General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New F150 Won't Throttle Back.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 12:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Question New F150 Won't Throttle Back.

I have 800 miles on my new F150 2.7 twin turbo. I don't know if this is normal, but it seems that the truck won't coast down when I let off the gas. If I am going about 40mph and let off the gas, the truck continues on with very little drop in speed. The tach stays around 12-1300. Do these trucks have lock-up torque converters? If so, mine doesn't seem to be unlocking.

It is quite noticeable since more use of the brakes is required to slow down.

Not on cruise control, no floor mats or carpeting. Is this normal?

Last edited by NightWing; 04-27-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:16 PM
No longer stuck in 2003

Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Are you in tow/haul mode?
Old 04-27-2017, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Aragorn
Are you in tow/haul mode?
No.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:13 PM
No longer stuck in 2003

Sorry, just asking the dumb questions to get them out of the way but cruise control is off I assume as well. Honestly if it's maintaining speed even going up a hill something in the drive by wire system may be wrong. I'm not familiar with the newer trucks but if it doesn't slow down even going up hill I'd get it into the shop.

Others might be able to tell you closer where to look but sticking throttle is not good.

Edit: Have you removed the floor mat?

Last edited by Aragorn; 04-27-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:58 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Aragorn
Sorry, just asking the dumb questions to get them out of the way but cruise control is off I assume as well. Honestly if it's maintaining speed even going up a hill something in the drive by wire system may be wrong. I'm not familiar with the newer trucks but if it doesn't slow down even going up hill I'd get it into the shop.

Others might be able to tell you closer where to look but sticking throttle is not good.

Edit: Have you removed the floor mat?
Last line in the original post. No floor mats, no carpet. Just the vinyl floor.

The idle seems high. When I first start it up at home, I really have to hold the brakes when I put it in reverse because it is rarin' to go.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:11 PM
No longer stuck in 2003

Originally Posted by NightWing
Last line in the original post. No floor mats, no carpet. Just the vinyl floor.

The idle seems high. When I first start it up at home, I really have to hold the brakes when I put it in reverse because it is rarin' to go.
Missed that sorry, how high is the idle in park? My rust bucket version 2003 wants to go when in gear as well but I don't have to stand on the brake either. Is it a 16 or 17 and is it RWD or 4x4?
Old 04-27-2017, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by aragorn
missed that sorry, how high is the idle in park? My rust bucket version 2003 wants to go when in gear as well but i don't have to stand on the brake either. Is it a 16 or 17 and is it rwd or 4x4?
2017 4x4 2.7.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:30 PM

Question

Today I did an experiment. I was driving along a smooth, flat road, am running about 42 mph. I took my foot off the gas and the truck continued on, barely dropping speed. Once down to 38mph, it hung there for a bit, but never rolling to a stop. The transmission indicator showed 5th gear.

I have never had a vehicle like this. Since the advent of the lockup torque converter, slowing down would unlock the converter and the tach would drop. I don't know if Ford uses a lockup convertor on these trucks.This truck stays hitched up down to idle speed, it seems. My concern is brake wear because the brakes are fighting the engine as I slow down. Not a whole lot perhaps, but I can tell because I need more brake pedal to execute a stop.

No, I am not on cruise control. I am not on Tow/Haul. I am not on Sport. This truck has no floor mats and no carpet. It has the rubber floor. There is nothing blocking the accelerator.

I am 40 some odd miles from the selling dealer and I don't want to drive down and spend a day while they do a witch hunt. If I had an idea if this is a known issue, the odds are better it will be corrected quickly.

Has anyone had this same issue? Is it considered normal today?
Old 04-28-2017, 03:41 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by NightWing
Today I did an experiment. I was driving along a smooth, flat road, am running about 42 mph. I took my foot off the gas and the truck continued on, barely dropping speed. Once down to 38mph, it hung there for a bit, but never rolling to a stop. The transmission indicator showed 5th gear.

I have never had a vehicle like this. Since the advent of the lockup torque converter, slowing down would unlock the converter and the tach would drop. I don't know if Ford uses a lockup convertor on these trucks.This truck stays hitched up down to idle speed, it seems. My concern is brake wear because the brakes are fighting the engine as I slow down. Not a whole lot perhaps, but I can tell because I need more brake pedal to execute a stop.

No, I am not on cruise control. I am not on Tow/Haul. I am not on Sport. This truck has no floor mats and no carpet. It has the rubber floor. There is nothing blocking the accelerator.

I am 40 some odd miles from the selling dealer and I don't want to drive down and spend a day while they do a witch hunt. If I had an idea if this is a known issue, the odds are better it will be corrected quickly.

Has anyone had this same issue? Is it considered normal today?
If you are coasting at 40mph in 5th gear and you manually shift to Neutral, does it allow it to naturally slow down?

If shifting to N makes a difference, then I'd be calling the dealer and asking for a new tranny and TC.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:48 PM

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Isn't this truck a "drive by wire"? Could be a bad accelerator assembly sending incorrect voltage to throttle body ???