This all started when it got so cold here in texas.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:16 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

ya, thats not good, could plug holes in radiator or the block. try what the guy said about the radiator and hope for that or heater core, if block is plugged its not gonna be an easy fix. Also did he replace water pump or consider the barrs a fix? cause if so it wont last long.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you said it happened during our recent freeze then I would say you may have a scale clump that gathered in the block or radiator. The original owner probably used more water than antifreeze so the water froze and attracted the scale, scale formed a clump that won't break apart. Another scenario, from before, broken fin on water pump. Hope for the pump or radiator problem. Pray it's not a block issue.

Last edited by ANT2010KR; 03-12-2011 at 11:09 PM.

Quick Reply: New owner