Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just me & Athena or...what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it just me & Athena or...what?

My truck (nickname Athena)--she is very pretty, blue, 2005 supercrew--5 1/2 foot bed so what's the big deal? She fits into all parking spaces. I nonetheless have learned to park her in Siberia ie the outer reaches of parking lots so she doesn't get dinged. This is not always possible however. In hotel parking lots I have three times in the last year (including last night) had a car back into my truck (I tend to back in to park with the front facing out in case it gets very crowded, because it's easier to leave a space driving forward than backing up). Twice it was hit and run, last night I caught them and part of my bumper is crumpled, so their insurance should cover a replacement, and finally my bumper will be pristine again (also some paint is damaged).

But sometimes I feel like my truck is a magnet. Like, if I park far away from everybody else, I come out and I'm flanked. Whazzup with that? Is my truck some kind of silent confirmation that where I've parked is worthy, and you should park there too, right next to me?

I've had strangers case out my truck--and because I'm in the south, if they're male strangers, they seem rather skeptical or annoyed that it's mine (I'm female). "Is this your husband's truck?" I've been asked while pumping gas solo. "How did you come by this truck?" "Are you considering selling your truck?"

Last night with the parking lot accident, the gal at fault, her Dad was rubbing his finger on the paint taken off on my truck, and I told him very bluntly to get away from my truck. "I'm not harming the truck," he protested. "It's my truck, get your hands off it." Then he turned to my husband, "Sir, is this your truck?" I interrupted and said, "I'm a woman, and it's *my* truck."

And hey, it's not an F350 or anything. I still remember parking at the hardware store in Wimberley, Texas, and an F350 parks next to me, dwarfs my truck, and a little petite lady gets out!

Maybe people are always dinging Ford trucks, fascinated by Ford trucks? Please enlighten me!

Last edited by jenbooks; 05-14-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

I agree Jen. It's aggravating that I can park my F-150 or the Wifey's Mustang in the boon docks, come out of the store, and yep there's two rust buckets parked on either side. I can't figure it out either.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:52 PM

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

"I agree Jen. It's aggravating that I can park my F-150 or the Wifey's Mustang in the boon docks, come out of the store, and yep there's two rust buckets parked on either side. I can't figure it out"

Perhaps their goal was p_ss you off? If so, it sounds like it worked. I must have bought a "intimidating" looking truck. It doesn't matter if I get the closest spot from the door, folks seem to stay away from it. It's a FX4 with HIDs and 20s in grey and a smoked bug deflector, so it might appear to be driven by someone with a sunburnt neck.................
The following 2 users liked this post by elfiero:
jenbooks (05-14-2014), Wanted33 (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 01:18 PM

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

20 minutes after I picked up my Ranger from the body shop after it had been there for 2 weeks getting repainted, I go somewhere, park on the outer edge of the parking lot like you do, and no kidding, this is what I saw happen: 2 minutes later, a big SUV parks next to my truck, and the passenger, a 10 year old girl, opens the door to get out, and she puts the door of their SUV right into my pristine, brand new paintjob on my driver door, dinging the paint down to the primer and leaving a nice micro-dent in my door.

That's when I realized there is no God.

Last edited by jgiddy; 05-14-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:39 PM
LONE STAR

Received 629 Likes on 432 Posts

I experience this all the time. Park my truck far away an come back to find it surrounded by other vehicles. Sometimes, I have other folks who drive trucks and they park next to me and I get that. Other times, it's POS vehicles parked a few inches from my door.

The problem I have is that I park away on purpose because I have to open the doors on the F150 pretty wide. Unfortunately, we have the problem of not having effective stops in the door mechanism. There are times that I need to hold my door with one hand so that it does not rest up against the other vehicle.

But like you said.....it's like the truck is a magnet for other people in parking lots. On another note.....what's with guys in expensive European SUV's trying to race me at traffic lights??....

Folks driving $75,000 SUV's seem to be pretty interested in my $22,000 pickup truck. LOL
Old 05-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by elfiero
"I agree Jen. It's aggravating that I can park my F-150 or the Wifey's Mustang in the boon docks, come out of the store, and yep there's two rust buckets parked on either side. I can't figure it out"

Perhaps their goal was p_ss you off? If so, it sounds like it worked. I must have bought a "intimidating" looking truck. It doesn't matter if I get the closest spot from the door, folks seem to stay away from it. It's a FX4 with HIDs and 20s in grey and a smoked bug deflector, so it might appear to be driven by someone with a sunburnt neck.................

You've been talking to my dear Wifey haven't you. I've said many times that the Lord put other people on this earth just to aggravate the hell out of me.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by KILOFINAL

.....what's with guys in expensive European SUV's trying to race me at traffic lights??....
They hate Fords
Old 05-14-2014, 04:46 PM

OMG jgiddy my heart goes out to you.

Originally Posted by jgiddy
That's when I realized there is no God.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by jenbooks
OMG jgiddy my heart goes out to you.
Really? It was a tongue-in-cheek/facetious statement..

Last edited by jgiddy; 05-15-2014 at 11:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jenbooks (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 10:26 PM

Default Humor

Yes, jgiddy, I recognized the tongue in cheek. Just saying its lousy you got dinged after a new paint job!