General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Messy rental car accident situation with ford

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Messy rental car accident situation with ford

I'm not sure where to post this but I have some questions about a current (messy) situation I'm in. So my mom has a ford truck that I drive a lot and it needed some service work done. She had just torn her meniscus so I took the truck in to ford. Her warranty offers a rental while her truck is being repaired. Here is where this gets messy. I signed the rental agreement and the truck and Insurence is in her name. My personal Insurence is for liability only. I got into a wreck with the rental car (probably totaled) and my personal Insurence will not cover it of course. I'm worried that her Insurence will deny the claim since I was driving and the cost of the rental will fall back on me. Does anyone have any insight to this or know where these questions may be better asked?
Old 10-27-2016, 05:20 PM

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,690 Posts

As you know, you should seek real legal attention, but I will say this: If I give someone permission to drive my car, they are covered by my insurance. I know this for fact because the person my wife works for was told this buy her insurance company, law in Texas. They do not need to be named on the policy.

More than likely her insurance will deny it, its going to get messy.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2016, 05:46 PM

Ok thanks, I'm thinking it will help since she is injured (that's why we figured it was a good time to service the truck) and that the reason I was driving the rental to begin with was to go to the pharmacy
Old 10-27-2016, 05:59 PM

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevnc1
Ok thanks, I'm thinking it will help since she is injured (that's why we figured it was a good time to service the truck) and that the reason I was driving the rental to begin with was to go to the pharmacy

All an insurance company cares about is profits, your reason for driving will not impact their decision. All they want to know is: Were you driving, were you given permission to drive, were you in compliance with state motor vehicle laws? Were you negligent to the extent they can deny?

Blah, blah, blah......
Old 10-27-2016, 07:10 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by digitaltrucker
If I give someone permission to drive my car, they are covered by my insurance.
My insurance company is the same.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:22 PM

Right right....I guess I'll just have to see how it Plays out...worst case scenario I guess I will be filing bankruptcy because there's no way I can pay for a 2016 focus out of pocket
Old 10-27-2016, 07:23 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Here is the problem. YOU signed the rental contract, not your mother. Did you write "for Betty Smith" after your signature? Did it say additional drivers were, or were not allowed? Did they copy / write down your driver's license?
Old 10-27-2016, 07:31 PM

Received 424 Likes on 282 Posts

I work in law enforcement and have seen the back lash a few times of a driver not being listed on the insurance policy. you may have to jump through some hoops.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:52 PM

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

Whose name was the rental agreement under? Did you or your mother provide a credit card number? If one was provided and insurance denies the claim, expect them to try and add the charge to the card. If under her name, her insurance may cover it (but expect them to deny it first). Hopefully the dealer won't try to hold on to the truck until it's resolved.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:59 PM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

Exclamation

My insurance stays with the vehicle.... So same, if I give my brother permission to drive it, he's covered by my insurance.

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
My insurance company is the same.
Originally Posted by digitaltrucker
If I give someone permission to drive my car, they are covered by my insurance.