General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improving Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Improving Ride Quality

Hey everyone. I wanted to ask a few questions in reference to suspension. So picked up a 2014 F150 supercrew ecoboost couple months back which i absolutely adore and the ride of it just isnt super smooth. It was very gently driven and i aquired with around 38K miles. I put about 3500 miles on it so far and i cant get over how the ride just isnt super smooth like a imagined. Per advice on here, i went ahead and put some bilsteins on the front and rear but didnt seem to improve much only a tad bit. I still feel almost every bump i roll over. I retained the springs on both front and rear since. Tires are new and are inflated at the correct PSI as well. What else can i do to improve the ride quality? Where i live the highways kind of suck, so to feel all these bumps just make my wife not want to ride in my truck lol. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:46 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

It's a truck, and it's gonna ride like a truck. If your local roads suck, you're gonna know it. Short of converting to air ride, or a custom 4 link rear with coilovers and softer suspension up front, I think you're stuck with driving a truck and having a truck ride.
The following users liked this post:
cryptodirky (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 03:47 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

It's a truck. You installed better shocks but I would guess you're getting the best ride possible. If you think the highways suck in Houston you should move to anywhere in Michigan.
The following 3 users liked this post by BCMIF150:
chimmike (05-14-2018), cryptodirky (05-14-2018), Skyrat (04-28-2019)
Old 05-14-2018, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by chimmike
It's a truck, and it's gonna ride like a truck. If your local roads suck, you're gonna know it. Short of converting to air ride, or a custom 4 link rear with coilovers and softer suspension up front, I think you're stuck with driving a truck and having a truck ride.
First time truck owner, its not as bad as im making it seem, its not horrible but i guess i have to get used to it lol. I also rode in my buddys 2017 and it felt the same way to be honest and his truck is brand new. Not 100% smooth as i thought it would be. I may consider coilovers one of these days as i had them on my Rx8 and i loved the feel it brought to the table. Expensive but could be worth it. Thanks for the reply mate.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by BCMIF150
It's a truck. You installed better shocks but I would guess you're getting the best ride possible. If you think the highways suck in Houston you should move to anywhere in Michigan.
lol highways are awful here, but yeah im sure the grass isnt always greener
Old 05-14-2018, 03:53 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by cryptodirky
Hey everyone. I wanted to ask a few questions in reference to suspension. So picked up a 2014 F150 supercrew ecoboost couple months back which i absolutely adore and the ride of it just isnt super smooth. It was very gently driven and i aquired with around 38K miles. I put about 3500 miles on it so far and i cant get over how the ride just isnt super smooth like a imagined. Per advice on here, i went ahead and put some bilsteins on the front and rear but didnt seem to improve much only a tad bit. I still feel almost every bump i roll over. I retained the springs on both front and rear since. Tires are new and are inflated at the correct PSI as well. What else can i do to improve the ride quality? Where i live the highways kind of suck, so to feel all these bumps just make my wife not want to ride in my truck lol. Thanks for any suggestions.
When you say inflated properly, where are you getting the pressure numbers from to compare with?
cryptodirky (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
When you say inflated properly, where are you getting the pressure numbers from to compare with?
Sorry, to be clear, a local mechanic that i personally know that has owned F150's suggested that i lower the pressure to 35 to 37 PSi to assist with the bounce. I was running at 40 PSi before lol. Still new to this. I dont think the ride is horrible, i was just looking to improve. i think adding the shocks definitely helped more, but i may consider something of higher quality like coilovers to get it where i desire.

Last edited by cryptodirky; 05-14-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:01 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by BCMIF150
yep, after having some fun driving around suburban Detroit, your roads in Michigan absolutely suck. Driving in the rain at night is extra fun...."where's the line? Can't tell"
cryptodirky (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 04:13 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by cryptodirky
Sorry, to be clear, a local mechanic that i personally know that has owned F150's suggested that i lower the pressure to 35 to 37 PSi to assist with the bounce. I was running at 40 PSi before lol. Still new to this. I dont think the ride is horrible, i was just looking to improve. i think adding the shocks definitely helped more, but i may consider something of higher quality like coilovers to get it where i desire.
Check the door sticker tire pressure for best overall ride quality. If that sticker states anything above 35 psi check the tire sidewall and see if it has LT on the end of the #'s.
cryptodirky (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Check the door sticker tire pressure for best overall ride quality. If that sticker states anything above 35 psi check the tire sidewall and see if it has LT on the end of the #'s.
I will check this out. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Improving Ride Quality