Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Name these sounds? Ticking, belts, motor, pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Name these sounds? Ticking, belts, motor, pump?

Could use some advice on this one. Any help would definitely be appreciated! I thought I fixed the vacuum leak but now the engine sounds worse than ever.
There is a loud gasping sound when the truck starts and again after :15 when I turn the AC on and off. It sounds like the pump is pulling hard and even makes a belt or something squeak loud. The system pulls so hard that it makes the engine chug and die if it is in park. When driving in idle, the RPMs rev and fall and the truck chugs.

There has always been a ticking sound, heard well at :30, and especially when the engine is cold and first starts. It is most pronounced when the truck is in gear and given a little gas. Not when revved in park or when accelerated hard, though it may just be harder to hear then. The sound is light weight, not a deep knocking, maybe the lifters?

Other than those the truck runs pretty well. It needs extra oil every couple weeks and makes more white smoke than it probably should, and the engine codes say that both banks are running too lean. Any ideas?

Last edited by JasonErnest; 02-24-2011 at 07:25 PM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply: Name these sounds? Ticking, belts, motor, pump?