General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My “Top Tier” gas recipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default My “Top Tier” gas recipe

Yes, I know this has been discussed before, but I had a different angle on it.

The owner’s manual for my F150 Ecoboost recommends “Top Tier” gas. So, after researching the difference between “unbranded” and Top Tier (tm) gas, it basically comes down to this; gasoline is a standardized commodity. It can come from any refinery and the only difference between “branded” and “unbranded” is the detergent package added after the retailer takes delivery. And, Top Tier gas includes more detergents than the EPA minimum requirement.

While AAA and Consumer Reports suggest not buying premium gas unless it’s absolutely required (or towing in hot weather with an F150 Ecoboost), they do recommend Top Tier gas for keeping your engine clean.

Driving to work today I took note of the prices (I’m in NJ). Best price “unbranded” regular $2.69 best price “Top Tier” $2.89 (Exxon/Shell/ Valero same price).

So, can I add “detergents” to the $2.69 gas for less than $0.20 per gallon and make it “Top Tier”?

I go to the Chevron Techron website and it says the 1 ounce per gallon recommendation is for a “clearing treatment” (not every day) and is 10 times the concentration of Techron at the pump. So, to cook my own Top Tier gas, I would use 1 ounce per 10 gallons. Amazon’s best price for Techron is $6.99 for 20oz, which is $0.35 per ounce or $0.035 per gallon (far cheaper than $0.20).

So, can you really make your unbranded gas “Top Tier” for $0.035 per gallon?
Old 06-18-2018, 06:23 PM

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I think the benefits of "top tier" gas have been tremendously exaggerated. I've always just gotten the least expensive gas in town and never had any problems at all. Doesn't mean I won't, but based on some of my own research, the EPA is so concerned with being "green," that all gasoline ends up having plenty of detergents to keep our engines running clean. There are still cases of getting "bad gas" at any pump, but I don't think that's really any less likely to happen at a Shell station than at the local Murphy's. Just my 2 cents.

I've also wondered something similar to what you're saying, but regarding octane. 93 octane is nowhere to be found in my area, so I can't really experience a 93 octane tune without using some kind of octane booster, but I don't know the formula, or if they're even legit? Haven't done a ton of research on that though - the "wonder" just came back to my mind after reading your post lol.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:59 AM
Papermaker24

Received 347 Likes on 272 Posts

We have 92 octane here but it doesnt get purchased as much as regular. Had a Black Bear custom tune done a while back and he said looking at the data that the gas was pretty crappy, probably sitting a long time.....so I usually buy regular from a busy station to have "freah" gas.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:50 AM

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,699 Posts

I would like to see a throttle body run for 6 months on each and see if there is any difference there.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:54 AM

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

The owner's manual of my truck mentions nothing about using "top tier" fuel. It only mentions the recommendation of using higher octane fuel when using the truck under load.

I don't really know what "bad gas" is (unless my sister-in-law is nearby). The hydrocarbon molecules in the fuel dispensed at the local Murphy's are identical to that of those at a Shell station. The fuel is all distilled at the same refineries.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

Just my 2 cents... I previously owned a 2005 Lexus LS430 which recommended premium fuel. I always put the cheapest 87 RON gas I could find in it. Sold it after 10 years with 180,000 miles and no problems. In my small part of the Florida panhandle all gas comes via barge from Mobile AL. All stored in the same large tanks once the barge is offloaded. It is all distributed in the same tanker trucks to the various retail outlets. If any of them are actually putting secret sauce in their underground storage tanks after delivery that's good for them but in my experience the standard gas as delivered on the barge is just fine. Have you ever seen a store employee dump anything into the underground tank before or after the tanker truck is offloaded? Does the truck driver carry the secret sauce around in the passenger seat?
BTW, I was a marketing major in college...
Old 06-19-2018, 12:07 PM

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Davesp
.. Have you ever seen a store employee dump anything into the underground tank before or after the tanker truck is offloaded? Does the truck driver carry the secret sauce around in the passenger seat? ...
Costco says they do: "... Costco decided the best system would be to blend the additives at Costco gas stations during the fuel delivery. This way, he explains, Costco could have complete control over both the process and the quality aspects of the fuel. To accomplish this, Costco worked with industry experts to design and implement a unique on-site additive system. ..."

https://www.costcoauto.com/automotiv...gas_nozip.aspx

Maybe it works good and maybe it doesn't. Lot of room for error/inconsistency the way I see it, especially if you are at the pump when tanker is delivering. Independently owned place certainly could not afford such a luxury.

(FWIW, the only suspected "bad" gas I have ever got came from Costco. Truck started running erratically one mile from station. Continued to do so until next fill-up. Of course Costco denied culpability without independent testing, etc.)
Old 06-19-2018, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Davesp
Just my 2 cents... I previously owned a 2005 Lexus LS430 which recommended premium fuel. I always put the cheapest 87 RON gas I could find in it. Sold it after 10 years with 180,000 miles and no problems. In my small part of the Florida panhandle all gas comes via barge from Mobile AL. All stored in the same large tanks once the barge is offloaded. It is all distributed in the same tanker trucks to the various retail outlets. If any of them are actually putting secret sauce in their underground storage tanks after delivery that's good for them but in my experience the standard gas as delivered on the barge is just fine. Have you ever seen a store employee dump anything into the underground tank before or after the tanker truck is offloaded? Does the truck driver carry the secret sauce around in the passenger seat?
BTW, I was a marketing major in college...
Yep. If you've ever seen the local Murphy or Costco service station underground tanks being filled, it's often from a tanker from one of the "brand" gasoline companies, e.g. Shell, Exon, etc. Costco (and other non-brand companies) receive their fuel from the same bulk depots as everyone else.

As doyall mentions, yes, fuel additives may be added at the service station, but I'm not convinced that these are properly blended into the underground reservoirs and routinely checked thoroughly.

Btw, I work in the petroleum industry.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:33 PM

Received 612 Likes on 439 Posts

Additive packages are dispensed theough the pumps fellas. They don't mix it into the underground tank. Just like e85 concentrations are mixed from an underground tank of e98 and from the 87 tank. 89 is 87 and 93 mixed and 93 is another separate tank.

Fwiw to counter the dude up there saying he got bad gas from Costco, the gas I got from there ran more timing than other stations.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by w00t692
Additive packages are dispensed theough the pumps fellas. They don't mix it into the underground tank. Just like e85 concentrations are mixed from an underground tank of e98 and from the 87 tank. 89 is 87 and 93 mixed and 93 is another separate tank.
Ah, interesting. Thanks for the clarification.

Quick Reply: My “Top Tier” gas recipe