General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Gas Mileage Jumped up!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default My Gas Mileage Jumped up!

I recently had a failure on my '02 F150 4x4 while on a trip...check engine light came on which turned out to be " Both Banks Lean" condition...dang I hate this so far away from home!

I had Future Ford fix it, turned out to be a bad air leak on the intake. So after replacing all the gaskets & cleaning the throttle body sticking, plus some EGR regulator, new antifreeze and spark plugs it runs great! No more surging at idle, smooth tip in on the throttle....and the mileage went from 13's & 14's to mid 15's. I love it!

Ok not earth shaking I know...lol...but then I added a new set of Michelin LTX M/S-2's and it went to mid 16's & so far two tanks at 17.5 or better! Of course this is all freeway driving. I have never hit 17 mpg before ever!

I never expected just tires to make that much difference!!! Guess my cheap Kelly tires were not so good after all...

No tire road noise now either... that annoying thrumming and 40mph vibration disappeared. I am very happy again for sure wish I had tried these tires a lot sooner!
Old 06-23-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mustanger
I recently had a failure on my '02 F150 4x4 while on a trip...check engine light came on which turned out to be " Both Banks Lean" condition...dang I hate this so far away from home!

I had Future Ford fix it, turned out to be a bad air leak on the intake. So after replacing all the gaskets & cleaning the throttle body sticking, plus some EGR regulator, new antifreeze and spark plugs it runs great! No more surging at idle, smooth tip in on the throttle....and the mileage went from 13's & 14's to mid 15's. I love it!

Ok not earth shaking I know...lol...but then I added a new set of Michelin LTX M/S-2's and it went to mid 16's & so far two tanks at 17.5 or better! Of course this is all freeway driving. I have never hit 17 mpg before ever!

I never expected just tires to make that much difference!!! Guess my cheap Kelly tires were not so good after all...

No tire road noise now either... that annoying thrumming and 40mph vibration disappeared. I am very happy again for sure wish I had tried these tires a lot sooner!
Yeah it's amazing how many of these "stories" are out there! I just recently had the surging and loss of power problem with my 07 XLT 4x4 5.4 and coil packs went bad causing a burning rubber smell. Gas mileage was definitely down as an effect, plugs were changed and fuel injection system was flushed to fix problem. My truck has NEVER run this well and I'm getting around 18 mpg highway, I'll take that any day!

Quick Reply: My Gas Mileage Jumped up!