Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED fog/driving lights

Old 10-19-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED fog/driving lights

Hello, purchased a set of led's fog/driving lights but having trouble hooking them up...installed them between the front liscense plate looks great, I wired fog lamps direct in the past at least 4 to 5 times like this, what I do is I run a wire to the battery (positive) run that down to both positive wires and keep running it through to the switch in the cab and then join the 2 ground wires together for grounding both and never once had problems so I did the same for my led's but the lights stay on even when the switch is off what am i doing wrong? The dealer told me i dont need a relay with led's, please help!! Thanks..
Old 10-19-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Led bulbs need very little power to omit light. You are getting power bleed thought the switch that you are using. You can either upgrade the switch to a more expensive one or try a higher quality led.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Slothful
Led bulbs need very little power to omit light. You are getting power bleed thought the switch that you are using. You can either upgrade the switch to a more expensive one or try a higher quality led.
So it might be just the switch you think, if so i'm trying a new one in the morning....
Old 10-19-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

could be the switch, other people are having the issues when replacing the interior bulbs with the LED's. I know the problem is power bleed to the bulb when the switch is off.
The following users liked this post:
Fastf3 (10-19-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Slothful
could be the switch, other people are having the issues when replacing the interior bulbs with the LED's. I know the problem is power bleed to the bulb when the switch is off.
Thanks i'll give er' a try!
Old 10-20-2012, 01:48 PM

Well changed the switch the lights turn off but the power wire gets very hot have to disconnect it too much power through the battery or is the wire not big heavy enough?? Need help once again please

Last edited by Fastf3; 10-20-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:52 PM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

larger wire if that wire is getting too hot to start.

I usually wire like this
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/...324-185570.jpg
Old 10-20-2012, 04:13 PM

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

I would certainly think that 16ga wire between the battery and the switch should be fine. Run a wire from the battery to the switch (including a fuse. Figure out how many amps the lights will draw, then install a fuse that's good for a couple amps over that total.) From the other side of the switch, run a wire up to the fog lights, splitting it somewhere to run power to each light. Then of course run a ground for each light
Old 10-20-2012, 04:20 PM

Going to try something else like you both have mentioned and go from there my plans were to get these set up today but really really raining to hard to try but will do if it clears or wait til tomorrow thanks all!!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by MZEMS2
I would certainly think that 16ga wire between the battery and the switch should be fine. Run a wire from the battery to the switch (including a fuse. Figure out how many amps the lights will draw, then install a fuse that's good for a couple amps over that total.) From the other side of the switch, run a wire up to the fog lights, splitting it somewhere to run power to each light. Then of course run a ground for each light
Thanks again it works!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED fog/driving lights