General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcraft Oil Filter Bypass Valve Operation

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 11:36 AM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Motorcraft Oil Filter Bypass Valve Operation

So I have been trying to do a little research with oil filters and I came across the ford promo video/information video on the building of their filters. The advertising for the USCAR-36 requirements. The one thing that sort of stuck out to me was they showed how they redesigned the bypass valve in the filter so that it doesn't touch the dirty side of the filter media. While this sounds excellent in theory, it makes me wonder how on earth it's done.

In a typical filter, the bypass valve is at the end opposite of where the filter contacts the enginer. When pressure builds up in the filter so much that the oil cannot go through the filter, then the bypass valve opens. So how does the bypass valve get enough pressure in the newish designed motorcraft oil filter if it isn't building up pressure against the filter media? Wouldn't this technically create a situation where the filter media is always bypassed? Obviously, this isn't the case or it wouldn't work. However, it still begs the question how the pressure gets built-up if the filter media isn't contacted.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:36 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Doesn't sound that complicated. Maybe they put a shell around the perforated tube that oil normally flows to the filter media, and when in bypass closes them off so the oil then flows out the valve and around the media instead. Only way to know would be to cut one open.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:00 PM

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts

Buy one of those filters, take it apart, take pics and share here.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:38 AM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

This you tube video does a good job showing how a filter works.

Quick Reply: Motorcraft Oil Filter Bypass Valve Operation