General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for first time F150 buyer advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for first time F150 buyer advice

Hi all, appreciate any advice you can provide!

I’m new to the truck market and have focused on the F150. Budget max is $45k. I’m coming from a 2010 Audi S4, I need the utility of a bed, mainly for baseball gear (I coach), throwing mountain bikes in the back, and normal house ownership chores.

I’m primarily looking at 2016/2017 used Lariat or Platinum if the right one comes along. Although not a lot of them in my area (Northern VA).

Question 1 - any specific options I should really look for?

Question 2 - anything I should avoid?

Question 3 - does it seem logical to just look into a less well equipped 2018?

Any additional advice is welcome, or if there’s an existing thread on this topic please pass that URL along!

thanks
Davd
Old 08-11-2018, 09:45 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Don’t buy used. Buy new the depreciation is not very good on used trucks. Unless it has 100k plus. For a little bit more you can get a new truck. Focus on the important things. Crew cab, 4x4, 10 speed trans, engine choice. Unless you tow a lot stick to gas. The maintenance is a lot cheaper on gas once you get some miles on it. My personal preference is the 5.0 because I want to drive the truck till the wheels fall off. But that your preference. 302a package is a good middle ground but that something you have to decide.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:12 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

I think the model or year end deals will be fantastic this year. Just got a mailer for $13,500 off a $49,000 F150. Seemed like manufacture incentives although I didn't read it closely as I'm not in the market. Seems early for big discounts so this fall might be a good time to buy and with your budget I'd think finding higher trim should be easy you just might need to drive a bit to pick it up.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:29 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

Don’t buy used. Buy new the depreciation is not very good on used trucks. Unless it has 100k plus. For a little bit more you can get a new truck. Focus on the important things. Crew cab, 4x4, 10 speed trans, engine choice. Unless you tow a lot stick to gas. The maintenance is a lot cheaper on gas once you get some miles on it. My personal preference is the Ecoboost because I want to drive the truck till the wheels fall off. But that your preference. 302a package is a good middle ground but that something you have to decide.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by tanked_darren
Don’t buy used. Buy new the depreciation is not very good on used trucks. Unless it has 100k plus. For a little bit more you can get a new truck. Focus on the important things. Crew cab, 4x4, 10 speed trans, engine choice. Unless you tow a lot stick to gas. The maintenance is a lot cheaper on gas once you get some miles on it. My personal preference is the Ecoboost because I want to drive the truck till the wheels fall off. But that your preference. 302a package is a good middle ground but that something you have to decide.
you do realize that a na engine is inherently more reliable due to a more simplistic design. Your post isn’t funny... no one will remember you.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:38 AM

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Looking at a 1-2 year old used is tough, as others mentioned unless you get a great deal it often isn’t really worth it.

Really depends on your wants/needs. If you don’t need leather the 302A is a pretty sweet package, especially with the sport package (my opinion the cloth is nicer) and they are heated.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan_2020
Looking at a 1-2 year old used is tough, as others mentioned unless you get a great deal it often isn’t really worth it.

Really depends on your wants/needs. If you don’t need leather the 302A is a pretty sweet package, especially with the sport package (my opinion the cloth is nicer) and they are heated.
By saying 302A, does that mean the XLT ?
Old 08-12-2018, 06:02 PM

Big issue I have with the XLT are the halogen lights
Old 08-12-2018, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by DavidGD
Big issue I have with the XLT are the halogen lights
yeah some people do like the led headlights on the lariats and they are cool looking. I just wasn’t going to pay what ford wanted for that package. I can add aftermarket leds for a fraction of the price. But that is your decision I just felt after looking at the options and prices the 302a met my needs and exceded then really for about 8k less but again your decision.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by F_150_18

yeah some people do like the led headlights on the lariats and they are cool looking. I just wasn’t going to pay what ford wanted for that package. I can add aftermarket leds for a fraction of the price. But that is your decision I just felt after looking at the options and prices the 302a met my needs and exceded then really for about 8k less but again your decision.
You’re right, I’m sure aftermarket lights certainly aren’t 8k. Any reason you like the cloth more than the leather?

Quick Reply: Looking for first time F150 buyer advice