General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a 2018

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 01:08 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Looking at a 2018

So the good ole 02 ram is giving up slowly. Been going through fuel pumps like it’s a job, high miles and more and more issues, and with having a infant I need something that won’t break down on me with him in truck.

I was looking at a 2017 ford but can’t find ANY near me with the requirements or “wants” I picked with truck, so looks like I’ll settle for the 18.

After reading several threads and post I get mix reviews on what motor. I know everyone is going have their own opinion, and I know when it comes to reviews it’s more common to see bad then good.

What I’m mostly looking at in a truck is 4 door, center console, 4x4, those are the major things. Anything else would be nice add ons. My current truck I rarely pulled things, used bed of truck a lot, but never towed because it’s 2wd and was always slightly nervous although I used it several times to pull cars out of snow. I will be keeping this truck till it decides to die so resale isn’t a worry. With that I’m sure through the years I will buy a trailer and use it for tow, but not a rv.

Another key things is I will be buying this truck out right, not financing so hoping to save some money there.

What would you do in my case?
Old 03-26-2018, 01:11 PM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Sounds to me like you already have a target. I would dealer scout, find what you want for the price and spring on it. Any of the engine options in these newer trucks are good. If you want, maybe look into custom ordering.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:33 PM

Received 863 Likes on 588 Posts

What SCORGE said, custom ordering will allow you to get exactly what you want. Color, options, etc...

So you use the bed a lot? Would you be ok with an extended cab, or would you prefer the crew cab? You can get a crew cab with a 6.5' bed, but it's rare, whereas the extended cabs come standard with the 6.5' bed. With a kid though, the crew cab will be much more friendly. As far as the motor, they're all really good. You'll have the v8 guys (me) tell you to get the 5.0, and the ecoboost guys telling you to get the ecoboost. The only consistent issue I read about the ecoboost is the timing chain, but that's not to say the 5.0 is perfect either. I say test drive all the motors and buy whichever you like the most. Be a stickler with the maintenance and it should last as long as your Ram if not longer.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:34 PM

Received 213 Likes on 160 Posts

My bit of advice would be to go out and drive the truck with different motors. You can ask the question here, but it mostly turns into a "which one is better" debate, and while there may be some sliver of help you get out of that debate, what motor is really best for you is all that matters. Drive them, and look around here on the different "debates" between all the engines, there are a lot of them, There are a lot of claims, facts, opinions, etc., but buried deep in there is some good information on towing, mileage, etc. which may be helpful to you. That is one thing I did when researching exactly what would be best for my situation.

I also was looking for a 2017 and "settled" on ordering a 2018. I used the "build and price" tool on the Ford site so many times, and realized exactly what I was looking, for me and my situation, so I ended up ordering it.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:06 PM

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's the website to build your own:
https://shop.ford.com/build/f150/?gn...hooseyourpath/

Consumer Reports recently gave the 2018 F-150 4x4 with 2.7L EB its top rating among pick-ups.

Not bad for a magazine that seems to have off-shore blood running through it.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:47 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. I definitely don’t want this thread to become a motor debate lol there are a lot.

I do for sure want the crew cab because of the kid, need that space back there, and yes I do use the bed of the truck a lot. Like mentioned will probably end up even getting a trailer, but whatever I pull it won’t be a RV, more like jet skis/quads.

I will check out building my own and see what it comes up as. Tomorrow I will be going to th ford dealer to drop off the gfs new edge, so I’ll prob take a look around. I am looking at buying upfront so hopefully I get a little lower rate but we shall see. I’ll be dealing with 3 different dealers on price so this will be fun lol.

With all reviews and my father always being a ford guy (I have been to but my dodge I got a steal on) I’m sure it’ll last like my dodge has, and probably even longer!
Old 03-26-2018, 07:55 PM

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

When we had our second child, I bought s 2014 STX Super Crew. The STX has everything you need, and the kids can junk it up without you losing your mind. You can also get the STX with or without carpet and all 3 engine choices are available. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:12 PM

Received 357 Likes on 262 Posts

4 engine choices.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:38 AM

Finally got the chance to drive all motor options and chat with a couple different ford workers. I liked the v8 and didn’t mind the 3.5. Think my biggest thing I felt with the 3.5 is I didn’t like was how going from a dead stop to taking off it lag slightly, when talking to ford mechanics they said it’s the computer because it starts in a low gear so it can’t just bang go. They said it could change after a year when the computer picks up on my style of driving.

Also while at ford I talked to a Forman mechanic on his opinion and knowledge since he sees these trucks coming in. He recommended if I was buying and keeping for a long period to go with v8. He likes the 3.5 but said for a long period of time more $$$ can be coughed out on those then the v8.

I am now tryinh figure what all to get. Want the 302a package for sure, not sure about this BLIS add on, anyone have opinions on that?
Old 04-08-2018, 04:11 PM

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by EWC88
I am now tryinh figure what all to get. Want the 302a package for sure, not sure about this BLIS add on, anyone have opinions on that?
Engine debate aside, I'd get the most practical features for a long term truck. 302a or better (Sync 3 with touch screen), BLISS is handy but doesn't have an audio alert (come on Ford), power fold mirrors CAN be added to an XLT with work but come on a Lariat, and the 18's now charge for things that were standard for 15-17 XLTs. If you're needing a 4x4 the 4A drive is only on Lariats+.

I bought a factory lease return with the same requirements of sport package, 157" wheelbase (crew + 6.5' bed), and a decent but not optimized tow package. So far I love it with my only regret being that I didn't **** off my wife by buying the blue color I REALLY wanted.
The following users liked this post:
UncleG (04-09-2018)

Quick Reply: Looking at a 2018