General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new to me F-150 experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new to me F-150 experience

Not the best for a first post here, but looking for a bit of clarity before losing my mind. This is my first newer Ford truck not brand new but new enough. Recently bought a 2012 ecoboost supercrew with 52,000 on the clock. Only had her about a month and a half now but boy has she been a temperamental little turd. Had a few issues so far some my fault some not. 1st one, I didn't take a close look at the tires before leaving the dealership and after the sun came up on day two I was off to discount tire to get new tires due to the pretty new michelins being dry rotted(my fault not necessarily the trucks fault). 2nd truck has a rough idle dealership wants $700 to replace spark plugs, bought new plugs gapped them correctly and idle issue solved(easy fix but probably should've been addressed before it was sold. Again on me for not checking). Now on to the fun stuff. 3rd long drive truck goes all schizophrenic and loses power when trying to pass another car(known issue another easy fix at $163 from ford). Skip foward to last night and my wife and I hop in the truck to run to the store and backing down the driveway a neighbors kid runs out behind me so press the brake pedal, but oh what's this I have no freaking brakes!!!! Cut the wheel down the hill I go front air dam impacts ground and tears off and then the brakes start working magically. Park the truck and take her car to get the stuff from the store. Come home look everything over and don't see anything so try number 2 is in order same damn thing only this time I hear a little grinding noise as the brakes engage. Come on here and wouldn't you know another know issue with the vacuum booster. So far not a good impression has been made with this truck. At this point I'm starting to think that I should've kept my old trusty Tacoma with 170,000. So she's back at the dealership again for the third time in less than 2 months. Only positive thing so far is that on a 700 mile trip I averaged 20.9 MPG. Sorry for the rant needed to get it out there.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:32 PM

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Most everything you have described is a result of poor maintenance, and/or lack of taking care of known problems. Anytime you are looking at buying a used vehicle, go to an independent shop and get a pre-purchase inspection. I'm in the business, and we do these all the time for customers. Usually cost about a $100. You will get a full written report of any needs or deficiencies that you can use to either negotiate the price of the vehicle, or get the needed items addressed. At worst, you spent a $100 to prevent buying a money pit or headache.

If they are not willing to let you do this, then go elsewhere.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:34 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

But on the bright side, you've worked THROUGH most of the known problems!
Old 04-05-2016, 02:28 PM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by sfdude
Most everything you have described is a result of poor maintenance, and/or lack of taking care of known problems. Anytime you are looking at buying a used vehicle, go to an independent shop and get a pre-purchase inspection. I'm in the business, and we do these all the time for customers. Usually cost about a $100. You will get a full written report of any needs or deficiencies that you can use to either negotiate the price of the vehicle, or get the needed items addressed. At worst, you spent a $100 to prevent buying a money pit or headache.

If they are not willing to let you do this, then go elsewhere.
Not to start a flame war, but I disagree. These issues sound like moisture in the intercooler (design flaw) and water in the vacuum pump causing the brakes to be ineffective (another design flaw). Ford moved the vacuum pump in 2013 and made it mechanical, right? But the intercooler issue is usually addressed by drilling a small hole in the bottom so that the water can evacuate the cooler, per threads on this forum. No amount of maintenance is going to correct faulty engineering designs.

The EcoBoost engines had many issues in the first couple of model years. That's why the old saying goes like this: don't ever buy an all new vehicle. Let them have time to "work the bugs out" first.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you get an extended warranty? If no - I would trying to get one. Carfax history or oasis run for service might help. I just purchased a 2013 FX4 but it was CPO which resulted in new tires/brakes/alignment, along with Carfax and maintenance report. Wish you luck make sure you carefully pressure the dealership to stand behind their vehicle!
Old 04-05-2016, 09:46 PM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by WXman
Not to start a flame war, but I disagree. These issues sound like moisture in the intercooler (design flaw) and water in the vacuum pump causing the brakes to be ineffective (another design flaw). Ford moved the vacuum pump in 2013 and made it mechanical, right? But the intercooler issue is usually addressed by drilling a small hole in the bottom so that the water can evacuate the cooler, per threads on this forum. No amount of maintenance is going to correct faulty engineering designs.

The EcoBoost engines had many issues in the first couple of model years. That's why the old saying goes like this: don't ever buy an all new vehicle. Let them have time to "work the bugs out" first.
Attachment 569099

I've owned an early build 2011 Ecoboost and a 2014 and never had any of these issues.. with this design flaw.

Ever heard of the 5.0 oblonged cylinder design flaw? I didn't think so. A lot of 5.0 owners ignore those threads and focus on ecoboost issue threads.
The following users liked this post:
joe mcmillan (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 07:22 AM

Received 211 Likes on 167 Posts

Don't think it was meant to be an eco bash. One poster points out a couple known issues with the engine the OP has, and problems he has experienced, never did he say 5.0 has no problems. They were all new engines for 11 and had/have some bugs.

My Eco 3.5 in my Lincoln has been pretty good, few minor issues drivetrain wise, electronic components for most part. Lots of accessory issues, but way too many gadgets on a Lincoln, so more to break. The engine and turbos have been solid, so has my 2013 5.0 in my truck. My Lincoln was CPO and without the warranty would be a money pit for all the electronic stuff.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By no means am I bashing the ecoboost here. Over all it's a good truck just infuriating that they sold a truck under promise that all issues were taken care of and they're not. Went by there yesterday to see what they would do and they were trying to put me in a 16 XLT BUT they're essentially wanting me to take a huge hit to the tune of about $7000. Not really going to work for me. Waiting for a call from the ford regional manager to see what can be done. I'd honestly be happy with them fixing the issues and providing an extended warranty. Truck was still under the factory warranty at the time of purchase however it's gonna run out sooner than later. I don't want to be stuck with a very expensive lawn ornament.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:05 AM

Received 291 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by NASSTY
I've owned an early build 2011 Ecoboost and a 2014 and never had any of these issues.. with this design flaw. Ever heard of the 5.0 oblonged cylinder design flaw? I didn't think so. A lot of 5.0 owners ignore those threads and focus on ecoboost issue threads.
please don't turn this into 5.0/Eco thread. Anyone who overlooks ones flaws to bash another one is ignorant. Sucks that EVERY known problem on f150s happened to apply to the ops truck. Next his back window is going to explode, truck is going to start vibrating, brake light start leaking, and blend door actuator is going to get stuck. On a side note, the ditch really did you a favor ripping off that airdam for you. And, had you gotten a 5.0 or 6.2 that snotty nosed neighbors kid would have heard you backing up.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:05 AM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by NASSTY

I've owned an early build 2011 Ecoboost and a 2014 and never had any of these issues.. with this design flaw.

Ever heard of the 5.0 oblonged cylinder design flaw? I didn't think so. A lot of 5.0 owners ignore those threads and focus on ecoboost issue threads.
Yeah I've heard of it. Heard of it on the Mustang before I did with the F-150. But that was a new engine at the time too. And now it's over, and guess what? The EcoBoost is still a sophisticated, over complicated engine that costs more despite getting less fuel economy and has more parts to fail over time. And there continue to be TSBs coming out on the 3.5TT annually.

And why is it that every time somebody points this out, they're a "hater"? If I said the sky is blue, and I like it better when it's cloudy, is that hating also? See, I thought it was just stating it like it is. Guess that's not allowed.

Anyway, if loss of power and loss of brakes is not a big deal to you guys, more power to ya'. Hopefully the OP gets through all these issues. Many times, guys go into these trucks not having any idea what they're getting into and that really sucks.

Quick Reply: My new to me F-150 experience