General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought my "not so ECO"-Boost F-150

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my "not so ECO"-Boost F-150

Just bought a used 2011 F-150 FX4 "ECO"-Boost. This is my 5th F-150, first one post 09 though. Holy crap love the 6 speed tranny what a difference! The Turbo V6 has great power. I drove it back for Texas to AZ this last weekend and doing 85-90 on the freeway I was around 2300 RPMs getting 11.5 MPG...does that sound right?

I don't really care but I thought is should do better than that...around town I'm getting 12ish. I don't have my foot in it but it seems to be doing about the same as my 5.4L 4 speed on MPG.

Again don't care, and the power and tranny combo absolutely blows the 5.4L 4 speed out of the water.

Anyway love the truck so far...
Old 08-14-2013, 11:17 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

If you have large or LT tires and its a super crew with a 3.73 rear end , then its not that bad. Doing 85 to 90 you should get about 15 mpg on the highway.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:21 PM
TTV6>V8

Received 280 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by $1KaDay
Just bought a used 2011 F-150 FX4 "ECO"-Boost. This is my 5th F-150, first one post 09 though. Holy crap love the 6 speed tranny what a difference! The Turbo V6 has great power. I drove it back for Texas to AZ this last weekend and doing 85-90 on the freeway I was around 2300 RPMs getting 11.5 MPG...does that sound right?

I don't really care but I thought is should do better than that...around town I'm getting 12ish. I don't have my foot in it but it seems to be doing about the same as my 5.4L 4 speed on MPG.

Again don't care, and the power and tranny combo absolutely blows the 5.4L 4 speed out of the water.

Anyway love the truck so far...
I see this is your first post...first off, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new truck!
Just figured I'd chime in here. You probably won't get a lot of ppl replying to this thread based on the fact there are a million Ecoboost MPG threads.
Thing with the EB is, the faster you go the more your truck will be in the boost. The more boost the more fuel. If you go say from 90mph to 70-75mph you'll see a significant increase in fuel mileage. That being said I think 11.5mpg sounds pretty low. If the truck is completely stock all I could really suggest is getting you ECM reset and let the truck "learn" your driving habits.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:15 AM
Ford first timer.

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Keep your wind drag down, keep the engine under 1500 RPM & drive smoother (less stop & go). Learn the truck & you can do this :

This was my today after 35 minutes at 60 mph drafting a tractor trailer & then 10 minutes of smooth in traffic driving. 4x4, supercrew, 3.73 rear end & a full tank of gas.
***This is not everyday, this is using just a couple hypermiling techniques.

One of my better runs to date. If I drive it normally, I am at about 19 mpg.

(and -Yes- it is in US gallons)

Old 08-15-2013, 12:18 AM
Ford first timer.

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Work the accelerator '' like there is an egg under it '' is the best way of describing how to drive it (or the 5.0L) for boosting your mileage.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't know what you guys have in the air in AZ but I drove my eco crew 3.55 4x4 from Washington state down to phoenix over to san diego and back up to Washington totaling about 4k miles just a little over a month ago the worst mileage I saw was through the southern states I barely made the distance from phoenix to san diego on one tank.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Logan24
I see this is your first post...first off, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new truck!
Just figured I'd chime in here. You probably won't get a lot of ppl replying to this thread based on the fact there are a million Ecoboost MPG threads.
Thing with the EB is, the faster you go the more your truck will be in the boost. The more boost the more fuel. If you go say from 90mph to 70-75mph you'll see a significant increase in fuel mileage. That being said I think 11.5mpg sounds pretty low. If the truck is completely stock all I could really suggest is getting you ECM reset and let the truck "learn" your driving habits.
Like every forum ever subject has pretty much been beat into the ground. I've got 8,500 posts on a carpet cleaning forum and you see the same crap get recycled over and over. Thanks for the welcome. Once I get settled in I'll try to make it more exciting...
Old 08-15-2013, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by cerhai
I don't know what you guys have in the air in AZ but I drove my eco crew 3.55 4x4 from Washington state down to phoenix over to san diego and back up to Washington totaling about 4k miles just a little over a month ago the worst mileage I saw was through the southern states I barely made the distance from phoenix to san diego on one tank.
Heat, that's what we got...a whole lot of heat. As I recall turbos perform better in cool weather I wonder if that's the case with these as well.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Coho
Keep your wind drag down, keep the engine under 1500 RPM & drive smoother (less stop & go). Learn the truck & you can do this :

This was my today after 35 minutes at 60 mph drafting a tractor trailer & then 10 minutes of smooth in traffic driving. 4x4, supercrew, 3.73 rear end & a full tank of gas.
***This is not everyday, this is using just a couple hypermiling techniques.

One of my better runs to date. If I drive it normally, I am at about 19 mpg.

(and -Yes- it is in US gallons)

The only time I saw 28.1 was coasting down hill with a tailwind lol
Old 08-15-2013, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by jeffinthebag
If you have large or LT tires and its a super crew with a 3.73 rear end , then its not that bad. Doing 85 to 90 you should get about 15 mpg on the highway.
I've got 305/55/20 on it so I'm sure that's affecting the mileage.

In the end I'd rather drive it and have fun than worrying about my MPG

Quick Reply: Just bought my "not so ECO"-Boost F-150