Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my transmission about to die?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Is my transmission about to die?

I have a 2012 FX4 Supercrew with the 5.0 V8. The truck has about 105,000 miles on it. In the last week, it has given me the following problem twice:
When starting up from a stop it winds a little bit longer and higher in first gear. Then when it shifts to second, the whole dash board lights up as a giant wrench. After that, the truck will only use gears 3-5. It won't go into 1, 2, or 6. Also, the speedometer, fuel economy, and odometer all stop working. Last, the airbag light turns on. If I stop the truck and turn it off, then on again, the problem seems to clear up. Tonight it did this and I restarted it so it would shift properly. I then drove straight to auto zone to have them scan it, but it was not throwing any codes. Is this thing on its way out? Or is it something more simple? The only good news is that when The Wife heard about this, she told me to take it direct to the dealership tomorrow to try to trade it in! ;-)
Old 03-20-2019, 10:11 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

Just a SWAG. But it sounds like it could be a simple electrical problem. A few years ago our Honda started shifting weird. We had been out of town for about a week and it had not been driven. Took it to a transmission shop and they found where mice had built a nest under the hood while we were out of town and they had chewed the insulation off a couple of wires which were shorting out. It just needed a wiring harness replaced. Took 5 minutes of labor to plug in a set of wires. Of course 3-4 days for them to come in and the wiring harness cost a lot more than I thought it should..
Old 03-22-2019, 11:44 PM

So it is happening quite frequently now. I took it to Auto Zone during a failure and they checked the code. It's showing an output speed sensor error. Looks like this is part of the molded lead frame issue that is covered under the extended warranty for known issues. I called my local dealer and they are going to get me in to check it out. In two weeks.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:15 PM

Turns out they did the molded lead frame replacement from the recall/TSB and changed some gaskets. Thankfully they extended the warranty on this because I don't want to know what it would cost. I love this truck but I'm trading it in tomorrow for a new one. Even after this fix, it still shifts hard out of first. I feel like this trans is not the one I want to use to drag the camper from Michigan to the Grand Canyon and back this June...
Old 04-12-2019, 12:03 PM

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by a2pfunk
Turns out they did the molded lead frame replacement from the recall/TSB and changed some gaskets. Thankfully they extended the warranty on this because I don't want to know what it would cost. I love this truck but I'm trading it in tomorrow for a new one. Even after this fix, it still shifts hard out of first. I feel like this trans is not the one I want to use to drag the camper from Michigan to the Grand Canyon and back this June...
The hard shifting is because it has to relearn your driving type and then it will smooth out. Common when you have to unhook the battery and everything gets reset.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by 06screwlariat
The hard shifting is because it has to relearn your driving type and then it will smooth out. Common when you have to unhook the battery and everything gets reset.
But only out of first gear?
Old 04-12-2019, 02:55 PM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Sure, why not. Reset it again if you like, maybe it will change a bit.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:56 PM

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by a2pfunk
But only out of first gear?
Yeah - that was the case for me after the leadframe replacement. After a week or so it smoothed out to normal.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:01 PM
How's she goin' eh?

Received 588 Likes on 488 Posts

After my software upgrade mine also shifted hard from first to second

Quick Reply: Is my transmission about to die?