General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leveling kit and airbags worth the upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 12:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Leveling kit and airbags worth the upgrade

Are they worth it. I picked up a 19 lariat and i'm just wondering if the leveling kit is worth it. I read mixed reactions on the airbags and it seems the airlift 5000 is overkill and will ruin the everyday ride. So the airlift ride-control seems o be better. I'd like some thoughts and input.

Are there any other worthy upgrades?
The following users liked this post:
jillcooper (05-31-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 01:45 AM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

'Worth it' for what? For people who want their truck leveled, and/or to be able to fit a little bit larger tires, yes it is. For people who want more lift and bigger tires, or for people who don't want any lift at all, obviously it's not. You need to give us a little more info bud.
Bags are a separate issue. You plan on carrying excess weight in your bed, or towing heavy?
jillcooper (05-31-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 10:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't tow super heavy We have a 5500 lb (dry) camper that we tow quite a bit. I put Firestone Ride Rite bags on my '12 FX4. I liked them so much I just put them on my '19 Platinum. The truck doesn't NEED them to tow the weight I'm hauling, but it smooths out the ride and helps the truck a level out a little better when towing. Plus, when I am not towing, I drop them to 5lbs PSI and I don't notice any difference in ride.
Gigel (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 07:50 AM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by a2pfunk
I don't tow super heavy We have a 5500 lb (dry) camper that we tow quite a bit. I put Firestone Ride Rite bags on my '12 FX4. I liked them so much I just put them on my '19 Platinum. The truck doesn't NEED them to tow the weight I'm hauling, but it smooths out the ride and helps the truck a level out a little better when towing. Plus, when I am not towing, I drop them to 5lbs PSI and I don't notice any difference in ride.
My cousin has the same airbags on his '04. He moves a round baler with it that is about 5,000 lbs payload. He has the airbags at about 20 psi and the baler doesn't squat the truck
Old 05-31-2019, 03:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The one thing i was concerned is about the ride. Some people say that it changes the ride to be more rough. Trying to find out more info before i put them on. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:07 PM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

I've got a 2.5" level and the AirLift 2000 with the single in cab controller and you cannot tell that either have been installed (by the ride). My wife only knew because she needed to step up more to get in.
I just had a 1500# load of rock in the bed, added 50psi to the bags and it was level and the ride with the weight was just fine.
I also tow a 4000# camper to Paonia, Colorado once a year from Ft. Worth, Texas and with the same 50psi it is a smooth ride the whole way and my lights stay on the road.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:30 AM
Boosting Traveler

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the Airlift 5000’s & Rough Country 2” front leveling kit. I tow a Sonoma bunkhouse 32’ ft 6800 dry 7900 wet TT. I will tell you the 5000’s are a rough ride even with the minimum recommended 5psi unloaded (they have the jounce bumpers in the bag). Some roads out here in Cali are worse than others but most of the drive is tolerable. When hitched up and 50-70psi it does a few things. 1. I had bags in long before the spacers and there was just mild bucking front to back, but certainly leveled the rear with the front (mind you pre bag install measurements taken as to not imbalance it’s natural stance regardless of overall height) . 2. When I added the spacers I noticed a large improvement with the bucking issue as there may have been less travel due to the rigid spacers when hitched, but unhitched the improvement was marginal maintaining the 5psi. I’d say if your looking to level lift it by putting bags and spacers it can work, I just think I made the mistake of not going to the 2.25” spacer for these bags. There is still a slight rake, but who knows the thicker the spacer the more rigid the ride. In the end it is a rough ride with Airlift bags we can’t all choose the perfect setup, gotta learn as we go. Spacers or no spacers daily driving with them bags is a bit of a nag, I’d thought bout stepping down or to another bag system altogether but damn it’s more work ��. I’ve been running these bags for 2 solid years and the spacers for a little more than a year FYI. I believe the 5000’s would be best suited for leveled height with spacers at or thicker than 2.25” so you may be on the right path thinking of the 2.5” kit FWIW. Hope this helps.
Gigel (06-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Leveling kit and airbags worth the upgrade