General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcraft brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 08:10 PM

Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Default Motorcraft brake pads

Why does it seem that OEM brake pads last so much longer than ones you get at local parts stores?
Old 01-10-2018, 08:17 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by brihvac
Why does it seem that OEM brake pads last so much longer than ones you get at local parts stores?
Same thing for oem wiper blades, you can't buy them either, the ones at the dealer are Motorcraft not oem.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:46 PM

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Motorcraft product line is an after-market brand. It is marketed by Ford Division as a separate entity to dealers, some parts stores, etc. It is considered a value-based line which may not necessarily match the life expectancy of OEM. In fact, the suppliers for Motorcraft parts may not be the same ones making OEM.

A number of years ago, one of my vehicles needed brakes. The dealer quoted Motorcraft pads. I insisted on OEM. It cost me an extra $40 and a week to get them. It was worth the upgrade cost to me.

Retired Ford Engineer
Old 01-10-2018, 11:28 PM

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Hmm - While I agree the OEM pads have lasted a good amount of time on both my trucks (2006 & 2013) - The NAPA Adaptive One pads & NAPA Rotors I replaced them with have lasted just as long with great wear and performance.

I think the key is to replace rotors and pads at the same time, and to replace with high quality pads. I know of a lot of people that don't replace rotors (they turn them, or do nothing) and then install the cheapest pad they can find - and wonder why they only last 20-30k miles.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:28 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by 06screwlariat
Hmm - While I agree the OEM pads have lasted a good amount of time on both my trucks (2006 & 2013) - The NAPA Adaptive One pads & NAPA Rotors I replaced them with have lasted just as long with great wear and performance.

I think the key is to replace rotors and pads at the same time, and to replace with high quality pads. I know of a lot of people that don't replace rotors (they turn them, or do nothing) and then install the cheapest pad they can find - and wonder why they only last 20-30k miles.
Yeah I've had good luck with Napa and Smyth's (which is a local chain) parts. I try to stay away from Autozone/O'rielly/Advance/Pep Boys, their store brands seem a little crappy at best, and they are really good at giving me the wrong items.

I never knew Motocraft wasn't OEM. Last time I owned a Ford was 10 years ago, but back then Motocraft parts were always high quality for my Rangers.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:37 AM
music man

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

Auto parts is a get what you pay for industry.

You want cheap, you will get cheap, poor quality parts.

I sold auto parts for almost 25 years and constantly had people complain about the cheapest stuff not holding up. I had purchased a new line product for one of my own vehicles to try it out before I could ask my customers to try that particular line. The part lasted a month. It was a good story to get people to upgrade to quality parts.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by 06screwlariat

My response was addressing Motorcraft versus Ford OEM. There were some underlying factors as to having a dealer replace my brake pads. That was a rare exception for me to have a dealer do my brake work.

Yes, there are many after-market brake parts that rival (sometimes over-kill} OEM specs. It's a matter of cost versus perceived benefit.

Another item often overlooked or neglected is the age and condition of the calipers.The wear pattern on the pads would tell me a lot about the caliper's function. Not even high-end brake pads will survive the effects of a sticking or seized-up caliper.

Last edited by redrock; 01-11-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by bassJAM
Yeah I've had good luck with Napa and Smyth's (which is a local chain) parts. I try to stay away from Autozone/O'rielly/Advance/Pep Boys, their store brands seem a little crappy at best, and they are really good at giving me the wrong items.

I never knew Motorcraft wasn't OEM. Last time I owned a Ford was 10 years ago, but back then Motorcraft parts were always high quality for my Rangers.
I am not suggesting that Motorcraft is not a high quality part; I have used them many times in my own vehicles with good success. This includes brake pads, filters, secondary ignition parts, batteries, etc.

But notice these are the "soft" parts replaced at in-service intervals, not "hard" parts like cranks, trans, axles, etc. They are offered at a specific price point to compete in the after-market arena.

If you have time, do a google search on the history and status of Moog parts. Once upon a time, they were all U.S. made. Then Federal-Mogul bought them out. 16 countries now make parts under the Moog moniker. F-M will call it production consolidation; others won't be so kind.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:08 PM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by redrock
I am not suggesting that Motorcraft is not a high quality part; I have used them many times in my own vehicles with good success. This includes brake pads, filters, secondary ignition parts, batteries, etc.

But notice these are the "soft" parts replaced at in-service intervals, not "hard" parts like cranks, trans, axles, etc. They are offered at a specific price point to compete in the after-market arena.

That's what made me assume they were OEM, because I'm pretty sure Ford vehicles come from the factory with Motocraft oil filters, motor oil, spark plugs, etc. I figured Motocraft was Ford's line of replacement maintenance items (that could be sold outside of a dealership) while "genuine Ford parts" were replacement items for those "hard" items that don't typically break.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by bassJAM
That's what made me assume they were OEM, because I'm pretty sure Ford vehicles come from the factory with Motocraft oil filters, motor oil, spark plugs, etc. I figured Motocraft was Ford's line of replacement maintenance items (that could be sold outside of a dealership) while "genuine Ford parts" were replacement items for those "hard" items that don't typically break.
There is a crossover between OEM and after-market in some cases. A lot of this has to do with brand recognition. For example, if someone plans on replacing their air filter, they might be inclined to choose Motorcraft ( or Delco, Mopar, etc.) when the name and number are on the replacing part. They might also be inclined to go a dealer to get the part.

It's all about marketing and keeping a company's name/brand in front of the buyer. Nothing wrong with it..just the way it is.

Quick Reply: Motorcraft brake pads