Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPG advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 02:30 PM
2018 FX4 2.7L Super Crew

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Default MPG advice.

So after the break in period (2500 miles) I reset my average MPG. A couple months go by and I am averaging 20.3 mpg doing city and highway. I tow my camper for the weekend, come home and reset the MPG again because I know it was affected by towing a 4000lb camper. Now my average MPG is as high as 26.3 driving my normal city and highway driving. What gives? Is the MPG really that good or does it take several days or weeks to truly average out after you reset it. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2018, 02:53 PM

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by marrs1721
So after the break in period (2500 miles) I reset my average MPG. A couple months go by and I am averaging 20.3 mpg doing city and highway. I tow my camper for the weekend, come home and reset the MPG again because I know it was affected by towing a 4000lb camper. Now my average MPG is as high as 26.3 driving my normal city and highway driving. What gives? Is the MPG really that good or does it take several days or weeks to truly average out after you reset it. Thanks!
I noticed a small bump on my F150 and my Ford Edge after towing. No where near that amount. Maybe you have just had a good couple of days.

2.7 EB?

My 3.5EB can get 23-24 by the Lie-O-Meter just by driving my drive from work to Home but it drops to about 19 per the dash after a couple of weeks. All depends on the drive. My 2007 4x4 Lariat with the 5.4 could get 22 mpg on the highway driving 55 mph. This one would beat that. But average over a tank never gets over 18 mpg when hand calculated.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 for true MPG calculate it yourself. miles driven/gallons used (keep in mind it may still be inaccurate if tires are not stock)
Old 08-15-2018, 09:26 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Your "average" will be immediate and greatly depend on your driving conditions. I'll have days were I'll reset and there will be no traffic on my commute and my average for that day will show 20-21 mpg, but by the end of the week and I get into the normal stop and go it'll drop into the 18's, which is what my true average is.

Also, do a hand calculation. It seems most of the computer averages are 2 or more mpg optimistic. I'm one of the lucky one's, mine is only 0.5mpg high.

I feel like in the dash settings you can also make sure that towing doesn't affect your average mpg calculation.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by marrs1721

How did you get those numbers? If you did not hand calculate them (or use a phone app.), it's not even worth debating! I'm pretty sure your 26MPG shown is more a 20MPG.

If you did reset it and drove 100% highway, it's normal for it to be high. I reset my trip 1 every time I fuel up and it's a lot more accurate than the ''average mpg'' shown on the fuel consumption screen.

FYI, the ''break-in'' period is 1000miles.

Last edited by Eduskator; 08-15-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:55 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes, it depends a lot on the conditions. I can fill up at the gas station at the top of the hill, reset and drive to the freeway, and when I hit the on-ramp it shows 50 mpg. By the time I get off at work it's back to the more normal 19-20. If I fill up on the way home in the flats, reset and then go up the hills to the house, it can read as low as 12. Last weekend I used about half a tank returning from a weekend camping trip towing our trailer (5,000+ lbs.) and it showed 10.8, and now after two trips to work it's still only at 12.8, because I didn't reset.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:40 AM

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Pitiful that truck owners now obsess over fuel economy numbers. You can thank automakers for featuring gadgets that make drivers ****-retentive.

All that's important to me is miles-until-empty. I sleep better at night.
The following users liked this post:
bisjoe (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 03:45 PM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by redrock
Pitiful that truck owners now obsess over fuel economy numbers. You can thank automakers for featuring gadgets that make drivers ****-retentive.

All that's important to me is miles-until-empty. I sleep better at night.
It has nothing to do with "gadgets", and everything to do with gas prices and money. I've cared about fuel economy since I started driving 20 years ago.

The only thing the gadgets have done is fool a handful of owners into believing their truck is more fuel efficient than it really is. Seems to be a Big 3 problem too, for some reason my wife's Honda and my old Nissan managed to accurately calculate the mpg average.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:29 PM

Received 701 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by bassJAM
It has nothing to do with "gadgets", and everything to do with gas prices and money. I've cared about fuel economy since I started driving 20 years ago.

The only thing the gadgets have done is fool a handful of owners into believing their truck is more fuel efficient than it really is. Seems to be a Big 3 problem too, for some reason my wife's Honda and my old Nissan managed to accurately calculate the mpg average.
So calibrate the LOM! It's not like it takes over a couple of minutes. My 2.7 was off 5-10% Depending on time of year and number of cold starts before I calibrated it.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:04 PM

Received 701 Likes on 504 Posts

Calibrate none pushbutton start (They are slightly different: play with it or search).

1. Press and Hold OK
2. Turn Switch to On (Without Starting) and after about 5 seconds "Engineering Test Mode" Message will appear.
3. Release OK and message will change to "Gauge Test"
4. Press OK approximately 32 times to get to "AFE Bias".
5. Press OK to enter into adjustment and use arrows to adjust.

It will be set on 1000. Divide calculated mpg by display mpg to get new Bias.
IE 18.00/20.00=900.
Most of the 3.5EB need around 934 but go by your own measurements as number of cold starts, time of year, specific gravity of fuel batch and truck to truck variations will all effect it.

Last edited by Gene K; 08-16-2018 at 02:07 PM.

Quick Reply: MPG advice.