Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love my truck, hate the engine. help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love my truck, hate the engine. help!

So i bought myself a f150 2006 5.4L 3v off craigslist. everything was well over the last year and a half. i changed a few things here and there, power steering pump, couple leaking hoses and such. It all started last year... in october i decided to do a tune up, i felt a light vibration from the engine. I replaced all spark plugs (lucky none broke) with new motorcraft ones. I also replaced all the coil plugs since the last owner used some cheap chinese ones with motorcraft ones. Also replaced the fuel filter.
Here it comes:
I replaced the oil with motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend.
A few weeks later the valve train started to sound like a sewing machine.
I replaced the VCT solenoids hoping that was the problem.
It wasn't, it still sounded like a sewing machine.
2 weeks ago, i finished work, got in my truck. got to the second stop sign, and all hell broke loose. on low RMPs the truck stalled a few times. Initial codes were p0018 and p0022. I figured since i replaced the solenoids not too long ago it had to be the phasers. I ordered a new timing kit set (phasers, chains, guides ect) all oem. replaced everything. truck ran great on this past monday, maybe ran a good 120 miles. tuesday morning i fired it up, still sounded great until i stopped on the second stop sign. the problem returned. on low rpm, truck is stalling. same codes p0018 and p0022 returned. What should i check now? I am completely out of ideas. Engine looked good, no major sludge build up. oil pressure looks good too, and overall the engine looked pretty clean without major sludge build up.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

When you say the "oil pressure looks good", did you actually hook up a mechanical pressure gauge and check? The dash gauge is a glorified mechanical idiot light and does not show true actual pressure.

My first thought is either a marginal oil pump or a worn sprocket if that was not changed with the other stuff.

I will also add that many knowledgeable people to include some experienced Ford Tech's unofficially recommend going to a 5W-30 oil on the 5.4's to alleviate phaser issues.

Last edited by Undercover Brother; 03-09-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:42 AM
Aspiring Banhammerator

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

How did you check oil pressure? It needs to be checked with a manual gauge and the truck in gear and up to normal temp.

You said 'without major sludge', is there any sludge at all? The oil passages and clearances are tight enough on those heads that even the slightest bit of sludge can cause issues.

It might be best to pull a valve cover and pull off a cam cap to inspect for damage before going any further. If there is any damage to the cam caps, that would indicate insufficient oil pressure to the heads, and replacement of the long block would be necessary...
Old 03-09-2017, 09:43 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

This is just a shot in the dark but both times you had codes to do with cam shaft position sensors.

That would be the place I would start looking. If you are not inclined to have a good diagnostic mechanic figure this out for you, I would consider changing the sensors and having a good look at the wiring going to those sensors. Look for sign of abrasions, pinching cuts, etc. The sensors themselves are not too expensive so changing them out might not be a bad shot in the dark guess, since the other work has already been done and you had the same codes prior to the new parts.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:28 PM

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Yeah I wouldn't stop at that second stop sign any more.
The following users liked this post:
tareed94 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 03:29 PM

Received 401 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by ScubaKen
Yeah I wouldn't stop at that second stop sign any more.
Probably the best diagnostic advise I have ever heard.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Did you put Motorcraft components in or Cloyes?
Old 03-11-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by tareed94
Did you put Motorcraft components in or Cloyes?
OP has not logged in since he posted. Probably will not until he needs something again.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:16 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by Undercover Brother
OP has not logged in since he posted. Probably will not until he needs something again.
Oh well. We tried.