General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New build, need imput.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New build, need imput.

Ok, as I'm sure you all know I am new to this site, anyway what this is about is the truck I bought today. It's a 1984 F-150 XLT, standard cab long bed. 302, C-6 (I believe, door jam trans code says "T"), 3.31 8.8 rearend. Body is strait as an arrow except for one shopping cart ding I found, also has stock A/C, and I would like to keep that. Ok so here's the deal, the truck was up to the dash in water, thus why I paid $150 for it.
Anyway what I'm planning on doing is taking it down to the frame painting everything, pretty much replacing everything build it up a little. Not much over stock. This is my first time restoring/building a Ford, so there are a few things I would like to know. This is somewhat of a budget build so please keep that in mind with your responces.
Ok the motor, rebuild on the stock block, I would keep the stock heads unless anyone has good inexpensive solution. Anyway I need a mild cam, mild intake, 4 barrel w/ vacume secodaries. What set ups work for you guys?
Tranny....I have zero knowledge of the C-6, anything I should look for in the Junkyard?
And of course I have to stick a 9in rearend in there, I will give you that, ya'll have the most badass rearend out there. My question what year and model will require the least amount of modification? Also I've heard some models come with a stock posi?? I'm trying to bypass all the custom fab that I alway seem to get into.
Oh and on a passing not is there anything ya'll like to do with the suspention on these things? I want stock ride height, but in order to make it stiffer, better at highway speeds.
Thanks you all for any help you can give me, and I will be documenting the build on one of those internet chat site's so I will post when I have that setup. Thanks a lot everyone, thanks for you imput.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:34 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is a site that translates the axle codes from the door sticker:
http://www.drivetrain.com/Fordtrkratio_posidata.html

And here is a site that tells you what transmissions were in what models and years:

http://www.drivetrain.com/motorcraft...rans.html#F150

Welcome to the site!
Good luck with your rebuild. I am not that experienced with such an endeavor, but there are plenty of members here with a lot of experience. I am sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks man, I can always use more info.

Quick Reply: New build, need imput.