Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior lights don't come on when door opened

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 02:11 AM
2004 F150 5.4 Lariat

Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Interior lights don't come on when door opened

The interior lights and the cargo lights on my 2004 F150 Lariat do not come on when any door is opened. But, they do come on if the panel dimmer control is rotated all the way up.

The Owner's Guide indicates they should come on when any door is opened, and they used to come on, but not now.

Hoping someone who has fixed this before can tell me how they did it, or someone who has a wiring diagram of the interior lights circuit for this truck can share it.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:05 AM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Is the switch for your dome light set to the door option? Also, I'm not real familiar with the switch in the door itself. It could be sticking. Either a pin switch on the door jamb, or it's inside the latching mechanism itself. I used to have to spray wd40 in my latches on my Ranger and open and close the doors a bunch of times to free up the switch when my dome lights would either stop working or not go off.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 548 Likes on 427 Posts

I'd be more convinced if it were a door latch if it were one door. But all of them? I doubt. Do you hear the chime and see "Door Ajar" on the dash?
Old 12-27-2013, 12:19 PM

That's a good point.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:55 PM
2004 F150 5.4 Lariat

The dome light in my truck does not have a switch on it. I checked to be sure. Also, I just checked and neither the door ajar light on the dash comes on nor do I hear a chime sound when any of the four doors is opened.

Just checked the Owner's Manual again and it says the headlights on warning chime should sound when the headlights are on, ignition is off, key not in ignition, and driver's door is opened. This does not happen.

Also, it says the door ajar should illuminate when the ignition is in the On position and and door is opened. This does not happen either.

What does happen is that after the truck is running and it's turned off, with the drivers door open, both the two front map lights and the rear dome light stay on for about 10 - 15 seconds.

Last edited by getterdun; 12-27-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Added additional ino
Old 12-27-2013, 07:16 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

See if this is something to try.

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/10pni...ed-closed.html

"On vehicles equipped with remote keyless entry (RKE), the door ajar switches are hardwired to the vehicle security module. The (VSM) vehicle security module monitors the status of all door ajar switches, and when a door is opened, transmits a dome lamp ON signal to the instrument cluster module (ICM) through UART Based Protocol (UBP) circuit 1906 (PK), indicating a door has been opened. When the ICM receives the dome lamp ON signal from the vehicle security module, the ICM energizes the interior lamp circuits, which illuminates the interior lamps and, if equipped, the puddle lamps in the exterior mirrors."

Last edited by Papa D; 12-27-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:11 PM

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Isn't this a marvelous age we live in?
It takes a computer to turn on a dome light
Old 12-28-2013, 11:54 PM
2004 F150 5.4 Lariat

Today I removed the driver's door panel, and after much effort, removed the door lock with the door ajar switch. I checked for continuity thru the door ajar switch and got continuity whether the door lock was in the open door or closed door position. Expected continuity in one position, but not both. Probed further by removing head of switch. The bottom of this piece has a plastic head that is pushed downward by a small spring. The unremoved bottom of the switch has another piece of plastic that obviously pushes up on the bottom of the other piece. But, it stayed in the same position no matter whether the door lock was in the open or closed position. I expected it to move up and down to open and close the switch. Next I removed the bottom of the switch. Underneath I could see a round piece that moved when the door lock was switched between open and closed. But, the surface of this piece was the same in both positions: i.e., there was no cog on it or depression to alter the height of the part that opens and closes the switch. This does not make sense to me. And I still don't understand how this circuit works. For example, I would have expected that with the connector to the switch removed, the circuit would be broken and the door ajar light and interior lights would have come on. But neither did. Maybe my subconscious will come up with something tonight.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:13 AM

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Hmmm, sounds like the bottom latch on my old ranger half doors.
I had to pull it and apply generous amounts of penetrating oil and work that sucker for some time to get it to loosen up and actually work, after that it was flawless till I traded her in, probably still is.
Difference is mine was stuck with the cab lights on
Old 12-29-2013, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Martiangod
Hmmm, sounds like the bottom latch on my old ranger half doors.
I had to pull it and apply generous amounts of penetrating oil and work that sucker for some time to get it to loosen up and actually work, after that it was flawless till I traded her in, probably still is.
Difference is mine was stuck with the cab lights on
Is there an echo in here?

Quick Reply: Interior lights don't come on when door opened