General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May Have to Sell It...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:01 PM
WDE

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Well unfortunately I've hit rock bottom of the broke college kid status, just keeping gas in my truck plus getting towed the other day has run out my bank account and my parents weren't to happy about that when I visited home for the weekend. They laid down the law that I may have to sell the ole ford in the future, maybe near maybe not. I'd hate to see the thing go cause I really love this truck and don't know what else I'd see myself in. I was in a scion tc before this truck and the whole car thing just doesn't feel manly to me. What are you guys and gals opinions on cars that I could look into that won't take away my man card but are good on gas? haha
I've thought about maybe a ~01-05 mustang gt, but don't see much improvement in mileage with that. Any ideas?

Last edited by 04_lariat_4x4; 10-20-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Ford Tech

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Fusion Sport? Even a V6 Mustang
Old 10-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,124 Likes on 2,830 Posts

my dads 03 mustang GT would get 26MPG on the highway no problem...
Old 10-20-2012, 09:07 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Well 01-04 is a different body style than 05 in the mustang world and any of them will do better mileage than your truck. I would easily get 25 highway in my old mustangs, sometimes more depending on speed. You are talking a 4000lb car vs a 6000lb brick wall, the car is much more economical.

With that being said, if you cant afford to keep your truck stop worrying about being "manly" and worry about paying your bills. Not saying you aren't now, but struggling financially is much less manly.

Get a beater to use during school, if you even need a car at all. Once you graduate, get a job, save some money, then worry about getting a newer car and a car loan. No need for that now.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:20 PM
WDE

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 04DarkShadowGT
Well 01-04 is a different body style than 05 in the mustang world and any of them will do better mileage than your truck. I would easily get 25 highway in my old mustangs, sometimes more depending on speed. You are talking a 4000lb car vs a 6000lb brick wall, the car is much more economical.

With that being said, if you cant afford to keep your truck stop worrying about being "manly" and worry about paying your bills. Not saying you aren't now, but struggling financially is much less manly.

Get a beater to use during school, if you even need a car at all. Once you graduate, get a job, save some money, then worry about getting a newer car and a car loan. No need for that now.
Yeah I should've been more clear about that, I just threw in the 05 models too cause there's alot of good ones around here for about the same price as 04's. I agree I need to worry less about manly, it'd just be hard with getting rid of this truck haha. Plus I could probably get a car up to close or equal value of my truck, as long as I'd be saving on gas in the long run. I'm just super tight on cash now because I cannot work during this first semester of school and living off what I made over summer, but after this semester I can hold a part time job which will make it alot easier to keep a vehicle fueled and running
Old 10-20-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

How about a smart car or a moped, sorry you are down on your luck, but school is more important then a vehicle, good luck.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts

That sucks maybe having to sell your truck, but it also sucks spending all your money on fuel for it. If you must sell it why not get a reliable Honda civic or something similar? I'm not talking ricer style just a stock one. Cheap on gas and reliable. I've owned 2 of them now. Never any problems and easy on gas. Then when you're done school and can work full time maybe you'll even be able to get a new or newer truck. Sacrifice now for long term betterment. It's always a hard choice but only you know what ya gotta do.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd be looking for a Lincoln Mark VIII. I drove a 95 for a while and got great gas mileage, 28ish why and 16-18 in town. Gotta love the 32valve v8. That's what I had when I sold my first truck. Not sure how far of a drive you have for classes etc but a bike can really help save on fuel costs too.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 04_lariat_4x4
Well unfortunately I've hit rock bottom of the broke college kid status, just keeping gas in my truck plus getting towed the other day has run out my bank account I was in a scion tc before this truck and the whole car thing just doesn't feel manly to me. What are you guys and gals opinions on cars that I could look into that won't take away my man card but are good on gas? haha
Any ideas?
Taking care of your education and finances is manly. What you drive to get that taken care of is unimportant.

Short story about a guy a went through High School with that was in the same boat you're in....

This guy's parents couldn't afford his education or transportation or even good clothes. He was BROKE.
He had dreams and drive though plus knew how to work hard.
He did his best everyday in everything he did.He knew if he was to succeed he had to besides that is how he lived anyway.

He was looked up to by everyone because of this. His Man Card never left his hand.

This is the car he drove to school.....http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/iso-isetta.html

No one has ever doubted him as a Man. He was/is a Man's Man.

His name is Tommy Lee Jones.

You can do it too.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also need to think about insurance, who cares if your saving on gas if your insurance premium is double. Im sure it has to be way cheaper in the truck then a 05 gt. I just dont see how going from an f150 to a 05 v8 mustang is gonna benefit you financially at all.

Quick Reply: May Have to Sell It...