General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a leveling approach the best choice

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is a leveling approach the best choice

First truck, 2017 F-150 lariat, just measured rear wheel well apex at 40", and the front wheel measured 37"... wow 3 inch difference. I really like the view as well as the ride, I was previously driving a 08 corvette. I want to keep the ride the same or better but level the truck out. Is there a good way to have both
Thanks
Old 09-30-2017, 03:20 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Tgunsthought
First truck, 2017 F-150 lariat, just measured rear wheel well apex at 40", and the front wheel measured 37"... wow 3 inch difference. I really like the view as well as the ride, I was previously driving a 08 corvette. I want to keep the ride the same or better but level the truck out. Is there a good way to have both
Thanks
The best way especially if you want the same or better ride quality would be a lift kit, they are designed to lift and level at the same time maintaining proper suspension/driveline geometry.

Caveat is after you do, your going to want more rubber to fill the wheel wells.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:17 PM

I have been under the impression that a lift kit will make the ride more rigid, and a leveling shock or coil over would only raise the front end. My thought was that if I leave the rear shocks in place and only treat the front end it would have less of an impact on the quality of the original ride, and aesthetically look right, getting closer to that rear 40" match. Does that approach mess with drive line angles or geometry. Is that a bad idea, and waste of modification dollars.
Thanks
Old 09-30-2017, 07:24 PM

I have been under the impression that a lift kit will make the ride more rigid, and a leveling shock or coil over would only raise the front end. My thought was that if I leave the rear shocks in place and only treat the front end it would have less of an impact on the quality of the original ride, and aesthetically look right, getting closer to that rear 40" match. Does that approach mess with drive line angles or geometry. Is that a bad idea, and waste of modification dollars.
Thanks
Level kits do NOT maintain proper suspension/drivetrain geometry and the result is a harsher ride, it's just that simple.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:26 PM

RNLCOMP, thanks for you input. If my thinking is way off course I can adjust. Do you know What size lift kit would match or get really close to the desired 40" rear and not drive me into having to purchase new shoes
Old 09-30-2017, 07:27 PM
On down the highway

Received 1,667 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Just my 02 cents. From best to less would be
Lift with new coilovers and shocks
Coilovers
Bilstien leveling shocks
Puck level
Lower the rear to match the front
Old 09-30-2017, 07:37 PM

RNLCOMP, thanks for you input. If my thinking is way off course I can adjust. Do you know What size lift kit would match or get really close to the desired 40" rear and not drive me into having to purchase new shoes
The lift I installed on my truck is a 4". It raises the front 4" and the rear 2", that's where the level comes from, the reason for the oem like ride is it's designed to lower the entire load carry suspension components as well as drivetrain components such as axle shafts if 4x4 and such.

Example:
The following users liked this post:
Tgunsthought (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 08:33 PM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

Thanks
It looks like you have a 4x4. You can simply remove the rear blocks if all you want to accomplish is leveling it. Easy, free, and maintains the stock ride and handling. It will drop the rear just enough time o look more level....the front stays where it is. There is a huge thread on it.
Tgunsthought (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 09:52 PM

Thanks for input, I do like the height (40" rear wheelwell apex) of the back end of truck and am trying to lift the front to matching that 40". Rnlcomp made a point of telling me that a lift kit may drive me to new rubber, and that's not something I necessarily want to do. I think the wheelwells look good or full with no more than approximately 8 inches of distance between wheel well apex and my 275/55/20 tires. Let's say I don't want to exceed that or it will look like I will need additional rubber.

I think I'm on the right track mudder offered a best to less approach however don't specifically know which brand lift kits (new coilovers and shocks) fit this application.

And I see that I can potentially remove a rear OEM shock block, but that somewhat defeats the overall intention. Any ideas on which application applies whereas no new shoes are required to fill wheelwells
Old 09-30-2017, 10:05 PM

Rnlcomp that's a nice looking truck sir, I like the set up just a little rake... mine is too drastic with a 3" difference. Looking at your truck appointments, I really like the bed size, and exhaust tips, truck looks well sorted out.

To busy staring at your truck, and I missed your point regarding OEM ride like by lowering the suspension and drivetrain components.
So am I to assume that what ever lift kit I chose that it will lift the rear of the my truck higher than it already is at 40".

Last edited by Tgunsthought; 09-30-2017 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Left out key point
RLXXI (09-30-2017)