General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOUD grinding sound on almost new '17 XLT 4wD off road equiped

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOUD grinding sound on almost new '17 XLT 4wD off road equiped

My new 2017 F150 XLT 3.5 Eco with 4WD and the off road pkg started intermittently making a LOUD noise that sounds like a metal garbage can being pinned and dragged underneath the truck. It started around 3k miles. About 6k on it now.

I checked for freedom of all the OR package ground shields and freedom of the driveshaft, tires, etc. It looks brand-new underneath.

It mainly occurs when it is cold and has been sitting up for a couple/few days, and is more pronounced going uphill. If I push the accelerator, it is louder, if I let off, it is quieter. There is a slight vibration that accompanies the sound in proportion to how loud it is thta day. It has rarely occurred at highway speeds, and when it does, it appears correlated to how much the gas pedal is pushed (leading me to believe it might be related to a vacuum issue).

At the 5k oil change, the dealership checked the codes and found nothing. And since it hadn't recurred for several weeks before and after, I figured maybe it was resolving itself.

Now it is getting to be a regular occurence. Sometimes it is incredibly loud and sometimes it is fairly subtle.

When I tow my 4k lbs./20 foot trailer, it does not seem to make it more or less frequent or intense.

I love the truck, otherwise.

Any ideas of what it is? The dealer seems stumped too. They have had the truck for a couple weeks, and have managed to replicate the sound but unable so far to isolate it. Since it is intermittent, it is more of a puzzle.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:03 AM

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Myforest40
My new 2017 F150 XLT 3.5 Eco with 4WD and the off road pkg started intermittently making a LOUD noise that sounds like a metal garbage can being pinned and dragged underneath the truck. It started around 3k miles. About 6k on it now.

I checked for freedom of all the OR package ground shields and freedom of the driveshaft, tires, etc. It looks brand-new underneath.

It mainly occurs when it is cold and has been sitting up for a couple/few days, and is more pronounced going uphill. If I push the accelerator, it is louder, if I let off, it is quieter. There is a slight vibration that accompanies the sound in proportion to how loud it is thta day. It has rarely occurred at highway speeds, and when it does, it appears correlated to how much the gas pedal is pushed (leading me to believe it might be related to a vacuum issue).

At the 5k oil change, the dealership checked the codes and found nothing. And since it hadn't recurred for several weeks before and after, I figured maybe it was resolving itself.

Now it is getting to be a regular occurence. Sometimes it is incredibly loud and sometimes it is fairly subtle.

When I tow my 4k lbs./20 foot trailer, it does not seem to make it more or less frequent or intense.

I love the truck, otherwise.

Any ideas of what it is? The dealer seems stumped too. They have had the truck for a couple weeks, and have managed to replicate the sound but unable so far to isolate it. Since it is intermittent, it is more of a puzzle.

Most of the people working with this issue have come to the conclusion with an electronic part controlling the vacume for the hubs. I'm not a mechanic but there are several forums on here discussing a similar issue from 15-present. Seems that some of these vacume modules or whatever is failing seems to be the cause.
The following users liked this post:
Myforest40 (12-30-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 08:26 AM

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

After they repair the failed vacuum part you will need them to inspect/replace the parts that engage at the hubs just like my dealer did. There was lots of damage from the grindung and metal shavings in there.
Myforest40 (12-30-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be something as simple as a loose exhaust heat shield?
Old 12-26-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Look at these threads and see if maybe you have this same issue. Not sure on how many are affected but we see posts like this a lot.

Mine is 100% fixed after the dealer had it the 2nd time. They replaced a ton of parts but I think it was a minor vacuum issue that started it all for me. Can cause a lot of damage so I would get it fixed ASAP, I didn't want to drive mine very far once it did it for fear of doing more damage to my brand new truck. 1st time I even made them tow it in. 2nd time I was able to get it in there myself. If I had to I would have kept calling Ford and making them tow it in each time but the dealer handled it very well even though it took them a while and a couple visits to get it fixed.

All they have to do is look at the metal shards and damage to your axle/hubs to verify there is a bad problem.

https://www.f150forum.com/f2/gen-ii-...c-pump-397377/

https://www.f150forum.com/f12/2017-f...-noise-385482/
The following 2 users liked this post by dajohu:
johnday in BFE (12-30-2017), Myforest40 (12-30-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Does putting the truck in 4H make the noise go away? Also does your truck have the 10 speed transmission? Some people report the 10 speed "rattles" at times.
Myforest40 (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been unable to determine that for certain. It is so intermittent. I do have the 10 speed, but that is not it apparentlly.
After reading all the links provided by dajohu above, I got with the Ford dealer tech and insisted they look at the IWE system. They had been trying to link the problem to the turbos, unsuccessfully, but were reluctant at first to take my word for it. Within an hour of agreeing to do it, they found that the associated IWE vacuum check valves were faulty. Unfortunately, the dealership did not keep these parts in stock. Strange for a "F150 Superstore".
Old 12-30-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Myforest40
I have been unable to determine that for certain. It is so intermittent. I do have the 10 speed, but that is not it apparentlly.
After reading all the links provided by dajohu above, I got with the Ford dealer tech and insisted they look at the IWE system. They had been trying to link the problem to the turbos, unsuccessfully, but were reluctant at first to take my word for it. Within an hour of agreeing to do it, they found that the associated IWE vacuum check valves were faulty. Unfortunately, the dealership did not keep these parts in stock. Strange for a "F150 Superstore".
It's fairly common, I know my dealership keeps them in stock.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:21 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

[QUOTE Within an hour of agreeing to do it, they found that the associated IWE vacuum check valves were faulty. Unfortunately, the dealership did not keep these parts in stock. Strange for a "F150 Superstore".[/QUOTE]

You can pickup your very own, brand new check valve off Amazon. Rumor also has it that AutoZone, Advance Auto, and others have it as well, or better yet, go to a better equipped dealer and tell them you want a YG360 check valve.
Never mind on Amazon, it says it doesn't fit a 2017, myself, and a few others here, can tell you it does.
Here's a photo of it, it's the white round thingy on the hose, make sure you replace in the proper orientation.

For some reason, I can't upload a photo. If you go to that first link provided, I have a photo in there that shows the check valve, and the solenoid. Read the whole thread, you can also do a search on here for "IWE problems".

Last edited by johnday in BFE; 12-30-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: LOUD grinding sound on almost new '17 XLT 4wD off road equiped