General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My thoughts on mpg............

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 03:22 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default My thoughts on mpg............

Upon the purchase of my present truck (2012 XLT 4x4 SCrew). I read the estimated mpg on the sticker. I took the following in consideration:

1. I can pull a travel trailer or boat....
2. I can haul wood, garbage, etc in the bed.
3. I can bring home the large item I purchased the same day without a delivery charge.
4. I can let my dogs ride in the bed of the truck or ride in the back seat.
5. I feel a little safer driving my truck with family members (grand-kids)
6. Hunt & Fish....

Could probably list more.....but it is a "Truck" and a good one. Bottom line the trade off for what I want and the mph does not really come into play anymore.............I will just continue to drive on down the road with a smile on my face and wishing I had a F250...........

Enuff said on my part.................
The following 2 users liked this post by CharlieOneHorse:
abouzahrr (07-05-2013), Coho (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 10:33 AM

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieOneHorse
Upon the purchase of my present truck (2012 XLT 4x4 SCrew). I read the estimated mpg on the sticker. I took the following in consideration:

3. I can bring home the large item I purchased the same day without a delivery charge.
6. Hunt & Fish....

Could probably list more.....but it is a "Truck" and a good one. Bottom line the trade off for what I want and the mph does not really come into play anymore.............I will just continue to drive on down the road with a smile on my face and wishing I had a F250...........

My thoughts are my truck guzzles gas like pig dog compared to the car it replaced. I don't give a damm since I didn't look at the MPG sticker portion of the truck when I bought it. Sure it be nice if it was better on gas but it's a truck.

Enuff said on my random MPG truck rant.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm getting to the point where I don't really need a truck any more. Next vehicle will probably be a nice car (Mustang?).
Old 07-02-2013, 12:45 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by hm12460
I'm getting to the point where I don't really need a truck any more. Next vehicle will probably be a nice car (Mustang?).

I will always have a truck (unless the gov't decides that I am not allowed to have one). I may also have a car some day...
Old 07-02-2013, 03:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my truck and can't imagine being without it. It's come in handy so many times and it's a lot of fun to drive, especially offroad. I have motorcycles to so if I feel like spending less on gas I just ride the bikes (when it's not raining of course). I do feel a lot safer as well.

I did a couple mods to help me with mpg on my Ecoboost, take it for what it's worth but it really helped me add about 1.5mpg to city driving and about 3mpg on the interstate.

1. K&N Filter - small change but on the EB it did help a tiny bit
2. Free flowing exhaust - this was a big help noticed it right away
3. Bed cover - this surprised me more than anything on the interstate on the way home at 65mph I noticed mpg up near 20! I had never seen this in my truck since I bought it (I do have 33" bfg's too)
4. A good tune helps if you can keep your foot out of it
5. Full skid plates underneath (smooths the air flow out under the truck) which also saves my bacon off roading but had a tiny impact on fuel econonmy.

I watch the averages closely on the display and the green meter in the truck as well. It may not be dead on but it's always "wrong" by a consistent amount. So when mpg is better it shows in the averages. I also set my display to show me the average over the last 5 resets which is actually quite a handy little feature.

Overall I still love it and while I can I pay what it takes to be able to drive it.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Personal Trainer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from a 350z to my F150. Sent me for a loop for the first month or two. I have it tuned for premium too. gas went from $120 a month to 400$. But damn if I could care less. I love driving my truck.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Ford first timer.

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Well said

Originally Posted by CharlieOneHorse

6. Hunt & Fish....

Old 07-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

I'm not concerned about gas mileage. I do the tree-killing mods that I want, and drive how I want to drive. Until I lose my job, gas is just an expense built into my budget that I can afford. Trying to save gas is killing the cars built for enthusiasts and the spirit of the enthusiasts themselves. It seems like a truck is the only vehicle left that doesn't compromise anything in the name of fuel mileage..

My .02.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 PM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

I guess my deal is that if I can haul 6 people safely, tow my 23' boat, store a bed full of stuff, run a 13 second quarter mile, then why not get 22 mpg rather than the 12 that these trucks got 15 years ago while making less power doing it? Seems like win/win to me.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

2012 F150 with 5 liter, replaced a Subaru Outback, and in similar driving uses about 50% more fuel than than Subaru. I have towed a 5000 lb trailer against a strong wind, and doubled the normal fuel consumption, but the Subaru could not pull much of anything.........

What is to compare?

I'd prefer a diesel but the diesel prices are too high for the distance I expect to travel.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on mpg............