General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MD state inspection-HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MD state inspection-HELP

I’m looking to sell my lifted f150 to some guy in southern Maryland but he wants me to get an inspection done first and I called 3 shops and they all said I would fail with bigger tires and a 4in lift does anybody know any shops that can pass me for some extra cash on the side?? Any help appreciated
Old 02-21-2019, 07:52 PM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

Sounds like the buyers problem. If he wants to drive it in Maryland he can buy it and get it inspected... or he can meet you at the shop and pay for the inspection. Unless you're that hard up for cash and need to sell the vehicle I wouldn't jump thru hoops for a buyer. Worst case you shell out for the inspection and then he doesn't buy it.

Yeah don't hassle yourself with that. Someone wants to buy the truck... they will come buy the truck...
The following 2 users liked this post by fordguy2100:
Radam3 (02-22-2019), RLXXI (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 08:16 PM

Received 201 Likes on 106 Posts

They're not the right buyer. If you sell a vehicle as a private sale, it's almost always "as is". I wouldn't jump through hoops. If they want it, they can buy it and worry about their own state laws. If it won't pass due to state law, do you really want to skip someone some cash to illegally have it pass? I sure wouldn't.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Tell him, it's HIS responsibility to get it legal in his state. Seems to me if 3 shops told you it would fail...…..YOU would be circumventing the law and possibly leaving yourself open to liability/legal issues if you did manage to get it inspected. EVERY used vehicle I've purchased from an individual has been "AS IS/WHERE IS"...….and that is the stand you should take with your truck. As the saying goes, "there's an *** for every seat".
Old 02-21-2019, 11:41 PM

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Maryland state inspection is one of the stricter ones (I've lived in PA and DE) - I would tell him you are selling the truck as-is, and he would need to ensure it will pass inspection if he buys it. I don't think the 4 inch lift will be as much of an issue as the bigger tires - he will probably have to get it inspected with stock wheels/tires since they usually complain about them sticking out.

Where I'm at everyone throws on their stock wheels and tires back on, gets it inspected, and then goes back to the bigger tires.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:52 AM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by fordguy2100
Sounds like the buyers problem. If he wants to drive it in Maryland he can buy it and get it inspected... or he can meet you at the shop and pay for the inspection. Unless you're that hard up for cash and need to sell the vehicle I wouldn't jump thru hoops for a buyer. Worst case you shell out for the inspection and then he doesn't buy it.

Yeah don't hassle yourself with that. Someone wants to buy the truck... they will come buy the truck...
i agree 100%. if he really wants the truck i don't think he would ask for an inspection
Old 02-22-2019, 10:18 AM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

A lot depends on the asking price, you can get more selling a vehicle already inspected
Old 03-03-2019, 07:27 PM

Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 06screwlariat
Maryland state inspection is one of the stricter ones (I've lived in PA and DE) - I would tell him you are selling the truck as-is, and he would need to ensure it will pass inspection if he buys it. I don't think the 4 inch lift will be as much of an issue as the bigger tires - he will probably have to get it inspected with stock wheels/tires since they usually complain about them sticking out.

Where I'm at everyone throws on their stock wheels and tires back on, gets it inspected, and then goes back to the bigger tires.
Pa is a joke of inspection because any schmo with a garage can inspect it. Maryland is actually pretty easy too because the garages are also independent . Especially if you go to a garage that does offroad customizing which there is many. Now Delaware is a centralized state run with state employee DMV and all of them have attitudes. There is no way Maryland is stricter than Delaware. I had the same situation with a custom motorcycle that the OP does. Guy wanted me to get it inspected in Maryland so I took it to a motorcycle shop that does inspections and the guy took all of 3 minutes looking at it and handed me all the paperwork. I didn't even have front turn signals on it. My advice to OP is to look up some 4X4 shops that also have their inspection license. If the OP has had it for sale for awhile with no bites and this guy is willing to pay what the OP will accept......He is going to do what he has to do to send it down the road. Not tell the guy its his problem to get it inspected. It will be the OP's problem if the guy walks and he has no one else interested in purchasing the truck for the same money, or at all. I don't blame him for trying to get it inspected and be done with it.

Last edited by brihvac; 03-03-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:50 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I live in southern Maryland. I purchased a truck from texas with a 6 inch lift and 35 inch tires. It would not pass inspection because the tires stuck out a couple of inches beyond the fenders. The lift was not a problem as long as the bottom of the bumper is 28 inches or less. I purchased bushwhacker fender flares and had them installed. Mechanic passed the inspection.

If you are from another state, then the Maryland buyer should buy as is. It is his responsibility to get the inspection done and comply with it before he can register it. If you are from Maryland, as inspection wouldn't hurt your chances of selling it. It could even help with your sale.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:05 PM

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts

I'd pass on that potential buyer. The inspection demand would be a red flag for me if this were my deal..
Aside from the inspection issue, looks to me even later if he did buy your truck, he'd be a nit pick'n complaining PITA.

Quick Reply: MD state inspection-HELP