Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help choosing a Platinum version.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help choosing a Platinum version.

I've been a long time f150forum reader but now I need help. I own a few Toyota "trail rigs", but I need to buy a daily driver and I've always loved the look of the 12th Gen. Platinums. The problem I have is there is a 2011 5.0l and a 2010 5.4 with the 5.0 having a couple more miles and the 5.4 being 1 year older but couple less miles, they are the same price and color of ext./int. Now, I know about the problems with the 5.4 engines and that the 5.4 is a low end power engine good for towing and the 5.0 has higher end power with more hp. What I want to know is, are there any differences when it comes to interior/exterior options, safety features, etc. between the two V8 variations, because face it, I'm not only buying a Platinum for the engine?
Old 12-07-2017, 10:08 PM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBestPolak
Now, I know about the problems with the 5.4 engines and that the 5.4 is a low end power engine good for towing and the 5.0 has higher end power with more hp.
Sounds like you answered the question already for yourself. Interiors can be upgraded at an upholstery shop for a couple grand if that's what your concerned about, been there done that. I'd be more concerned about the health/reliability of an engine before how the interior looks cause you won't look cool on the side of the road with a blown engine.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by TOYSTRY
Sounds like you answered the question already for yourself. Interiors can be upgraded at an upholstery shop for a couple grand if that's what your concerned about, been there done that. I'd be more concerned about the health/reliability of an engine before how the interior looks cause you won't look cool on the side of the road with a blown engine.
Forgot to mention, the engines are in really good condition (and my buddy who is a heavy into mustangs confirmed it about both, and he even has a 5.4 swapped mustang), but the engine is getting ripped apart for performance mods almost immediately after purchasing (not talking about a intake and exhaust) so anything that needs fixing will be "caught", I just want to know is there a difference in the audio packages between the two years, difference in the gps/tech package, any exterior (sensors, etc.) electronics that were later added to the '11-'14 F-150s vs the earlier versions, I'm kind of concerned with that stuff just because I've driven in pretty much bucket seat trail rigs and pre-runners with no tech since I can remember. Ps- Seats are in amazing condition.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:33 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBestPolak
I've been a long time f150forum reader but now I need help. I own a few Toyota "trail rigs", but I need to buy a daily driver and I've always loved the look of the 12th Gen. Platinums. The problem I have is there is a 2011 5.0l and a 2010 5.4 with the 5.0 having a couple more miles and the 5.4 being 1 year older but couple less miles, they are the same price and color of ext./int. Now, I know about the problems with the 5.4 engines and that the 5.4 is a low end power engine good for towing and the 5.0 has higher end power with more hp. What I want to know is, are there any differences when it comes to interior/exterior options, safety features, etc. between the two V8 variations, because face it, I'm not only buying a Platinum for the engine?
No comparison stock to stock. About 60 hp difference. That along with a 6 speed transmission. Gas mileage, hp, torque, all goes to the 2011. Just sold my 2011 S/crew about 3 weeks ago. One of the most comfortable f150’s I’ve owned. Just upgraded to 2018 F150 but with the 3.5L this time. More about low end torque for pulling a travel trailer although the truck I sold did an admirable job at that as well. The 5.4 is a good truck but if you have a choice take the 5.0. You won’t regret it.
The following users liked this post:
TheBestPolak (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by tuckr2
No comparison stock to stock. About 60 hp difference. That along with a 6 speed transmission. Gas mileage, hp, torque, all goes to the 2011. Just sold my 2011 S/crew about 3 weeks ago. One of the most comfortable f150’s I’ve owned. Just upgraded to 2018 F150 but with the 3.5L this time. More about low end torque for pulling a travel trailer although the truck I sold did an admirable job at that as well. The 5.4 is a good truck but if you have a choice take the 5.0. You won’t regret it.
I've been talking to a lot of Ford guys and thats an opinion that the all share about the 5.0, not to mention I've been doing a ton of research and theres more you can do to the 5.0 vs the 5.4 and the efficiency/durability is much higher. I did also think about the 3.5 Eco but my trail rigs are turbo and I've always wanted to drop a Whipple S.C. on something.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:24 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Go with the 5.0. The 5.4 is a dog in comparison and overall the 5.0 is a better engine. If you want to Whipple then the 5.0 is the one you want for sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help choosing a Platinum version.