General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on purchasing a truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Need advice on purchasing a truck

Hey guys looking for some feedback here, I am getting ready to trade in my 2010 Acura TL for a truck. I have really considered a used Raptor, Platinum, or a fully loaded FX4. My only issue is I would immediately want to level and upgrade the rims and tires. Questions 1) How bad would the noise, loss of mpg be going to a level and an aggressive tread. 2) What are most people doing with brand new rims and tires if they upgrade immediately, any dealerships giving credits if you opt decline their pirellis? 3) I qualify for an x plan price through work, and would want less than 10k miles on a used truck any advice on used versus new
Old 05-16-2013, 11:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Its a forum, a wealth of knowledge where people have been discussing these very issues for years. Do you mean to tell me you joined in July 2012, this is your first post 10 months later and you didn't try to see if anyone else had the same questions?
Old 05-17-2013, 08:22 AM

YEP, Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 187 Likes on 155 Posts

I went from a E60 BMW to an FX4 earlier this year. I got the 20" wheels, no appearance package, but all other options checked.

Based on this forum, I immediately swapped out the stock Pirellis for Michelin LTX M/S2 tires. I considered going with the AT version of the Michelins, but the price premium and noise (from what I've read about the latter) wasn't worth it. So I decided function is more important than form. Great tires, they're P-rated and have huge tread life. Great in rain and snow, and decent off-road. If your commute or daily use is mostly road, then highly suggest this tire. Otherwise the AT might be better for you.

I called around prior to truck's delivery to find a local tire stores to see who would give me what for a credit. I got $150 per tire, which is a pretty amazing price from what I've gathered. Ford was not interested in doing anything for me at the dealer - even though I ordered the truck.

I'm pretty happy with the stock 20" wheels - I think they look great and are easy to clean.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dalydawg
Hey guys looking for some feedback here, I am getting ready to trade in my 2010 Acura TL for a truck. I have really considered a used Raptor, Platinum, or a fully loaded FX4. My only issue is I would immediately want to level and upgrade the rims and tires. Questions 1) How bad would the noise, loss of mpg be going to a level and an aggressive tread. 2) What are most people doing with brand new rims and tires if they upgrade immediately, any dealerships giving credits if you opt decline their pirellis? 3) I qualify for an x plan price through work, and would want less than 10k miles on a used truck any advice on used versus new
I got my 07 fx4 in December and leveled it with bilstein 5100s which ran about 6-700 installed (all 4) and just went down from the stock 20s to 18"bmf rims with procomp 33 xtreme mts and my mpg went from about 15 to 13 14 so it really wasn't a gas killer
Old 05-17-2013, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously ur getting a newer truck but leveling and tires didn't really change my mpg at all (I had 33s both times just went from all terrain to mts)
Old 05-18-2013, 10:03 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. I will use this info to help me make my choices. Great looking trucks I hope to be posting mine shortly.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:55 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

These beautiful 20" custom wheels look so awesome on the truck but it has been my personal experience you sacrifice a smooth ride for looks. I'm OK with that as long as I don't have to do long haul driving. Smaller rims and more rubber is better and you can get the same look. I'm sure many will disagree with me, but that's OK too. Good luck
Old 05-19-2013, 03:49 AM

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dalydawg
The noise will depend on the tread manufacturer and model. Some will roar other will be quiet. You will loose mpg with the added weight to each wheel and the more energy required to get it moving and keep it there. Raising the nose higher will make you loose highway mpg, that's why f150 have a chin spoiler to try to increase mpg.

As for trading new wheels in to the dealership each one is different, but you will probably be better of selling them online to get more cash.

Buying new you are taking the depreciation hit. With buying use you are risking getting a screwed up vehicle. With either choice I'd get someone who has owned these trucks before to check out everything works and is good to go. Depending on how long your going to kepp the truck maybe get an extended warranty, however it may be voided if you modify the truck.

Last edited by User-One; 05-19-2013 at 03:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Need advice on purchasing a truck