Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin tire cracking side wall

Old 10-30-2013, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michelin tire cracking side wall

Does anyone have any experience with Michelin tires cracking (weather checking) at the base of the tread groves.
I have 2010 F150 STX with 24K miles and my tire dealer is telling me my Michelins need replaced due to weather checking at the base of the tread.
Tires appear to have more than 50% of the tread left.
Any information would be appreciated
The following users liked this post:
canddmeyer (06-23-2015)
Old 10-31-2013, 01:33 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Michelins are known for this type of cracking, sometimes it's minor and not a worry. I've been around tires for years, do me a favour, hard crank your front wheels and take a flash aided photo in bright daylight close up of the tread straight on and post it so I can see the cracking the dealer speaks of. If its minor at least someone here can be honest with you regarding replacement. Also look on the sidewalls for a DOT code, should end with 4 digits, those 4 digits can help me date the tires...
The following 2 users liked this post by nbrowser:
canddmeyer (06-23-2015), Jmoder (11-02-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 02:32 AM
MADDOG150

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have Michelins, too. They are doing the same thing with cracking on the the profile. I have a lot less miles on my tires with only 15K miles on mine. Not going to pay top dollar again if this is the result. Funny thing is that I have expensive Avons on my motorcycle, and the same thing is happening there, too! Sometimes, you don't always get what you pay for...lol

Jack
canddmeyer (06-23-2015)
Old 10-31-2013, 11:24 AM
11 EB SCREW 3.15 LSD 5.5'

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My Michelins have 35,000 kms on them, have a manufactured date of April, 2011, and are cracking just as you describe. It isn't serious, they are known to do this, but I don't like it.

Michelin gives pro-rated warranty on the purchase of a new set of Michelins but my money won't be going back into them, my best luck with light duty truck tires has been with BF Goodrich so they can have my dollars (ironically BFG is owned by Michelin and often uses older Michelin tire patterns, but maybe this is their strength, using tried and true methods).
Old 10-31-2013, 11:52 AM

Typical Michelin tires. I had noticeable cracking at 24K. I can tell you this I will never purchase michelin tires. High dollar tire and guaranteed to crack I believe all tires do crack at some point Michelin just likes to get an early start
canddmeyer (06-23-2015)
Old 11-03-2013, 07:26 PM

Just wanted to update this thread
Contacted Michelin Customer Care department and was assigned case number for this issue. Customer Care explained to me that this conditioned was not covered under warranty but they may offer a courtesy allowance. They directed me to the nearest authorized Michelin dealer for inspection of tire. Once the tire was inspected by the dealer it was determined that the tire had to be sent back to the factory for further examination.
I was asked to purchase a new Michelin tire and was told that once the factory made their inspection I would most likely be issued a credit of some kind.
Since the other tires on my truck have quite a bit of tread left and I was not anxious to buy four new tires, that what I did.
I have included a photo below of the tire that was returned to Michelin factory
Attached Thumbnails Michelin tire cracking side wall-image.jpg  
Old 11-03-2013, 07:42 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

After reading this thread last evening, I went out to my truck a 2012 F-150, with 32200 miles, I looked at each tire and did not notice any cracking. I have rotated every 5k miles and they are in good shape.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:13 AM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Common issue. My grandmother has been credited for 4 sets of Michelins that have been put on her Navigator for the same issue.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:48 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmoder
Just wanted to update this thread Contacted Michelin Customer Care department and was assigned case number for this issue. Customer Care explained to me that this conditioned was not covered under warranty but they may offer a courtesy allowance. They directed me to the nearest authorized Michelin dealer for inspection of tire. Once the tire was inspected by the dealer it was determined that the tire had to be sent back to the factory for further examination. I was asked to purchase a new Michelin tire and was told that once the factory made their inspection I would most likely be issued a credit of some kind. Since the other tires on my truck have quite a bit of tread left and I was not anxious to buy four new tires, that what I did. I have included a photo below of the tire that was returned to Michelin factory
I see it everyday on michelins it's mostly because of the Texas heat but man your cracking seems pretty superficial to be honest. I don't like cracking as much as the next guy but that isn't anywhere near the belts by the look of the photo. In my professional opinion cracking isn't good but that certainly isn't enough that I would say they need immediate replacement. I would have recommended driving on them a little longer keeping a close eye as they generally won't ever crack more than that.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:03 PM

You know I thought the cracking was minor too, but had two tire dealers advise me against running this tire for any period of time. They seemed concerned about the entire tread delaminating.
Thanks for input

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michelin tire cracking side wall