General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Nightmare of a 2015 Ford F-150 XLT/XRT

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My Nightmare of a 2015 Ford F-150 XLT/XRT

I'm going to use this thread to share the story of my most regrettable purchase - a 2015 Ford F-150 XLT/XTR. I will also be using this tread to post any updates. There most certainly will be some. To say I'm disappointed in Ford would be a gross understatement. I've already experienced numerous issues, and dealing with Ford's customer service and local service departments have been a disaster. As a loyal, lifelong owner of Ford trucks, this whole ordeal truly saddens me.

On Friday, November 11, 2016 I made the roughly 800 mile round-trip trek from Nashville, Tennessee to Marysville, Ohio to purchase a 2015 Ford F-150 XLT/XTR from Honda Marysville. At the time-of-purchase, the truck had only 5,900 miles. Being that I suffer from slight OCD (totally self-diagnosed), I spent a significant amount of time test driving and going over every inch of this truck. Other than a small chip in the windshield that the dealer took care of, the truck drove and appeared to be as close to brand new as a truck with 5,900 miles could be. I purchased the truck and began the roughly 400 mile drive back to Nashville. In less than 2 hours, I was pulled over for speeding two times, and so began the nightmare.

Visits to Ford service department so far:

- Speedometer reading faster than actual speed (pulled over twice)
- Tailgate step sitting higher on one side
- Transmission kicking out of and slamming back into gear
- Radio not working properly
- Rear cup holder broke while opening
- Windshield washer sprayer has very low pressure most of the time
- Alarm system not working
- Sporadic transmission(?) squeal/grinding noise - mainly while going pressing the gas pedal while going up hill
- Power lock (read drivers door) stopped working
- To be continued...

Remember, most of these issues were experienced while the vehicle had 6000-8000 miles. Everything has been covered under warranty, but the hassle and time without transportation while dealer has the truck continues to add up.

Speedometer: Pulled over twice for going roughly 3 MPH (at 75 MPH) faster than speedometer. When digital cruise is set to 75, speedometer reads roughly 78. Similar results when using GPS unit and multiple GPS apps. Seems like the variance becomes greater as speed increases. Dealer had truck for 2-3 days, claimed they could not duplicate the problem, even though this still happens every time truck is being driven. Dealer claimed to recalibrated/reprogrammed/whatever the computer. Nothing changed. Still happens every time truck is driven. Will take it back to dealer again.

Tailgate step: Tail gate step cover was sticking up higher on one side. Looks like dealer simply bent high side to match. I'll call it fixed.

Transmission: This has been, by far, the most severe issue. I'm still not convinced this issue is resolved. Transmission would kick out of gear, then violently slam back into gear while RPM's were still elevated. Happened several times. Check engine and orange wrench lights flashed. Dealer had truck for 3 days. Dealer claimed issue was related to a Technical Service Bulletins issued by Ford. Claimed to be fixed. Issue happened again a few days later. Had truck towed to dealer. Dealer had truck 2-3 days. Dealer could not replicate the issue. No check engine light or codes, so nothing they could do. Issue has not happened in weeks since, but another possible transmission issue has occurred. What about any potential damaged caused by the transmission kicking out of gear, then violently back into gear while the RPM's were still elevated? I'm telling you, it was brutal.

Radio: Static while using 12V charger outlet. Would not stop on channel while using scan/seek. Dealer said to have ordered new radio, would install in couple days. Week went by with no word from dealer. Called dealer, was told they forgot to complete the order for new radio. Finished ordering process and had radio within few days. Dealer replaced radio. Everything seems to be fine.

Rear cup holder: Spring mechanism broke while opening. Dealer replaced. Seems to be working properly.

Windshield fluid sprayer: Sprayer very weak 99% of time. Only sprays 3"-6" from bottom of windshield. Dealer function tested, claimed to function properly. As soon as I got in truck, same issue. I have video of sprayer working properly. Issue not resolved. Will take back to dealer.

Alarm system: Had dealer install OEM alarm and cellular remote start. Asked to have sensitivity dialed back enough so it's not set off by thunder or loud exhaust. Alarm does not go off when bounce on running boards and bumper. Recently had same dealer install same system on our 2016 Fusion, same issue. Issue not resolved. Will take back to dealer.

Possible second transmission issue: New issue. Possibly related to first While going up hill, very short squeal/grinding noise appears. Seems to happen when I have to get back into the throttle after slowing down slightly. Was able to record sound with phone. Transmission tech at Town & Country Ford is on vacation for week. Transmission tech at Tracy Langston Ford has flu for week. Issue not resolved. Will take back to dealer.

Power lock: The power lock on the rear driver side door stopped working.

None of this is taking into account the countless phone calls to Ford customer service and the local dealer. I can't tell you how many times multiple Ford employees have given me different answers to the very same question. I'm not sure if they're lying or just poorly trained. I asked 4 Ford employees (2 customer service and 2 service department) what the flashing orange wrench light means. Every single one of them gave me completely different answers. I'm still unsure what it means. This also doesn't take into account the major inconvenience of trying to find a 80 mile round-trip ride back and forth to work while the dealer seems to have my truck more often than I do.

Check back for updates....

Update 1 - Was contacted by whoever runs Ford's Facebook page on Wednesday. They escalated my case to the regional customer service manager. Today is Friday. Haven't heard from him/her.

Update 2 - Now the lock power lock on the rear driver side door does not work.

Last edited by TripleDigitRide; 01-06-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Pains me to say this, sounds like you got the last guys lemon! Has you asked corporate Ford for any previous warranty repair records?
The following users liked this post:
61927 (02-21-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 03:05 PM
Tommy

Received 4,264 Likes on 2,183 Posts

What is an XRT?
Old 01-01-2017, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by digitaltrucker
Pains me to say this, sounds like you got the last guys lemon! Has you asked corporate Ford for any previous warranty repair records?
During one of the many conversations I've had with customer service representatives at Ford's corporate office, I did in fact ask about any previous records. She claimed that there were no service records prior to me taking it to my local dealer. I'm wondering if there's a way to locate the original owner. I know this was originally a Canadian truck, but that's about it.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:11 PM

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Firerunner
What is an XRT?

If it's from Canada..OP probably meant XTR . That's common here .

https://www.google.ca/#q=f150+xtr+2016
The following 2 users liked this post by Jack-Daniel:
Firerunner (01-01-2017), Wannafbody (01-02-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Firerunner
What is an XRT?
Basically an Canadian XLT with chrome package, engine block heater.

Last edited by TripleDigitRide; 01-01-2017 at 03:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Firerunner (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jack-Daniel
If it's from Canada..OP probably meant XTR . That's common here .

https://www.google.ca/#q=f150+xtr+2016
Yes, I meant XTR. Maybe an Admin would be kind enough to fix that for me.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I feel for you, thankfully have not had to deal with the horribly rotten ford customer service. I had a 2013 Fusion Hybrid that had an issue, I knew it, the dealer knew it, but Ford CSR washed their hands of it. They are the WORST to deal with.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:05 AM
Save the Manuals!

Received 1,058 Likes on 492 Posts

It sure sounds like you did buy a lemon that some guy traded for a Honda. Another possibility is the car could have been a buyback from Ford Canada and they shipped it south of the border and the Honda Dealer got it from auction. Stinks either way.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by gatorblue92
It sure sounds like you did buy a lemon that some guy traded for a Honda. Another possibility is the car could have been a buyback from Ford Canada and they shipped it south of the border and the Honda Dealer got it from auction. Stinks either way.
Based on the Carfax report, the Honda dealership purchased the truck from an auction. I'd have to double check, but I believe the auction was in Ohio or Michigan.