General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most durable wheel finish

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Most durable wheel finish

I have a 2011 SCREW that's been a great truck. I got it w/ 40k and now it has 110k miles. It's a daily driver but I'm hoping to get a car eventually and save the truck for truck things. We take lots of road trips for work and vacation and tow our wakeboard boat. I stay on top of the maintenance and run it thru the car wash 1-2 times per month. I'm working 60+ hour weeks and have a 10 month old so there's no way I'm hand washing this truck. I plan to keep the truck until 200k or more.

My wheels had a little corrosion when I bought it, now they have more. It's not terrible but it is about the only thing cosmetically wrong with and other wise good looking truck. Last week I had a leaking tire, I was planning on replacing my tires in May before our next big road trip but since it was leaking I had them replaced Thursday. Saturday morning one was flat so I aired it up and went back to the tire shop. (Discount Tire) They said on of my rims is cracked. I'm not surprised since our potholes are extraordinary this year. They said they could have the rim repaired for $150. Today, Sunday another tire is low and so I think I have two cracked rims. Due the the fatigue life of aluminum and the corrosion I already had I don't really want to spend 300 fixing old wheels that don't really look that good. But I am trying to get a good looking stock style setup for as little as possible.

So now I'm shopping for new wheels but since I just bought new tires I can't take advantage of any wheel/ tire combos and I'll probably end up paying for mounting and balancing twice which is frustrating. I found a good set of take off wheels and tires from a 2018 truck but that would require me returning the tires I just bought. I'm going to call the shop on Monday and see what they can offer. The good news is my wife's car needs tires and if they can give me any credit for the ones I just bought I'll give it right back to them to fix her car. Her tires are cheaper though.

Assuming I can't return the tires I'm shopping for new replica wheels.
I like this machined one https://www.oewheelsllc.com/20-Fits-...hd-Face-20x8-5

And this PVD one https://www.oewheelsllc.com/20-Fits-...-Chrome-20x8-5

I plan to email the car wash chain I use (crew) and see if their products are pvd safe.

My wheels currently are machined and clear coated and they have quire a bit of corrosion from our winters. Which finish is more durable? What would you guys do?

Oh yea, the stock ceramic pads weren't working very well for towing for me so I switched to SD semi metallic ones which means I'm almost always going to have some brake dust showing. Here's the truck.

Most durable wheel finish-2l2lppn.jpg
Most durable wheel finish-hxw6pqn.jpg
Most durable wheel finish-j3bveca.jpg
Old 04-08-2018, 02:39 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

To answer your question what is more durable, the answer is chrome.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:20 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
To answer your question what is more durable, the answer is chrome.
Not if he lives where they spray the roads with brine and salt/sand in the winter months. He has already said corrosion in the winter is an issue. My vote is for a painted wheel for durability. I just went through a Kansas winter with brine and salt/sand applied to the roads probably 30 times in 4 months. My painted wheels look as good as the day I bought them. All it took was a coat of wax.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:12 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

You could get nice aftermarket wheels pretty cheap at Discount Tire. I just got my 20x9, XD Hiest wheels from them last month. Mounted( my original tires because they still have lots of life in them ) balanced, new lugs lifetime rotation out the door for $1120. Are those 18's on your truck? Most likely be less moola!
Old 04-08-2018, 05:17 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

Also, if you go with the take offs from an '18, your TPMS will have to be switched over from your old wheels. They are a different frequency and you'll have a warning light lit.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:56 PM

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Last edited by Stu Cazzo; 04-09-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike from TN
Also, if you go with the take offs from an '18, your TPMS will have to be switched over from your old wheels. They are a different frequency and you'll have a warning light lit.

Thanks for the info. After more research I think they're from a 2016 or 2017. Do you know what years are compatible?
Old 04-08-2018, 09:48 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Gavin17
Thanks for the info. After more research I think they're from a 2016 or 2017. Do you know what years are compatible?
09-14, 15> are different.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:32 PM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

I've had: polished alloy, machined alloy with clearcoat, painted steel.

In my area, we get heavy road salt, magnesium, calcium, sand, gravel, cinders, etc. applied to the roadways in winter. I also used to do quite a bit of mudding and offroad driving.

In my experience, a polished alloy wheel is the worst. HORRIBLE to keep looking good. A machined alloy wheel with a clearcoat finish is much easier to take care of and keep looking nice. However, eventually the clearcoat will pit and start to come off, which is what we're seeing in the pics in this thread. The advantage to a painted steel (or alloy) wheel is that you can easily sand and repaint them in the driveway at home. So in theory, they are the most "durable" because they will last longer.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:17 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Find a shop or detailer in your area that will ceramic coat your wheels. It is applied just like wax or any other type of sealant. Make sure they use a coating that is a higher temp coating as wheels of course will be higher temps than regular paint. You will not have any issues with corrosion or wear on a wheel that has been properly coated. It will last 2-3 years, cost a few hundred bucks to do (or less of course if you want to do it yourself), and you can clean them off with a hose and nothing else. I've had my gloss black painted wheels for about 3 years and they have been coated for about 2. They still look new and even when some dust and dirt and whatever else builds up on there, it only takes water and maybe a light brush off to clean them.

Quick Reply: Most durable wheel finish