Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IWE help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IWE help!!!

Hi all-
I have a 2013 F150 Limited that I've had at the local dealership here in Flushing, MI (Delehanty) a couple times for the IWE grinding noise only in 2wd. The main tech guy seems to know much about the IWE issue that my truck has been exhibiting. However, each time they say, "it must've been too warm since we couldn't hear it". As soon as I pick it up (and pay almost $100 for them to 'diagnose' the problem) the truck is making the noise as much as it ever has.

This is getting ridiculous as I'm getting tired of hearing the same lines from the dealership. My truck has 46xxx miles. I know they are just hoping that the truck doesn't make the noise anymore this year so I'll be out of my powertrain warranty. This is unacceptable to me.

Any ideas on how to get them to fix the issue before I don't have a warranty to fix this anymore???
Old 01-21-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Look up FordTechMakuloco on YouTube he has a way to diagnose 4X4 issues without tools. I used this method and found I have a dead passenger side IWE. I have vacuum running to it and its not holding the vacuum and not releasing off the cv joint.
The following users liked this post:
Archangel72 (01-27-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 08:56 AM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

You have to be persistent with these dicks. For some reason, even if you have a warranty, they will try and try to not fix your vehicle. Whether it's because they are incompetent, or just lazy, the dealer "technicians" are like the anti-christ.
Took them over a month, and me returning the truck 4 times before they finally fixed my IWE issue. I told them exactly what was wrong with the truck, but apparently they didn't like that. After they replaced the IWE on the wrong side, a wheel bearing, and even the transfer case motor(which was at my expense), they finally did the passenger side actuator and it was fixed. Same thing I told them when I asked them to fix it.
In exchange for them keeping my truck so long, I beat the living **** out of the Mercury Milan loaner car, definitely taking quite a few years off of it's life.
Moral of the story, stay on them about fixing it. Make sure to keep all your paperwork, and don't be afraid to mention an attorney. That seems to get the ball rolling.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by jabradt85
Look up FordTechMakuloco on YouTube he has a way to diagnose 4X4 issues without tools. I used this method and found I have a dead passenger side IWE. I have vacuum running to it and its not holding the vacuum and not releasing off the cv joint.
Thanks for that advice. I watched a couple different videos he made. Lots of good advice. Maybe I should bring them up at the dealership and let their techs watch FordTechMakuloco. I will actually do the test today myself to find out about the IWE vacuum.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by powerranger262
You have to be persistent with these dicks. For some reason, even if you have a warranty, they will try and try to not fix your vehicle. Whether it's because they are incompetent, or just lazy, the dealer "technicians" are like the anti-christ.
Took them over a month, and me returning the truck 4 times before they finally fixed my IWE issue. I told them exactly what was wrong with the truck, but apparently they didn't like that. After they replaced the IWE on the wrong side, a wheel bearing, and even the transfer case motor(which was at my expense), they finally did the passenger side actuator and it was fixed. Same thing I told them when I asked them to fix it.
In exchange for them keeping my truck so long, I beat the living **** out of the Mercury Milan loaner car, definitely taking quite a few years off of it's life.
Moral of the story, stay on them about fixing it. Make sure to keep all your paperwork, and don't be afraid to mention an attorney. That seems to get the ball rolling.
Sadly you are right from what I've found. This F150 being my first Ford, I was hoping for the best. I haven't always been tied to 1 automaker, but really liked the Ford truck enough to get the wife an Edge. Now I'm rethinking my decision if this is the kind of dealership experience I'm going to run into.

Where I live is dominated by GM products, so the dealerships are pretty good from my experience with dealing with problems. When I've had a problem, they have been really quick to help in a friendly way. So far, both Ford dealerships I've dealt with in the Flint, MI area have been what I would consider incompetent dealing with a couple issues.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue and I asked for the tech to ride with me. In 4x4, no noise, in 4x2, grinding noise. That indicates the IWE issue. It took a couple of trips to the dealership, but they took care of it. In my case they truly seems to want to fix it. They fixed one side and I had to take it back for them to do the other because the noise was not completely gone. Best advice I have is be persistent but nice and once they hear the noise with you in the car, they can't deny anything or play dumb. Maybe ask the service manager to take a ride.

Originally Posted by suprteacher
Hi all-
I have a 2013 F150 Limited that I've had at the local dealership here in Flushing, MI (Delehanty) a couple times for the IWE grinding noise only in 2wd. The main tech guy seems to know much about the IWE issue that my truck has been exhibiting. However, each time they say, "it must've been too warm since we couldn't hear it". As soon as I pick it up (and pay almost $100 for them to 'diagnose' the problem) the truck is making the noise as much as it ever has.

This is getting ridiculous as I'm getting tired of hearing the same lines from the dealership. My truck has 46xxx miles. I know they are just hoping that the truck doesn't make the noise anymore this year so I'll be out of my powertrain warranty. This is unacceptable to me.

Any ideas on how to get them to fix the issue before I don't have a warranty to fix this anymore???
Old 01-22-2017, 08:09 PM

They played dumb with me. "It's your tires", was the answer out of my ride-along genius.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:57 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

What is IWE?
Old 01-23-2017, 10:02 PM

Integrated Wheel End.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:43 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

OK, that's a new one to me, who came up with that, and what exactly is it supposed to be?