General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might make a pass at the track tonight 1/4 mile

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 06:01 AM

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts
Default Might make a pass at the track tonight 1/4 mile

A friend of mine has a heavily modded brand-new Explorer sport and wants to run it at the track he has asked me to come along and get a baseline time for the stock 2013 5.0 I just bought. if I do this can you guys give me any suggestions on launching this I have never ran an automatic or a truck at the track. It kind of works perfect my tank is on empty should I put a few gallons of E 85 in? Or just run premium? Also what times could be expected from a RCSB 5.0, only has 10k miles. Thanks for any help or comments even if the comment is saying I shouldn't run the truck LOL.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:21 AM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Id run the E85 put about 1/2 a tank in and drive it 20 miles or more before you go. good luck and have fun.
The following users liked this post:
blue5.0 (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 06:34 AM

Received 291 Likes on 209 Posts

You can run whichever gas you want to run, w/o a tune, the different octanes will be non existent w/o tuning. Traditionally, you should have as little fuel as possible to make the vehicle lighter. As for tips, turn off traction control, launch off the brake at about 1800 rpm. If you wait till the light turns green, you waited to late. No idea what the numbers should be. Let us know how they both do.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by MurderFX
You can run whichever gas you want to run, w/o a tune, the different octanes will be non existent w/o tuning. Traditionally, you should have as little fuel as possible to make the vehicle lighter. As for tips, turn off traction control, launch off the brake at about 1800 rpm. If you wait till the light turns green, you waited to late. No idea what the numbers should be. Let us know how they both do.
Thanks for the advice on the traction control and launch RPM as far as the E85 I was under the assumption that added 10-15 hp and similar torque gains, I thought that may make a difference, maybe I was misinformed.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:28 AM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by MurderFX
Based upon what I've read and what I've experienced myself, this isn't true. The ECU will adapt to different octanes of fuel. On E-85, these things make a significant jump in horsepower. Even on 93 octane pump gas, there's a small gain.

I agree with everything else. I'm taking my Mustang to the track tomorrow. Once you go, it becomes addictive.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by WXman
Based upon what I've read and what I've experienced myself, this isn't true. The ECU will adapt to different octanes of fuel. On E-85, these things make a significant jump in horsepower. Even on 93 octane pump gas, there's a small gain. I agree with everything else. I'm taking my Mustang to the track tomorrow. Once you go, it becomes addictive.
I haven't been to the track for 10 years! My last run was in my 89 notchback coupe 5.0. I'm hoping not to get too addicted but wouldn't mind getting a baseline then throwing on a few bolt on's and getting another run. I'm a little bit nervous of poor times because of the 3.31 gears
Old 04-15-2016, 11:15 AM

Received 291 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by WXman
Based upon what I've read and what I've experienced myself, this isn't true. The ECU will adapt to different octanes of fuel. On E-85, these things make a significant jump in horsepower. Even on 93 octane pump gas, there's a small gain. I agree with everything else. I'm taking my Mustang to the track tomorrow. Once you go, it becomes addictive.
the computer will only advance spark/air/fuel so much with out a tune. In a 5k lb truck, even if it added 7-10hp, you would never notice it, therefore making it nonexistent.
The track makes me miss having a car....
Old 04-16-2016, 12:52 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

We do have sensors which tells the comp how much e85 is being run. That being said it can increase fuel timing and spark. But like mentioned above the big gains will only be seen with a tune. Works the same way for poor gas. It will retard to keep the ignition and engine from creating knock or hot spots igniting the fuel air mixture before the spark does crating two flame fronts.

Your best bet is to get to empty almost put in e85 disconnect battery to reset the Kam. This will relearn shift point and such

Quick Reply: Might make a pass at the track tonight 1/4 mile