Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery Sound 4 Months Later

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 12:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mystery Sound 4 Months Later

Sound the truck is making is attached.

I have a 2010 Ford F150 5.4 that I bought used with 300,000 KM on it and it was working fine for a couple of months but this grinding noise started about 4 months ago and after visiting several garages including a Ford dealership and about $1,500 in repairs still, have not rectified the problem. Doing most of the work myself.

First I thought it was the rear end of the truck so I drained the gear oil and checked for any visible issues in the rear diff and couldn't find any issues. No metal shavings either. I refilled it with new gear oil and additive and the noise was still there. This made me think that maybe it was actually coming from the front end.

What I've done so far when we thought it might be coming from the front end. It felt and sounded like it was coming from the front end as you could feel it on the floor under the gab. You can't feel it in the gear shift. But the sound often times sounds like it's coming from all different areas.

* Changed the transfer case
* Changed 4x4 actuators
* Changed all the front 4x4 vacuum hoses
* Changed the solenoid
* Front bearings have been changed and all ball joints and trods all changed

I went for a ride with a buddy and I lay in the back of the truck on top of the rear diff and it was clear as far as I can tell the sound was coming from the rear end and I could feel it as well. So I open up the rear diff again but still no visible signs. I've checked the yolk bearing no movement. I've checked the axels to rule out bearings and there is just to say maybe an 1/8 movement which is allowable. I even tried driving the truck in 4x4 without the drive shaft just to see if it would still make the noise and sure enough, it did still make the noise. I could not duplicate the noise when the truck was jacked off the ground. It only happens on a load. I can duplicate the noise anytime I want by simply trying to keep between acceleration and not accelerating. It's that in between that makes it do this noise. I can cruise at one speed on or off cruise control for a while but soon as the truck needs to kick back into speed to climb a hill it will make this noise. When the noise is happening the moment I take my foot off the gas the noise would stop.

It's getting frustrating.

Last edited by Libertynow7; 03-16-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My God, that sounds bad man. Any chance that truck has a carrier bearing for the drive shaft? Sorry, new to F150s. Just the first thought that came to me. Hope you figure it out quick.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:37 PM

Yes, it does sound really bad. Sounds loud enough that I assume people hear it outside the truck. Inside the cab, it sounds really loud. I only have one long drive shaft not the one with hanger bearing.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard of a few instances of heat shielding coming loose and hanging down from under the bed. But I would think that would sound more "tinging" and pretty obvious. Surely someone here will have run into it. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by gpulis
I have heard of a few instances of heat shielding coming loose and hanging down from under the bed. But I would think that would sound more "tinging" and pretty obvious. Surely someone here will have run into it. Good luck.
I hope so. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:39 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,052 Likes on 6,499 Posts

Does the grinding go away in 4H/4A
Old 03-16-2019, 07:20 PM

The grinding noise happens in 4H/4L and 2/H. If I try switching between them when it happens it makes no difference. But when the grinding noise is happening I can get it to stop the instant I take my foot off the gas.

Kevin
Old 03-17-2019, 06:54 PM

I think I figured it out.I found metal shavings on the magnet I didn't notice before.

Kevin
Old 03-17-2019, 07:56 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,052 Likes on 6,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Libertynow7
I think I figured it out.I found metal shavings on the magnet I didn't notice before.

Kevin
Front diff?
Old 03-17-2019, 08:45 PM

Rear diff.

Quick Reply: Mystery Sound 4 Months Later