Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP- front end grinding issue- dealerships not helping

Old 11-05-2018, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP- front end grinding issue- dealerships not helping

I would appreciate anyones input or thoughts on what they believe may be the problem I am having with my truck. It is a weird problem and I have not been able to have a dealership help me. Here is a brief rundown of whats going on. The truck is a 2018 Raptor Screw. less than 10k miles. issue started around 6500 miles.

First: the first issue was a grinding noise that would happen at low speeds when stepping on the gas. It would grind then catch and stop the noise until i touched the gas again. took the car to a dealer and they were able to determine that the IWE vacuum had become disconnected. they reconnected it and that problem stopped.

next: two days after that problem i had to travel and in the middle of my trip the car started a constant grinding in the front end. it would mostly go away if you would engage 4x4 but it was a nonstop awful grinding noise if the car was moving. I took the car to a dealership and they told me the IWE vaccum line was leaking. So they replaced the entire system and the problem stopped.

next: on my way back home from that trip the car began to do what it is doing now. if i am traveling on the interstate at a consistent pace between 60-80 miles an hour, my truck begins to make a horrible grinding sound. When the sound starts it will continue without interruption as long as you keep your foot on the accelerator. if you tap the break or just let off the gas then the grinding will stop. the noise stops until it randomly decides to continue again probably within the next 15-40 miles or so.

So that is my issue. The truck has no issue if you are not driving a bit of distance on the interstate. However, if you are on the interstate then it will have the issue every single time as long as you drive far enough.

I have taken the truck to a dealer who told me they thought they check valve was getting caught so they replaced the check valve and this did not help. I returned to that dealer and they took the truck for a week and told me they couldn't duplicate the issue. I returned to them and personally drove the truck with the adviser, on the drive i was able to duplicate the sound and since i was with him i stayed on the gas for probably a solid 5 minutes with no interruption and the truck made the sound the entire time until i let off the gas. the adviser told me that something was not right but I would have to demonstrate this to a tech. I said, just tell me when. He said call me tomorrow. So I did and when we spoke he told me that the truck needed to be more broken in order for them to fix it and he told me not to come back.

So here I am. I would greatly appreciate any advice on what you think my issue could be and how to fix it. Personally, I don't think the issue is unfix-able but i may file a lemon law claim to see if that will get Ford to move their *** because I have been to at least 4 different dealerships and none of them have be the least bit helpful.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Find a different dealership, that should be fixed under warrantee.
Sounds like 1 or both IWE's. you can check it by finding the vacuum check valve and disconnect and plug the line that leads to the IWE's. this will lock your hubs and your front axles will turn when you drive, you won't be in 4x4 so no worries about any damage. if the grinding goes away its the IWE's, you can buy a cheap vacuum gauge online to determine which one is bad (or both). There are you tube videos available on how to check it. replacing an IWE is not that difficult, (you tube vids again) but this should be fixed by Ford for free with your mileage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NEED HELP- front end grinding issue- dealerships not helping