Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak Inside Cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak Inside Cab

Hey guys,

Ive been having a problem with a leak inside my 2014 F-150 FX4. Water is dripping out of the passenger side grab handle and drips onto the floor, also the headliner on the passenger side around the sun visor is also damp. I had my ford dealer take a look at it and they said that it was my satellite antenna on the roof leaking and so they re-sealed that and it seemed to have worked. However after a decently heavy rain and cold weather, this morning there was water dripping from the handle again and the headliner was wet. They said there was no issues with the seal around my sunroof, they also said that the windshield in the truck was not a ford windshield, I am wondering if its possible that the seal put in for the aftermarket window is failing? Or could it be something else?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2019, 04:50 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

I would be more inclined to think it would be the sunroof. It could be plugged up drain hoses.
The following users liked this post:
Murphz (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 04:53 PM

Hey Mike,

Is there any way that I would be able to check those myself?
Old 01-07-2019, 05:01 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/10-mi...ak-fix-409873/
Old 01-07-2019, 05:32 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

Originally Posted by Murphz
Hey Mike,

Is there any way that I would be able to check those myself?
Check out the link above to the thread. That will tell you exactly how to check/repair it. Thanks to Rick for posting that!
Ricktwuhk (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 06:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A good diagnostic is to close the windows, turn the fan on high, and pour some soapy water over the sunroof, rear brake light, and rear window. Mine was blowing huge bubbles out the seal around the rear window. Had to have it pulled and re-sealed, but same symptoms as you're having.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:24 PM

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Third brake light is notorious for water leakage. Sign will be obvious when you open ... especially a blown light.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:43 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Probably not your issue but mine was leaking on the drivers side causing carpet under floor mat to be wet after rain. Finally found that when they built truck they left out spray foam sealant/insulation on that side ...kinda inside the front fender back close to the firewall. Would allow rain to run down inside of A pillar and make its way to the carpet. Foam was there on passenger side. Ford dealer sprayed some crappy yellow great stuff foam which fixed the issue but stood out like a sore thumb. I painted it black to make it match.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:57 PM

Default same problem

Originally Posted by steelerz1
Probably not your issue but mine was leaking on the drivers side causing carpet under floor mat to be wet after rain. Finally found that when they built truck they left out spray foam sealant/insulation on that side ...kinda inside the front fender back close to the firewall. Would allow rain to run down inside of A pillar and make its way to the carpet. Foam was there on passenger side. Ford dealer sprayed some crappy yellow great stuff foam which fixed the issue but stood out like a sore thumb. I painted it black to make it match.
I am having the exact same issue with my 2015 F150 Supercrew. The leak is on the drivers side, coming from up and behind the e - brake assembly. It drips into the door sill and has soaked my drivers side carpet.

I took it to a local deal and after a quick 60 minute diagnosis, they told me my third brake light AND my sliding rear window was leaking. They would be happy to replace both for $1700.00! I picked up my truck and took it to Safelite Auto Glass Repair. Safelite spent hours testing the back window before assuring me that it was NOT leaking. They told me my third brake light was leaking. I replaced the seal in my third brake light and noticed that the original seal was close to failure but it was not leaking.

I spent the next two days trying to find the source of the leak. I totally eliminated the the third brake light and the rear window. I found that it only leaked into the cab when I poured water down the drivers side window near the A pillar. I felt pretty confident that my 12 month old windshield that Safelite had installed was now leaking. I went back to Safe lite where they happily checked it out by taking out the window. They called and assured me that the seal was intact and they didn't see any signs of water intrusion. They re-sealed the windshield under their great warranty and off I went.

So now I have eliminated basically everything but the cowling leak. It seems that one must remove the fender in order to re-seal all possible entry points and where its obvious the old seal material has failed. I don't have ANY spots or dampness anywhere on my headliner. No moon roof either.

I was thinking of taking it to a body shop as the dealer could be a big mess. Any suggestions? Does anyone have an idea what this has cost in the past? This is so frustrating!!!!!!!!!

that little blue spot is the colored water that I used

Last edited by ballyhoo; 02-14-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wet carpet

Hi, my driver side and passenger gets wet while the vehicle is staying and its raining? did u manage to fix your problem? If so what did u discover.
psolis83 (05-12-2019)

Quick Reply: Leak Inside Cab