Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (er) Truck or Rebuild 1997 F150

Old 07-14-2019, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (er) Truck or Rebuild 1997 F150

I have a 1997 F 150 XLT 5.4 L with 375K+ miles. Its my favorite vehicle ever and its only left me stranded 2x, once when the idler pully seized and the S belt burned though and once when one of the spark plugs blew out of the motor. I did one time have to replace the heads some years back when one of them developed a coolant leak. I drove the truck cross country numerous times but kept good maintenance on the truck. no transmission problems ever. Replaced the AC a couple of times, heater core once. The truck was in the garage for 6 years as I was given a company truck until recently when I was laid off. Since getting my truck out of "mothballs" it has been beset with numerous aggravating problems (O2 sensor needed to be replaced, tie rods ends needed to be replaced, odometer gear disintegrated, spark plug blew out of the engine, replaced fuel pump, plastic part in 3rd door brittle and broke (couldn't open door), dash panels brittle and cracking, buttons/switches old and not working, etc. I have repaired each of these problems as they occurred but it is aggravating having to fix one part then the other. Having not shopped for a truck (or any vehicle) in over 20 years I am shocked at the prices and at 62 yo I loathe getting a $500 payment for 5 years. I want to use my truck to pull a 19-24' travel trailer (bumper pull) that would have some mountain travel but mostly more flat land towing. With reliability and performance being paramount but keeping an eye on $$ can I rebuild the engine? Replace the engine with new? Bite the bullet and get a new/newer truck?
Old 07-14-2019, 09:24 AM

Received 265 Likes on 208 Posts

Letting a truck sit and NOT driving it is the worst thing to do. We're about the same age. Buy a new, or newer, truck and you'll be set for the rest of your life. Tis cheaper to pay the bank 2% interest than a mechanic $100/hour. People gripe about the cost of new vehicles but forget that 2019 wages are a lot more than they were 20 years ago. It is all relative. Ignore sticker prices and be aware that you don't have to buy the high end trim packages. If you compare comparable trucks from 20 years ago and factor in the differences in wages you don't have to work any more hours to pay for one today than in 1997.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It is also aggravating to buy a 'new' vehicle with unknown issues. Assess what is ahead with the '97 and what has been repaired.

Brad
Old 07-14-2019, 09:51 AM

Received 130 Likes on 122 Posts

If you want a truck that will last you forever get a 7.3 power stroke
The following users liked this post:
bradtx (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 09:54 AM

Received 130 Likes on 122 Posts

F150 wise, I would go for a '09-'10 with the 5.4. read the reviews, 95% of owners are completely satisfied

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New (er) Truck or Rebuild 1997 F150

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: